Starcraft 2 armies (Terran)

question for a few of you veteran starcraft players. I have been playing quite a bit of Starcraft 2 and was curious about the composition of an army.

I get that you aim for going air, infantry or mechanized and you go from there. I have been focusing on building infantry forces, so they are made up of marines, marauders and medivacs. now in the late game should i be building siege tanks and battlecruisers to if resources permit to support my infantry force? or should i just keep working on the infantry forces as thats what i have been upgrading and teching towards? in some games i find that are dragging on i see that i have the resources to add some extra unit types to my army, and not just infantry.

thanks for any info. i was never any good at starcraft but starcraft 2 is so much fun so far i want to try and get better at it before i venture online. been playing against the AI so far.

btw, the fact that Terran supply depots act as gates and you can send them underground and pop them back up is sweet. was that feature in starcraft 1?

I'm a Protoss player but I'll give my thoughts on the matter. It depends on what matchup you're playing - for example mech works great versus Zerg (hellions for harass, siege tanks for the brunt of the attack and thors to deal with mutalisks). Against another Terran your standard build right now is Siege Tanks and Vikings. If a stalemate forms then ghosts can help break up their siege line. Against Protoss, infantry and ghosts work well, the EMP of the ghost makes it extremely effective. Later on you will have to adapt to what you scout him doing.

The most important part though is the macro. It seems like newer players concentrate on the army side of things as that's the most obvious part, but infinitely more important is macro. Generally (unless you have a specific build that requires cutting probes or something), you want to be a) maximising income as much as is safe and b) spending all that money. You never want your minerals to be over 400, but at the same time you want as high an income as possible - this is the core of Starcraft. Even if you get the army composition completely wrong, if you're on 4 saturated bases and the opponent is on 2 you'll roll over him. So if you're finding you have too much money, try to expand to a safe location, build more production buildings or get more upgrades.

Second most important thing is scouting as that will allow you to formulate a composition that counters the opponent well. Terran has the easiest scouting in the game with the scan, but the opportunity cost is pretty high because a MULE gets a lot of income fast.

The supply depot thing is new, btw. Terrans had so much clutter in the first game because of them, haha.

thanks faxon. good info. much appreciated :)

i am finding my hardest challenge is expanding properly. i can see it making a big difference. even, as you said, more important then army makeup.

Gord, it sounds like we're at about the same lvl, so let me know if you ever want to hit up some fun games to practice sometime. Might be easier than jumping in right away with the 17 twitchy uber teens (I'm ancient compared to them). Add me if you want: Dognuts193.

Same goes for anyone that wants some fun games--meaning, you can kick my ass if you tell me what I am doing wrong and help me get better :)

Eventually we shall build the might OG SC2 clan...

good post
I have limited Starcraft experience, a friend on mine loved the first one, I saw it played and it was cool, Starcraft 2 looks awesome and if I had a better system I'd be playing it.

I'm playing Age of Empire; Mythologies on DS right now it's ok so far.

I just beat GTA Chinatown Wars on DS (emulated) so you guys understand my level, that game is fucking insane and is one of the better GTA games, not because of the dual screen which is ok, but because it was genuinely hilarious. The dialouge is actaully funny, not like all the other games. The gameplay was hard, but smooth and the game itself is really interesting, again, not like the other 2 GTA versions for handheld.

4 gate is a great build to have in your arsenal and works well against all races if they're teching. Personally I don't use it too much because you set yourself back economically, i.e. the onus is on the 4gater to do big damage otherwise he'll be left behind.

Have you played the Opening Gambit challenge mission? That's a pretty useful tool for learning Terran.

Just remember to keep scouting him. Always know what ur opponent is up to.
I love terran. There are so many builds you can try but mobility does become an issue later on in the game.
All comes down to what race your opponent is up to and learn to counter him.

I suggest watch recent vods of good players. Try HuskyStarcraft & HDStarcraft on youtube.

good info. thanks guys. i will try that Opening Gambit mission.

Dark Canuck. I added you to my friends list so when I see you online we will try a game. :)

I always make it a priority as a protoss to harass very early. At the very start ill chrono boost the fuck out of my nexus to get probes out and use one or two to push 3 zealots out of one gateway as quickly as possible. From there i will go after their economy with a harass.

