started my son at wrestling this week

started my son wrestling this week

he just turned 7 and has been wanting to go and i took him to his first practice on tuesday and his second practice last night

he is loving it,  was super nervous at the start both nights but had a great time and at the end of each night he couldn't wait to come back.  he wishes it was everyday.

he got his butt kicked last night some but i explained to him thats all part of learning.

Like PA has good wrestling....pfft!

Nice. My oldest daughter won provincials this last season. She's got a couple wrestling camps this summer she's pumped about.

She even started doing some off season weight lifting and training. Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Isn't Pretjah from NJ?

If he moved, he didn't tell me! That ass!

DaveFu - Like PA has good wrestling....pfft!

i live in NJ

a few weeks ago his 1st grade class had to do a project on what they wanted to be when they got older

everyone did what job they want to be when they grow up, policeman, baseball player, teacher, nurse, etc

my son wrote about wanting to be a penn state wrestler

lol

You're gonna have an awesome and terribly anxious time sitting in the stands cheering on your little warrior!

I know I do. It's tough to be in the stands. I'm always so nervous when my girls compete.

It pays off when you get memories like this though man...

http://m.imgur.com/oLFRoP9 Phone Post 3.0

I'd wrestle for coach Doug Stanhope!

Good job! Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 - 
Pretjah -
DaveFu - Like PA has good wrestling....pfft!

i live in NJ

a few weeks ago his 1st grade class had to do a project on what they wanted to be when they got older

everyone did what job they want to be when they grow up, policeman, baseball player, teacher, nurse, etc

my son wrote about wanting to be a penn state wrestler

lol

Will he wrestle against BNS? (Byram, Netcong, Stanhope)

I wrestled for BNS at his age.

i have no idea about tournaments or anything yet

he is at Steve Rivera's Elite Wrestling in Jackson

King Trav - You're gonna have an awesome and terribly anxious time sitting in the stands cheering on your little warrior!

I know I do. It's tough to be in the stands. I'm always so nervous when my girls compete.

dude just sitting and watching practice is tough

i want to get out there and coach him so bad

especially now that he's just starting and getting handled easily by other kids.

First year is tough, I waited until my younger one could participate and this past winter was both my sons first year(7 and 9 years old). It was a town rec program, but was run much better than the other rec programs. They pushed the kids pretty hard and also provided good instruction. It's a great sport for young kids IMO, but not for everyone.

Pretjah, what's the costing you a month? I want to put my nephew into kids Jiu Jitsu where I trane but he's only 4 now. I'm thinking sometime between 5 - 7 would be a good starting age. Phone Post 3.0

LiveWire - Pretjah, what's the costing you a month? I want to put my nephew into kids Jiu Jitsu where I trane but he's only 4 now. I'm thinking sometime between 5 - 7 would be a good starting age. Phone Post 3.0

pm'd

King Trav - You're gonna have an awesome and terribly anxious time sitting in the stands cheering on your little warrior!

I've gotten warned once over the PA loudspeaker and was told to "leave the floor" at two taekwondo tournaments down here in puerto rico.

It's mostly because I am the only one screaming english. In my insanity defense, they are very bias, esp against non spanish speaking americans from the west part of the island. Lol

I couldn't imagine sitting there quietly and not supporting my child, even if they did suck. Phone Post 3.0

Seven is a decent age to start. Lots of tough wrestlers started around then. Hope your kid enjoys it.

I've seen former college wrestlers start their kids off with gymnastics before easing them into wrestling at age ten or so. The theory is gymnastics boosts the kid's functional strength and coordination, which in turn makes it easier to pick technique up when they finally get on the mat. Phone Post 3.0

My son isn't quite two, but I can't wait to get him into wrestling, lacrosse and BJJ.

This has nothing to do with my own insecurities/inadequacies, but I know my son is a lot like me, and those three sports are my greatest passions, so I want to share those with him.

It will definitely be hard not to go ape shit cheering for him though.

I coached lacrosse up through the high school level, and I'm a pretty loud, intense guy, so I know how hard it is to dial it back when you're invested, and that level of investment doesn't touch the investment you have in your own child.

My dad never took me to do shit.
In my book, you are an awesome dad. Phone Post 3.0