Steaks.... The OG was right.

A while ago, I read a comment about how if you get good at making your own steaks, then a steakhouse steak doesn't compare. I thought it was bull shit. But I wanted to get good at making steaks myself so I took it up. A few dozen steaks later and I'm making a pretty killer steak.

So now I'm on vacation in New York. I've ate at Wolfgangs, Minetta Tavern, Gallaghers, Keens, and Peter Luger, and I can without a doubt I can make a better steak than I've had at any of these steakhouses.

The OG was right, Im sorry I doubted you guys.

You want a great steak? Get good at making them yourself. Bit of a learning curve but it's not magic.

you've been here for 15 years and you didn't follow the number one rule.

SHAME!! SHAME!!

same applies to handjobs imo

Where did you buy beef as good as the beef Lugers has?

I've eaten/bought prime and its nothing close to Lugers.

BJ Penn Forever - Where did you buy beef as good as the beef Lugers has?

Don't places like that buy entire primal cuts and dry age them in-house?

You can technically buy the same stuff, but without that aging box it won't be the same quality. But then again, you're looking at cost-to-benefit. A $300 one-time meal with all the fixings at a high end steakhouse vs. $300 worth of prime you can cook and eat for a month.

Z NEDCMK1 - 

You can buy Lugers beef directly from Lugers.  The bacon too!

https://peterluger.com/butcher-shop/

Oh I know, I've almost pulled the trigger and ordered!

tonberry - 

You can technically buy the same stuff, but without that aging box it won't be the same quality. But then again, you're looking at cost-to-benefit. A $300 one-time meal with all the fixings at a high end steakhouse vs. $300 worth of prime you can cook and eat for a month.

They do dry age in-house.

I can't buy the same stuff, I don't have access to wholesale markets that they do and I'm not trained to select the best cuts like they are.

If I went out today and bought a prime porterhouse its just not going to be the same quality of beef.

Z NEDCMK1 - 
BJ Penn Forever - 
Z NEDCMK1 - 

You can buy Lugers beef directly from Lugers.  The bacon too!

https://peterluger.com/butcher-shop/

Oh I know, I've almost pulled the trigger and ordered!

I used to have a vendor who would send them to me every couple months.

They are super delicious and come out great. Tough to get it just like Luger's though without a high powered broiler.

e.kaye has a grill that gets hot enough, but he has yet to invite me over.

Sounds like great vendor.

Honestly not having the high temp broiler has a lot to do with why I have not ordered from the site.

e.kaye would surely invite you over if you had the porterhouses in hand.

You just can't put the crust on it like you can at a steakhouse.

The last 3 times I've been to Lugers has been disappointing. The Park Ave Wolfgangs had some great funk on their steak last two times I've been there. I was always partial to the ribeye from Quality Meats.

BJ Penn Forever - Where did you buy beef as good as the beef Lugers has?

I used to buy from the same purveyor as lugers smith n wolensky, etc

They are loxated in the bronx hunts point food mkt...master perveyors...you prob need a corp or restaurant acct w them.

I used to see the ladies from peter lugers picking their cuts when i would drop by

Fairway mkts gets their prime from the same place, but the do most of the aging in fairway, which generally sucks

Isaac298 - you've been here for 15 years and you didn't follow the number one rule.

SHAME!! SHAME!!
Shit, 15 years? Been on this forum for over half my life now.

wres157 - You just can't put the crust on it like you can at a steakhouse.

The last 3 times I've been to Lugers has been disappointing. The Park Ave Wolfgangs had some great funk on their steak last two times I've been there. I was always partial to the ribeye from Quality Meats.
"You just can't put the crust on it like you can at a steakhouse."

I absolutely can.

I sear over a raging Chimney starter. Dunno how hot it gets, but it maxes my temp probe out at 1100.

Seems the opposite for me, most steakhouses cant put a sear on a steak as well as me.

My steaks smoked and reverse seared on the grill are better than steak houses.

If your talking about a $300 dollar fucking plate -- it had better come with a nice hotel room for 2 and an open bar tab.

You don't need that fancy broiler if you have a charcoal grill.

Cook outside, faggots.

9 yrs ago i was getting prime dry aged , individually cut n sealed porterhkuses and ribeyes for 11.99 a lb....calculating for the trimmings cut off...came out to 16 a lb

I agree op 

Agreed! If you grill them, you're doing yourself a disservice as well! 

Iron skillet those bitches! About 4 minutes on each side in the pan with some olive oil, just to seal in the juices... Then bake those bitches in the oven and still in the same iron skillet for aroung 10-12-15 minutes, depending on how done you like them and again their size. 

No can defend

JitsuGuy - 

Agreed! If you grill them, you're doing yourself a disservice as well! 

Iron skillet those bitches! About 4 minutes on each side in the pan with some olive oil, just to seal in the juices... Then bake those bitches in the oven and still in the same iron skillet for aroung 10-12-15 minutes, depending on how done you like them and again their size. 

No can defend

No.

Nothing wrong with a pan fried steak. That's fine.

But grilling is BY FAR the best way to cook a steak.

Sear first or reverse sear -- both work fine.

How are you gonna get hickory smoke on a pan seared steak??

Z NEDCMK1 -
In Limbo - 
BJ Penn Forever - Where did you buy beef as good as the beef Lugers has?

I used to buy from the same purveyor as lugers smith n wolensky, etc

They are loxated in the bronx hunts point food mkt...master perveyors...you prob need a corp or restaurant acct w them.

I used to see the ladies from peter lugers picking their cuts when i would drop by

Fairway mkts gets their prime from the same place, but the do most of the aging in fairway, which generally sucks

http://shop.lafrieda.com/

when they moved their warehouse to north bergen i called them and asked if they would sell to me if i walked in, but they said no

i guess they had bigger plans to serve the everyday non commercial consumer

when i used to go to Master Purveyors, one of the sons, Matt, took me and my friend inside their dry age room which is the largest dry age room in the entire country

the old man that owns the place is awesome....a holocaust survivor with an OG sense of humor and he was picking raw meat off one of the blades and eating it like nothing

that hunts point market is a sight to behold, esp the fish market...since you love food you gotta check it out

Z NEDCMK1 -
BJ Penn Forever - 
tonberry - 

They do dry age in-house.

I can't buy the same stuff, I don't have access to wholesale markets that they do and I'm not trained to select the best cuts like they are.

If I went out today and bought a prime porterhouse its just not going to be the same quality of beef.

You can get pretty damn close if you go to a good butcher or order direct from somewhere like Lugers. If you are bouncing around the city still Lobel's and Ottomanelli have great prime aged beef, and just about everything they have is spectacular.

The real treat at Lobels is the fried chicken you can get at the counter.

If you blow your wad on steaks, there is a great dry aged ribeye with compound butter, fries and greens to be had for $23 at Le District.

I just placed an order from Lobells for Mother's Day.

Anybody ever try the koji rice dry age trick?  A colleague of mine says it really works

The thing about making it yourself, is that once you have some practice, you will make it just how you like it