Starting to phase out the tights

Finally, we don't have to watch to camel humps from the guard position. It's much better now where the fighters typically wear shorts now instead of tights.

Pride Fighters need to take note and follow Rampage's trend.

All joking aside, the tighter the shorts, would seem to offer better range of movement.

It seems like when I wear my baggier shorts, I just can't get the same stride length and movement. That's just in everyday life. I'd hate to be going for a triangle or something and have my leg catch on my shorts.

That said, I've never tried the newer "less-thong-like" shorts and it would create a better impression when my friends walk by my computer in the lab and see two guys in speedos rolling around... lol!

Long live the speedo. I hate loose shorts.

Peace-
Cam

ok so you guys worry about how it looks to be rolling around in spandex, gawd forbid....

then at least wear spandex under the shorts so we don't have to see an ugly jock strap...........

that's about as bad as girls who wear shirts with no sleeves & have an ugly tattered discolored stretched out bra strap showing.

sheesh, know what I mean?

Tito was the pioneer of the baggy shorts in modern MMA. He was wearing them when it was nothing else but gogo dancer pants going on out there.

Hallman's shorts were good because they had slits on the sides allowing for a full range of movement.

"Hallman's shorts were good because they had slits on the sides allowing for a full range of movement."

Mir and Franca wear those too.

"Finally, we don't have to watch to camel humps from the guard position. It's much better now where the fighters typically wear shorts now instead of tights."

Necessary to clean up the sport's image. It's holding the sport back.

"then at least wear spandex under the shorts so we don't have to see an ugly jock strap..........."

momita is correct

"that's about as bad as girls who wear shirts with no sleeves & have an ugly tattered discolored stretched out bra strap showing."

momita lost me there though

All I can think of when I see board shorts or loose shorts is visions of old WWF stuff days with guys that were named something like the the Hillbilly brothers. For me board shorts always suck cause I have very thick short legs and they hamper my movement. Thai boxing shorts don't restrict the movement but on the ground they bunch up and your junk can hang out. I'll stick with the lycra shorts. Last thing I think about with training/competing gear is whether it looks gay or what anybody else thinks I look like.

Longer spandex type shorts are the best IMO. They feel like a second skin and doesnt get in the way at all. If you are primarily a striker and not a grappler than it doesnt matter. I think the board shorts look ghetto though.

Tito was the pioneer of the baggy shorts in modern MMA. He was wearing them when it was nothing else but gogo dancer pants going on out there. If you mean that Tito copied Tank Abbot, then you're correct.

I like it when some guys wear Thai shorts, some boxing trunks, some standard Vale Tudo shorts, some board shorts/grappling shorts (like Sprawl), some even where full-lenght tights... Also, please different colors besides black

There is nothing worse than seeing two carbon copies (with shaved heads, tribal tats, black shorts) fighting each other... There is nothing grabbing to the eye.

I liked Javi's pink shorts...

I've alway said that about black fight shorts, Rich.

Gat some style. Be noticed, not generic.

I love Sprawl shorts and wish UFC would make long shorts of any kind mandatory. No more speedos. I don't mind the long spandex at all, but Carlos Newton type stuff needs to go. Also, Sprawl needs to offer more colors and designs. They are sweet but Rich and Cal are right.

MMA goes into a Fashion Statement - I never thought I would see the day!

Ken needs to bring back the Speedo cut tights for his retirement fight. Also bring in Jim Brown and Kathy Long for commentary.

I think "tights" offer better range of motion and less for the opponent to grab. Board shorts can be used against you when passing/trying to pass the guard.

Grabbing shorts is illegal... So even gi pants shoul be OK.

I don't mind speedos or vale Tudo shorts... just not on EVERYONE, and not all in BLACK

Just like rope grabbing is illegal. IT still happens. You only need to grab them for a split second to pass or defend a pass.

I'm just thankful we never had to see Tank in Spandex.