Start refusing fights when opp miss weight!!

"Doyou really believe it is a case of "happening more often", or maybe there are just more MMA events and more press surronding them therefore the incidents are getting more press?"

I have read this forum for 10 years, fighters missing weight is definetely a bigger problem today then it was a few years ago.

I can't recall a fight in Pride where a guy didn't make weight. I'm sure they exist, but I don't recall one.

Compare that to the Travis Lutter or Thiago Silvas of the MMA world. Add Anthony Johnson to the list, the biggest question going into his next few fights is not if he will win but if he will make weight.

Everyone is hung up on how to penalize fighters that miss weight AFTER they've missed weight.

Why no talk of measures to PREVENT missing weight?

Joe Lauzon - ...the penalty for missing weight should be much greater.

Miss weight = lose fight by DQ

No one would dare miss weight if they would LOSE a fight by not making the limit. That...or they would book fights at a more suitable weight class.

DJLastCall - 

The fighter who did make weight should not be penalized by being denied a fight unless the weight difference is so significant that it's unsafe.

inf0 - Yeah and Zuffa will really love having to cancel the fight... not a smart career move.

So it's a smarter career move to take one for the team, get KTFOed and then get cut by Zuffa because you have a loss on your record?

That's basically what happened to Jason MacDonald when he agreed to fight a 4 lbs over Wilson Gouveia. (who was basically a LHW at the time)

And Yoshida is likely to get cut with his 2 straight losses.

DJLastCall - Everyone is hung up on how to penalize fighters that miss weight AFTER they've missed weight.

Why no talk of measures to PREVENT missing weight?

Joe Lauzon - ...the penalty for missing weight should be much greater.

No one would dare miss weight if they would LOSE a fight by not making the limit. That...or they would book fights at a more suitable weight class.

This would wreak havoc with rankings and title contention.

10% per pound over sounds good but I wonder if some wouldn't just take the pay cut to come a few pounds over. A flat 50% may be better in this regard and also taking away any win bonus. Perhaps an automatic one point deduction for the first round but we cannot penalize the offender too harshly or they may use some injury or fainting excuse to pull out of the fight altogether.

Or perhaps make weigh-ins the day of the fight so fighters cannot try to cut so much and miss weight.

I'd agree with a DQ for the person that didn't make weight. Fight doesn't happen, person that makes weight gets his show/win money and his opportunity to thank his sponsors for standing behind through training EVEN THOUGH THIS WORTHLESS SACK OF SHIT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO FIGHT DIDN'T MAKE WEIGHT...

Don't forget the forfeit option as well. You don't make weight, you lose by forfeit. DQ is almost too light, you obviously didn't give two shits but you still want to fight?

Sorry, I'm a hater of weight cutting. It's legal but I don't agree with it. Never have, never will.

it should be mandatory 20% to the other guy, and an extra 10% for every pound over

that way if you have people missing and not caring, they pay the fuck up.

Something needs to be done that acts as a significant deterrent. Currently there is very little in place to protect the fighter who has done everything right and made weight.

I'll put it in a hypothetical. What if you were a fighter and you knew that winning the next fight would put you in line for the title. Would you not give up 20% of your purse to give yourself a significant advantage over the other fighter? Its a smart investment.

perfy - 10% per pound over sounds good but I wonder if some wouldn't just take the pay cut to come a few pounds over. A flat 50% may be better in this regard and also taking away any win bonus. Perhaps an automatic one point deduction for the first round but we cannot penalize the offender too harshly or they may use some injury or fainting excuse to pull out of the fight altogether.

Or perhaps make weigh-ins the day of the fight so fighters cannot try to cut so much and miss weight.

I like this idea, but make it 15% per lb, plus 1 point fixed penalty for missing weight up to 3 lbs. So at 3 lbs, you lose 45% of the money plus you start off down 1 pt. And if you're 4 or more lbs over, should be DQ - at that point, you're not even close.

Oh, and your "lost money" goes to the guy that fights you... win or lose.

They're supposed to be "professionals". They should fine the hell out of these guys.

bryanand - It sucks for the fans, but I think guys need to start refusing to fight people who miss weight. This is really becoming a common occurrence the past few years in MMA and I think the precedent needs to be stopped.

I am not saying that fights like Johnson/Yoshida or Hughes/Alves would have gone different but this is starting to get ridiculous.

There are numerous problems with this situation.

Fighter's can't afford to lose the money (or sometimes the opportunity.) or fighter's might fear retaliation by the promoter/promotion.

What they need to do, is institute some type of policies to discourage or minimize the practice altogether. Either same day weigh ins, or a walking around weight that is more reasonable (ie 10 or 15 lbs). Dropping 50lb is just asking for trouble. If I was Dana, I would never gamble on Johnson for a PPV main event.

I think the answer is to put it on the hands of the athletic commission.

If a fighter doesn't make weight he should not be allowed to fight by the commission. This way the pressure is not on the fighter who did make weight.

It is fucking bullshit that someone gets a chance to fight in the 'UFC' and doesn't make weight!

he should have to start the fight from the bottom

What sucks because even when you beat the guy who didnt make weight they use it as a back door excuse. Its a no win situation for the guy who makes weight.

What sucks because even when you beat the guy who didnt make weight they use it as a back door excuse. Its a no win situation for the guy who makes weight.