Stagnant in weight loss

Frat warning, but hoping for some advice

Three years ago I decided to change my lifestyle, and get healthy. I was 331 lbs, 5”9, semi athletic, just drank too much, ate like shit and hadn’t played sports or anything since high school. (Started this process at 28 years old). I started using MyFitnessPal, trying to concentrate on not exceeding certain micro levels and having a balanced macro diet.  Basically ate whatever fit within my daily caloric limit while satisfying the macro/micro criteria MyFitnessPal suggested.  I also cut my drinking back drastically(maybe 1 or 2 drinks- 2 times a month), and got a more active job. I melted weight off for 1 year.  All I was doing was using the elliptical machine at the gym everyday, and occcasionally lifting some weight (lost 80lbs in 18 months)

For the next 12 months  I started trying to be conscious of what my calories were made of, and didn’t just eat anything that fit my caloric limit, I actually omitted things that I knew were bad like pizza, cereal, candy etc.  I started taking weights a lot more serious and  got a lot stronger, but cut back on my cardio.  Lost 30 more pounds in months 19-30.  

The last 6 months I have done a slight intermittent fasting regiment (noon -5 eating window), drastically cut back carbs (~100g net carbs per day) and followed workout advice from everywhere, athlean x, Rico verhoevens app, bodybuilding.com etc.  I’ve read the whole30 book, dolces cookbook, the warrior diet book, listened to podcasts etc.  months 30-33 i dropped 12 more pounds.  I got down to 209 lbs, went from a 44”waist to a 36, shirts from 2/3x to a l/xl etc. even my wedding ring barely fit. My hat size got smaller etc.  

Months 33-now, however, I’ve gained 12 lbs, honestly haven’t cheated any extra than I always did, and workout harder than ever. I’ve meal prepped for 3 years, weigh and measure everything I eat, except for 1 meal a week that I let myself go out to lunch with coworkers, which I’ve always done, I have 1100 or so consecutive days on MyFitnessPal, and yet, I gained weight. I am stronger than ever, and my clothes fit better than ever. Is this just muscle?  Or is my body just needing some sort of shock?  I understand that the scale doesn’t represent success, and that I set out to be healthier.  But (not that it’s accurate) if I walked into a dr office, he would tell me that 221 lbs at 5”9 is obese.  The last time I went (1 yr ago)all my blood work was excellent, blood pressure normal etc, but he said at my height I should be under 200 lbs.  my initial goal three years ago was 190lbs. 

Do I need to increase my cardio?  Start doing more roadwork?  Eat less protein(I typically eat 140-160 grams)?  Anyone who has ever lost significant weight can understand the sentiment of hitting their goals.  I’ve hit a lot of mine, just really would like to get sub200 lbs

Advice?  Sorry for the frat

Weight is much less important than body composition... sounds like your build is brick shithouse. Do you know your bf% If it's healthy, your bloodwork is healthy, and your committed to continuing a healthy life gives two fucks what a scale says?

Benntheredunthat - Weight is much less important than body composition... sounds like your build is brick shithouse. Do you know your bf% If it's healthy, your bloodwork is healthy, and your committed to continuing a healthy life gives two fucks what a scale says?

For sure. I’d say I am a definite husky fat. Loose skin for sure, but I know I still could lose 20 or so lbs.  it’s not solely the scale, it’s just accomplishing a task I set out to achieve. And for me that’s very important.  Obviously I was a lazy fuckface before this.  Now I’m crushing it in my career, have endless energy, and am ten times at good of a father. But losing another 20-25 lbs would be so satisfying and beneficial. I don’t know my bf% tho

My instinct is to start running more. Maybe sign up for a 5k in the next few months and start training 3 days a week for that, and lift weights a few days a week?  I also take c4, the preworkout,  and consider maybe dropping that because it has creatine. The only other supp I take is bcaas, 

overthinking things dude.

Neil McCauley - overthinking things dude.

Likely, care to elaborate tho?  Having seen ur input on fitness and diet threads, your input holds some weight for me.  

Weight loss (if you are otherwise healthy) is calories in vs calories out. If you aren’t happy with your current weight, count every calorie you eat, figure out how many calories each day you are burning and eat 500 calories less than that. Doing that will put you on pace to lose 1 lb. per week. You can google some good maintenance calorie estimators based on your age, size and activity level.