Started drinking

Hey all

Seen some posts by members saying they're "done with alcohol". Thought I'd create my own post based on my experiences.

I just turned 28. I've never really drank before in my life. By that I mean I would drink maybe one night year if I was at a big party or something I went to

Lately (past 6 months) ive been having a lot of health anxiety/hypochondria. Fear of death, thinking I was randomly going to have a heart attack/stroke etc. Comoleyely irrational fears but It was really interfered with my life. Tried everything including medication. Only thing that's worked for me is alcohol. It's the only thing that can seemimgly calm my nerves and bring me to a state of normality .

It sucks that it's high in calories and expensive but hey its working and I feel great.

Alcohol is great and has really helped me. It however gets a really bad reputation I think .

Have a good day guys.

murfamurph -

Tried everything? Did you try meditation? Sounds like it would help if you have the will power. Drinking is easy, you take a sip, feel temporarily better. That does not solve the problem, it makes it worse. Any real healing will be work. 

I've tried it once. Of course that's not enough to notice any difference .

I guess I'm a little turned off of meditation because my dad was riddled with mental health issues and meditated daily but still suffered mentally. Of course everyone is different . He also prayed daily but again it didn't seem like he got the answers he was looking for.

*He passed away a couple months ago fom lung cancer (smoker) RIP .

Welcome to life.  I didnt hit what youre going through until 32.

ps life gets tougher with age in my experience so far (42yo) but more interesting.  Much more interesting.

I agree that alcohol gets a bad rap...

But it's for good reason...

Most people can't handle it... But it certainly helps when you have to deal with shit, but you still have to deal with it... Whatever you're going through doesn't go away just because you drink... This is the fine line where most people get lost... Before you know it, you're caught in an alcohol laced spider web...
Like in fight club, Tyler Durden says, "the things you own, end up owning you...."
It's the same with alcohol and it's a very slippery slope... You start drinking because it's no big deal, you are in control, but after a while, the alcohol starts controlling you... There is ALWAYS a reason to drink.... ALWAYS.....

But it CAN help you, you just have to be smart with it... It totally helps but you can't dip into that well too many times....
And that's the game... If you're waking up with regret every morning, saying, "oh no, what did I do last night..?", that's bad... Like, really fucking bad.... But if you can handle your shit, have a few drinks to take the edge off and not get all weird and shit, fuck it.... Have a few drinks and stay safe...
Most people can't do that though....