Starting a business from scratch (MC part outs)

I figured I would start a thread about my latest endevor. I am buying motorcycles crashed from copart and parting them out on eBay and local market places. I picked up my first bike on friday. 2008 Harley-Davidson FLHT Electra Glide I paid 2850 after fees. If my math is correct I should net about 7k gross in sales. I estimated about 1k in shipping fees and 500 in ebay fees. My plan is to sell off the easy desirable parts and get my money back within 1 month. The rest of the bike will be inventoried. Every time I get 2/3 of my initial purchase back I will buy another bike from auction. Ill keep posting as this progresses.

9 Likes

Good luck to you. :)

Keep us posted.  Since they are totaled and sold as pieces you don’t have any registration problems. 

I buy police surplus and sell too

Checking in for an update. Hope this venture is going well.

Good luck man, keep us posted

question, will storage or inventory space be an issue? i know a guy that wrecks hondas as a side hustle. he lives in the outer suburbs of sydney where land is cheap and has a massive yard/industrial site. so its kind of like a wrecking yard, but not. he only buys hondas and late models (90s onwards)

I tries this with returned plumbing stuff.  Didn't move as fast as I hoped.

Whatever u think ur profit is, cut it in half.

3 Likes

How do you determine price for your parts?

Mark

81 NAPA employees are watching this.

6 Likes

I used to do this when I worked at crashedtoys.com which is now copart.  You'll hit home runs sometimes and lose your ass other times.  It's a fun ride but I couldn't do it for a living.

Pro tip, look up NPA.

Mark1 -

Mark

Ebay sold listings

Bike is coming apart, I'm not looking to strike it rich. The goal is to make a few bucks and spend time with my father. My parents recently retired and moved down to be close to me and my brother.

As far as storage I shouldn't have too much of an issue, we have a massive garage. 

This is what I'm going to do next. The efficiency is insane

Cool. Hope it works out and you enjoy it. 

Best of luck. 

Good luck, shitter.  We are pulling for you

607_Shittin_Pancakes - 
Mark1 -

Mark

Ebay sold listings

Do you know the price for OE parts and typical aftermarket parts?

Mark

1 Like