If that turns out well the game is already over for them. If not i see what they are building and harass expand, harass expand. Trying my HARDEST to stop them from expanding while i expand. It requires more work (ie macroing and microing) but the end result is awesome everytime.

My wins usually means me harassing early, getting them nervous and they bunker themselves in. Once i seee that i immediately expand because i KNOW they are too focused on the guys right outside of their base.

I find the key guys against the zerg as a protoss player are the sentries for the shield and forcefield and the templar dudes for their psionic storm (all zerg players mass roaches). For terran, same thing unless they get their stupid battlecruisers looking thing. Then it's mass stalkers and mother ship for me :)

Switched from Terran to Protoss this weekend. Enjoying it so far, seems to suit me a lot more. 4 wins now! LOL

One thing that helps, is before I didn't know either of the alien races, so scouting didn't help as the buildings didn't mean anything to me. Or the units. Now I can plan a bit more, as I can sort of recognise what they are doing. That doesn't mean much to you lot, but for us noob/bad players, it starts to make a difference.

Plan for the next week is to only do the 4 gate, over and over and over. Not too bothered about win/loss as it's still just a learning experience(never played any RTS before). Then move on to a different build(probably a void rush).

I'm still crap, but learning and having fun

BaldTony - Switched from Terran to Protoss this weekend. Enjoying it so far, seems to suit me a lot more. 4 wins now! LOL

One thing that helps, is before I didn't know either of the alien races, so scouting didn't help as the buildings didn't mean anything to me. Or the units. Now I can plan a bit more, as I can sort of recognise what they are doing. That doesn't mean much to you lot, but for us noob/bad players, it starts to make a difference.

Plan for the next week is to only do the 4 gate, over and over and over. Not too bothered about win/loss as it's still just a learning experience(never played any RTS before). Then move on to a different build(probably a void rush).

I'm still crap, but learning and having fun

see i pretty much knew the buildings because i played sc1; however there is a lot of new stuff so to better myself i decided to learn sc2 in the beginning by always playing random.that way by playing all of the races i would understand how they work and that in turn would help me when i play each race. you're right scouting is worth shit if you have no idea what you're seeing means.

How does the ranking system work btw?

Was doing OK(for me), had won 6 on the run and was moving up the ladder. Then was about to win another match, he only had 2 buildings left, no units, and it said can't contact server. Interweb connection was fine. Alt-tabbed out to a browser and that was fine and fast and no problems at all. When the server eventually comes back, I've lost the match, dropped 20 places on the ladder and don't have any points. I'm going to blame Activision for that.

ttt. Im down for a game anytime. SN is NickL

Mid game i generally like to have a nice pack of tanks, with my inf ball sitting in front of it tp absorb damage. I only get 1 or 2 medivacs cos I prefer to get vikings instead, thats prob bad tho lol.

If I'm vsing zerg I throw a couple of thors in too and you're set unless they have a critical mass of mutas.

If you play as terran, you need to invest in reapers 15-20 minutes into the game after you have a solid defense set up and upgrade their speed at the barracks.

take your reapers (7-10, min) and go after the enemies expansion bases and specifically target their SCVs (or whatever they use to mine). Do not make the amateur move of going after the command center. even if you lose all of your reapers, killing all of their mineral collector units sets your opponent back a ton financially, and allows you to gain the upper hand while hitting them simultaneously.

is there an OG clan set up yet?

thug, in principle that works well, but you would probably be better/safer off at THAT point in the game doing a medivac marine/marauder drop with stimpack. this way you dont need to rely on cliffs for escape and stimmed infantry does more damage than reapers.

like, starhunk can correct me if i am wrong but... outside of early scouting (like reaper into expand builds), reapers don't have much of a role anymore

i use them for hitting enemy mineral collection and they work quite well. the thing is, marine/maurader attack via medivac is slow, whereas the reapers are fast as shit and cant hit the scvs and then get the hell out of there.

damnit, just got my ass kicked twice.

freaking koreans man!

thug post your character information so we can add you (lots of people on here play regularly)