Stand up pass (Please critique)

Hi! Can anyone check out the standping pass I did at :40.

Was my base too narrow?

thanks.

hard to tell. looks like you just stood up and had not opened his legs. Before i stand i make sure his legs are open and im controlling his hips with one hand and his knee with the other. Once i pass a knee through to pin his leg i will fight for the underhook on other side.

Huh, white belts trying berimbolos, weird.

Anyways, advice from a purple belt: your guard break looked pretty decent, except like you already know your base was way to narrow. When your opponent attempted to underhook your leg you didn't respond at all (usually by turning the knee inward you're able to prevent the lumberjack sweep).

Then you got swept. What I saw was you still fighting for the grip from the last position (closed guard) and not adequately addressing the de la Riva position.

I would have liked to see you let go of his sleeve and grab your opponents pants. I like to stuff it between my legs or go for a leg drag here.

The specific pass you do will depend on your coach's preference, but it looks you need to get your base lower and your posture more in line, get on your toes to create forward pressure and address your opponent's grips sooner.

You did pretty well in the match - but a consistent issue was you not breaking your opponent's grips, like during your opponent's pass at 4 min.

Since you train at Megatons I know a few of the guys that train there, like Adam N have great passing - you should consult with them. Good luck dude!

Tango_MF,

Thanks for the advice dude. yeah. Adam's my coach. haha.

Oh BTW, at the 4min mark, I just decided to give it to him. This was a no point submission only round robin tourney and I had 4 more matches to go. Unfortunately, I strained my right wrist after the 2nd match and decided not to continue.

HAY Burro. Your base is ok. You can actually put both your knees on his butt cheeks and sit back like in a chair. This will put a tremendous amount of strain on their ankles. Your hands then just fight for better grips. You won't tip over because the harder they fight to keep the guard closed, the more they will counter balance your weight.

I would say a couple of things - first I would step up with the right foot first.  second, dont bend at the waist so much after his guard breaks and you are dealing with his open guard.  I think you could improve your posture a bit.  Build solid passes off of good posture, so it has to start there.  

BigEyedFish -  I would say a couple of things - first I would step up with the right foot first.  second, dont bend at the waist so much after his guard breaks and you are dealing with his open guard.  I think you could improve your posture a bit.  Build solid passes off of good posture, so it has to start there.  

There was no problem stepping with the left foot first. That was the side he had the sleeve grip. So it was the correct foot.

Your legs might've been a little close together. I prefer to have a staggered stance rather than being square to them. I think your mistake was getting the cross grip with your left hand when you opened the guard. You should've used that hand to maintain hip control. It did nothing to prevent his movement and would've also been a problem in any sort of 1/2 guard or full guard as it leaves open drags, back takes, sweeps.

You could've nullified his dlr hook by pointing your knee OUTWARD, no inward. Then you just need to be aware and ready for him looking to get under for deep 1/2 or x-guard type stuff.

spiderguard,

Burro. I remember you taught me something like that 10 yrs ago. Now I'm starting to remember. I shouldn't have stopped BJJ for the longest time.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes you're correct mr armbar. Now I know why I got swept.