Stealing an IP using AOL IM

I'm not trying to hack into anyone's computer... I want to let people find out my IP address.

I've set up an FTP server to share MP3's with my friends. The problem is that my ISP wants to charge me an arm and a leg for a static IP address. Since they renew IP's every couple days, I'd have to let my friends know what was the IP address for them to connect.

I know that it's possible to get an IP using AOL IM's gaming and send file options, but that requires some intervention on my part.

I'm looking for a way for certain people to find my IP address so they can connect to my ftp server. Any ideas?

do a direct connect

and then have the person you connected to run netstat and they should be able to figure out which IP is yours.

Yeah... I tried that, but I have to be here to accept the direct connect... I'm looking for a way to let them see my IP when I'm not here.

You need a dynamic DNS address from www.no-ip.com

Basically, you have a client that runs on your machine that updates your Dynamic DNS address whenever you're online. Then, whoever wants to reach your machine can just type in your DNS name. (Something like lefonquey1.no-ip.com)

Oh yeah, and it's free.

Nice!! I'll check that out in the morning and let you know how it goes!

Thanks guys... it worked!!

rfquinn and cajones... Send me an e-mail and I'll give you the connection parameters so you can download some stuff.

will1500@sbcglobal.net

Sorry for not posting the info on here... my DSL is kinda slow, so I don't want a bunch of people eating up my bandwidth.

I'll have to back no-ip because I've been using them for years and have had no problem. Also, you can download scripts and other programs for whichever OS you us to automatically update your IP every couple of days or on every boot.

Since I run FreeBSD I downloaded their script and set it to run every time I boot and once a day with a cron job.

You're kidding me, cajones... how retarded is that!

I don't have the fastest connection in the world, so I'm not going to give out my info to just anyone.

Why should they care what I do with the bandwidth I purchase?

Oh well... I'll just see how it goes and play dumb if they end up calling.

It's not so much that most ISPs care what you do with the bandwidth is that they're concerned that you m ay be serving up some warez or MP3s thereby bringing down the wrath of the RIAA or MPAA on their asses.

They are mainly concerned that you aren't running some sort of service on a consumer line instead of a business one. I was sent an actual physical letter telling me that I had an open mail relay (they scanned for port 25 back in the day) and that if I wanted to keep using RR, I had to shut it down.

I think you could maybe get away with running FTP on another port and giving that port out.