Standup paddleboarding style workout

Little bit of background: my shoulders and other joints are fucked from arthritis to the point that my usual pull ups/dips routine and other heavy lifting is pretty much out. I can still do some, but my joints feel like they are getting the worst of it.

I got to thinking about what else I could do tokeep my muscles activated.

I grabbed a paddle that I have from my paddle board out of the garage and just stood on the steps of the pool and began experimenting with different paddle motions/grips and have been doing a routine that leaves my muscles feeling like they have been soaked in battery acid.

This is the routing I have worked up to:

6min of forward facing twist back (makes a quarter circle arc
6 min opposite side
6 minutes forward facing twist forwards with supine grip (kind of like a hockey stick motion)
6 min opposite side
6 min traditional forward row with traditional grip (makes a straight line front to back)
6min switch sides
6 min reverse rows traditional grip (makes a like back to front)

From what I can tell, it’s about 2.5 seconds of muscle activation spread out over several different muscle groups each stroke. It’s not full range of motion, but it ads up to a lot of time under tension and it feels absolutely glorious when finished.

3 Likes

It’s also worth noting that you change the difficulty and muscle groups worked depending on how far up the paddle the bottom hand is. When I feel like I want to put the emphasis on my upper arms, I will shorten the distance between each grip, whereas if I go further down towards the water, I feel my last more engaged

2 Likes

I admire your clever evolution and adaptability to your situation and wish you the best with your conditions

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Here is the stats on the workout in case anyone is interested