Starting running

For the new year I am going to add some road work to my training. I have never been a runner, so I am not sure how to start. I am in moderate shape...I train bjj 2 days a week, and go to my 'TMA' school another 1 or 2, so I am not starting from square one, but I am not in great shape either. I am 39, if that matters.

How many miles should I start with? How many days a week should I run?

Good advice. Just pick a time limit and keep moving for the entire time. When you start most of it will be walking with a few short jogs interspersed, but as you get fitter the jogging sections will get longer, and eventually you'll start making some real mileage.

OK, day one is in the books.

The route I took only took me 26 min 23 sec to complete. I walked for about 5 minutes around the 15 minute mark. Not so much due to fatigue....my wind felt ok, but my lower legs were burning. Most the front along the outside of the shins. I assume this is due to those muscles being under utilized in my everyday life.

so is the plan every day, or every other day?

I would say every other day, maybe 3 times a week. Running is an impact activity that can screw up your shins and knees in double quick time if you jump into to it too quickly. And yes, those muscles at the front of your shins are the ones that running will hit hardest. So give them some time to adapt before overloading on them.

but my lower legs were burning. Most the front along the outside of the shins. I assume this is due to those muscles being under utilized in my everyday life.

Possibly. But shoes might be an issue as well.

Make sure you get good shoes (from a running only store!) and use them only for running. Replace them often depending on your milage (at least every year).

Make sure you get good running shoes. Also its a good idea to switch up running, with some biking. Uphills etc

I got a pair of asics with somw sort of gel thing in the heel. I got them at Khols, so my guess is they arent the latest/greatest model out there, but they seem to fit well.

I got a pair of asics with somw sort of gel thing in the heel. I got them at Khols, so my guess is they arent the latest/greatest model out there, but they seem to fit well.

Keep a close watch on your aches and pains then.

If you get a chance, hit a runner's only shoe store. You should be able to get your stride examined, and have several shoes recommended to you based on that. Expect to pay $$$$ for your first pair, but if the shoes work for you, it will be totally worth it.

If you want to get good, really good, do what this guy did..get drunk on tequila and knock out 30 miles in your first run.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/ultraman.html

get good shoes and just run. see how you feel dont go nuts and do what you can handle. running is really very simple...just do it. I wouldnt worry too too much about form and such until you have a decent base. If you do feel abnormal joint or bone pain certainly address those issues but initially just get good shoes and just run

cool, thanks.

also work in short distance sprinting to balance it out

Also your gonna experience some shit pain. Everyones body reacts differnt to running. Remember just to stick with it. even if u run 3 days a week a mile or so.

I havent run more than 800m since...well probably ever and I had to do 1.5mi today and did it in 11:15. indoors 21 laps around a very short tight track on a cement floor, no air flow no ability to spit and warm stuffy air

just get out and do it and youll be surprised at what you can do