Stickfighting

TFS, do you know of any books which describe this more 'classical' style of sabre fencing?

Cheers,

Will

Oh, and Jason's right, sport fencing is seriously wuss. ;) Put the sword down TFS, that's a joke.I really hope you're joking.

Will,TFS, do you know of any books which describe this more 'classical' style of sabre fencing?The Phillips-Wolley "Broadsword/Singlestick/Quarterstaff" treatise has sections on saber fencing and singlestick that apply. Also, check out Luigi Barbasetti's The Art of the Saber and the Epee--his saber system is uses the Raedellian duelling model, which was the first "light" saber (though still more substantial than what is used today). English fencers like Sir Alfred Hutton didn't think much of the Raedellian saber, but that system is still far more combat-oriented (i.e., there are no points awarded for "touches" with the flat of the blade, as per modern sports saber). Also, check Ramon Martinez's website--he teaches Italian duelling saber-- www.martinez-destreza.com/ - 9k Dave/TFS

:-) @ "light" sabre. Thanks.

Cheers,

Will

anyone have or read hockheim's cqc magazine? specifically # 12 - has an article on Irish Stick Fighting - not sure if it's a reprint or an original article and i do not know the author.http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/index.htm

a friend sent me this link today to razor magazine and it had an excerpt of an article on bata/gangs of new yorkhttp://www.razormagazine.com/current-1.php

Would not the military saber manuals be a good
starting place. There's a lot out there on the web.
From Burtons to the 1905 u.s.army saber manual.
Gerald Boggs

Possibly a dumb question but what's the difference between a military and a duelling sabre?

Cheers,

Will

Will,

A military saber is a "heavy" saber--the type of weapon used by cavalry. We're talking about a weapon that weighs around 2-2.5 pounds or so.

A duelling saber is a lighter weapon altogether, and it originated in Italy in the late 1800's when it was introduced by the famous Italian maestro, Giuseppe Raedelli (that's the "Raedellian" saber I'm always referring to). Being lighter than a true fighting saber, the Raedellian model could be manipulated in a flashier fashion, and this was one of the reasons why it became so popular--bouts with Raedellian sabers were fun to watch.

Old-school sabreurs initially scoffed at this new weapon--Sir Alfred Hutton dismissed it as a "silly, little toy". Nevertheless, as the sword lost more and more of its relevance to contemporary battlefield conditions, the Raedellian model eventually ousted the military saber altogether.

These light duelling sabers could still be used for duelling, however. With a sharpened blade they could still open a nasty gash on one's forehead, which in turn would bleed into the eyes, and prevent the fighter from seeing (many saber duels ended this way).

The Raedellian duelling saber eventually evolved (or devolved, depending on your perspective) into the modern ultra-light fencing saber of today.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Best,

TFS

Thanks very much, you're a veritable mine of information.

Cheers,

Will