Started Watchin The Sopranos

Yeah I know .. I am late to the game. I intially ignored the show because I felt it was gimmick riding on Scrocesse movies, but I figure I give it a shot since they are making a prequel movie. I am also a sucker for gangster films since I was a kid.

So far I am  3/4 through the first season and I'll admit it is compeling. Gandalfini (RIP) is a joy to watch like any great actor like Denzel and Nicholson. The college episode was great and the episode where Tony tries to fit in with the WASP crowd was interesting. I was LOL'ing at the episode where SJW Italians were complaining about Italian protrayals in movies. Overall the episodes have been consistently good and the show is definitely a fresh take on mafia.

I take it gets better as the seasons progresses? (dont spoil anything for me btw)

just for fun...

3 Likes

It only gets better. Enjoy it.

2 Likes

Good quality show all the way through. Gandolfini was made for the role of Tony. So many great supporting actors too.

1 Like

It gets good , except the parts of the therapy, I would fast forward all those ...also, I didn’t. Know they were making a prequel movie???

1 Like

Never watched it either! Worth the time investment? Loved gangster flicks 10-20 years ago but haven’t watched many recently - loved Donnie Brasco / Carlitos Way as well as the obvious ones like goodfellas (never got into scar face or godfather tho)

1 Like

dios -

It gets good , except the parts of the therapy, I would fast forward all those ...also, I didn’t. Know they were making a prequel movie???

It is called the The Many Saints of Newark. It was supposed to come out this year but delayed till next year.

I think it focuses on "Spiders" (don't know the character's name) dad and Tony's father.

Just wait till OP discovers MASH!

1 Like

The goat show, really is the absolute best. Drama, action, comedy, it’s just perfect. You never had the makings of a varsity athlete OP lol, god damn so many great characters but yeah James Gandolfinis acting was excellent.

The most educational episode is the one where Adrianna thinks she's a music producer and everyone just nods along as they imagine what she looks like when she's airtight. 

2 Likes

The Donkeypuncher -

Just wait till OP discovers MASH!

Seen it and the movie when I was a kid.

The Very first episode really came off as a ripoff of Goodfellas. The one part where they were chasing the guy and they played an old doo wop rock song for no reason except they wanted it to seem like a Scorsese scene.  After that the show found its own voice.

i heard the honeymooners is good. you should check it out.

CuddleBug - 

The Very first episode really came off as a ripoff of Goodfellas. The one part where they were chasing the guy and they played an old doo wop rock song for no reason except they wanted it to seem like a Scorsese scene.  After that the show found its own voice.

i remember the showrunner saying on the dvd commentary that he hated that choice and it was his only regret as far as the score and soundtrack through the first several seasons.

i got into the sopranos because i wanted to start fuckin my girlfiend at the time's ridiculously hot friend. it worked!

It gets even better. First season was kind of a warmup, actually.

Balls Mahoney -

The goat show, really is the absolute best. Drama, action, comedy, it’s just perfect. You never had the makings of a varsity athlete OP lol, god damn so many great characters but yeah James Gandolfinis acting was excellent.

I agree with it being the goat.

It's what Breaking Bad, The Wire and all aspire to be.

1 Like

Kona Silat -
dios -

It is called the The Many Saints of Newark. It was supposed to come out this year but delayed till next year.

I think it focuses on "Spiders" (don't know the character's name) dad and Tony's father.

How the hell can you be 3/4 through the first season and not know one of the main characters name?

Are you one of those weird guys that pretends to know less about popular media than they actually do

It has great characters and gets good but I won't lie, last season drags. The asshole NY boss is hilarious, but mostly I just got through the last year.

double

post got disappeard

pilot episode, opening scene, when tony and christofuh run over the guy at the office park

i am in that building as we speak

The best show ever to be made IMO. 

I’ve watched it twice currently watching it again, I’m on season 6. Show is just sooo good. 

My only gripe with it is the scenes in the office with dr melfi I tend to fast forward through them. 

I think Pauli/Christoper interactions are hilarious as fuck