Stefan Struve signs 4-fight contract with UFC

Fighters Only: Stefan Struve signs new UFC deal

News Image

Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve has signed a new four-fight deal that will make him a UFC fighter until 2011, a source close to the fighter tells Fighters Only.  Struve was three fights into a four-fight deal when the new contract was tabled. Having won two of his three outings so far, the new deal is on improved terms. 

UFC 95 saw the young Dutchman - who stands 6’ 11” - make his debut, but he suffered a quick TKO loss at the hands of dangerous Brazilian Junior Dos Santos.  He bounced back at UFC 99 with a gritty comeback win over Golden Glory fighter Denis Stojnic and followed that a Submission of the Night win over Chase Gormely at UFC 104. 

Struve is being linked with a fight against Paul Buentello for his next match after Todd Duffee withdrew from a UFC 107 meeting with Buentello because of an undisclosed injury.

Guy is young and showed a lot of improvement in his last fight.

I've been very high on Struve for a long time, great opportunity for him at such a young age, and constantly improving. 

A young guy that has real potential, good signing IMO.

struve is a young prospect, he can be a great HW if they bring him along slowly. good to see the UFC realizes this.

he has great BJJ

Good luck to Stefan Struve.

he will not be anti brock anytime soon. when he fills out more with age, he'll get more power. perhaps he'd be semmy schilt w/ a ground game. I think he can really use his height and long limbs to his advantage by being even better at bjj.

I dunno about Struve. Fighting at the first fight of the prelims is a risky spot and both his UFC wins were close. So I definitely can't see him being a contender and he's got to keep winning in order to stay in the UFC.

"Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve has signed a new four-fight deal that will make him a UFC fighter until 2011"

Two fights a year for two years isn't really adequate for a young fighter to develop his skills. 

Up With Evil - "Dutch heavyweight Stefan Struve has signed a new four-fight deal that will make him a UFC fighter until 2011"

Two fights a year for two years isn't really adequate for a young fighter to develop his skills. 

Until 2011, not through 2011.  It's probably expires in the first quarter of 2011, giving him time for three fights in 2010 and one in early 2011.

Also, There is nothing stopping them from using him more often and re-signing him again prior to 2011.  Maybe he gets in three fights by September of 2010 and they rip up his contract again and sign him to another four fight deal.

Who is Struve training with now? Not still Dirty Bob, right?

Struve has skills, but he needs to get some muscle, strength and work on his wrestling. It takes time.

Would like to see him against Mir if he loses against Kongo

Time will tell.

IrishRottie - Not ready for Paul.

No, he's not. But he'll learn a lot from the fight.

got talent but he needs to start up some serious strength and conditioning.  add some mass and develop his explosiveness, he's a pretty small HW and his height kind of takes from his speed

ajl416az - got talent but he needs to do some serious strength and conditioning.  add some mass and develop his explosiveness, hes pretty skinny for HW and the height makes his movement kind of awkward.

He's already bulked up since his debut, he's 20 lbs heavier than when he started fighting, give him a few years and he'll be cutting to make 265. Kid has some good BJJ and it will only get better, he's still young. He's got the heart, lets see if he can develop the skillset. I for one am excited to see him progress

he will be a beast when he fills out.

struve needs to take it to the ground the first chance he gets or he gonna get KTFO