Stipe proves you don't need a mega gym

He's showing you don't need to come from the best gym in the world, with the biggest names for training partners to be on top. I love and respect that he didn't jump ship. 

Yep!!

Truth be told, his Gym is a mega Gym in the Midwest. Ohio is a hotbed of mma and his Gym has been at the center of the sport since the 1990s. 

Strong Style. 

HeyMarkIt1886 - 

Truth be told, his Gym is a mega Gym in the Midwest. Ohio is a hotbed of mma and his Gym has been at the center of the sport since the 1990s. 

Strong Style. 

Ya, that’s what I thought.

Being a golden gloves boxer with solid wrestling experience and a great chin is a big part too, you know

Strong Style is an excellent regional gym. It’s just not widely considered to be a super gym. I think OP is right. Stipe doesn’t need to change what is not broken. At Strong Style, he has a team that is focused on and dedicated to him. Too many fighters think they need to be at a higher profile gym, when that’s not necessarily the case.

HeyMarkIt1886 - 

Strong Style. 

As a midwesterner, there hasn't been a mega gym in the midwest since Miletich.  Roufus Sport is the closest thing we have to a mega gym, and that isn't close. 

What a GD stud!

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
HeyMarkIt1886 - 

Strong Style. 

As a midwesterner, there hasn't been a mega gym in the midwest since Miletich.  Roufus Sport is the closest thing we have to a mega gym, and that isn't close. 

Fair enough but what defines a mega gym then? A gym that has produced multiple ufc fighters? Strong style has. A gym that becomes the epicenter for upcoming mma talent in a region? Also done there. 

What am am I missing? 

People don’t realize Ohio is a wrestling meca. Stipe has tons of talent to practice with. 

There are FEW real “Mega Gyms” out there. A mega gym is a gym that has produced and lives off TOP HOME GROWN talent...do not confuse this with the many gyms people call mega gyms that are a collection of guys from OTHER places like Jackson’s, Tiger Muay Thai, the new ATT, etc.

ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -

Being a golden gloves boxer with solid wrestling experience and a great chin is a big part too, you know

he got KO-ed by Struve. so you are little bit off.

Dominique Robinson - 

There are FEW real “Mega Gyms” out there. A mega gym is a gym that has produced and lives off TOP HOME GROWN talent...do not confuse this with the many gyms people call mega gyms that are a collection of guys from OTHER places like Jackson’s, Tiger Muay Thai, the new ATT, etc.

Funny. I actually have the opposite definition. (But same opinion).

When I use terms like “super gyms,” I think of the factories that have people coming in and out of. ATT and JacksonWink are the two that most immediately come to mind.

Gyms that have produced great fighters but don’t have people running in and out of - Matt Hume’s gym, for instance - are straight up gyms in my mind.

Not in the heavier weights anyways. At that weight it's like using a sharp axe to chop down a tree. More power less technique in the chop. Lighter weights it's more scalpel and surgery. Confuscious say, anyway. But yah, you needer bigger gyms to sharpen the minute skills, not so much if swinging an axe.

Fair enough wiggum but by that definition the whole conversation becomes meaningless I suppose. Lol

HeyMarkIt1886 - 

Fair enough wiggum but by that definition the whole conversation becomes meaningless I suppose. Lol

I disagree. I figured OP meant that you can find success at gyms that build people from the ground up. You don’t need to be at ATT or JW or a few of the other gyms that get fighters to come there mid-career when they are prepping for title runs.

Morpheus1976 -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB -

he got KO-ed by Struve. so you are little bit off.

Anybody could get caught. 

0hi0direct -

People don’t realize Ohio is a wrestling meca. Stipe has tons of talent to practice with. 

This. Ohio turns out some bad ass wrestlers. Pa is right next door also, another state where wrestling is a big part of the culture

The HW division is nowhere as competative as the lower weight classes. A big punch overcomes better skills. 

There’s been a pretty significant trend happening for a while of having camps built around you instead of you training with a bunch of other good fighters.