Stipe should have finished Ngannou.

There’s no excuse for not finishing him.

Only thing I could think was he didn't want to gas his arms out and risk giving am advantage but yes, it looked like he could have finished him.

He could even have flurried enough pitter patter punches against the cage to have gotten a stoppage.

Soul Gravy - He could even have flurried enough pitter patter punches against the cage to have gotten a stoppage.

Wow, you make it sound so simple and easy to just open up and go for a finish against a guy that can turn out the lights on you at any moment with one big Hail Mary.

Maybe you should step in there against a monster. You have the right attitude and I think you could go far. Maybe even beat Stipe’s new record.

Steven McTowelie - 
Soul Gravy - He could even have flurried enough pitter patter punches against the cage to have gotten a stoppage.

Wow, you make it sound so simple and easy to just open up and go for a finish against a guy that can turn out the lights on you at any moment with one big Hail Mary.

Maybe you should step in there against a monster. You have the right attitude and I think you could go far. Maybe even beat Stipe’s new record.

Put me in the same position that Stipe had and I’ll get a ref stoppage.

He had multiple opportunities to finish it. To pretend like he didn’t is ridiculous.

Steven McTowelie - 

I would love to hear Stipe elaborate on why he chose not to punch as much on the ground. I suspect that Dom was right in the commentary: he wanted to sap Francis’s power and that was the way to do it. Stipe was also tired, too, and knew that his best defense’s against an-even-gassed Francis required that he had some energy in the tank.

I wasn’t impressed with Stipe’s performance

Get A Grip Dude - 

He could have easily choked him, Ngannou probably would have tapped the second he got under the chin just to end it.

This was a very far cry from the brutal beating Stipe laid on Mark Hunt on the ground. No elbows, almost no punches, no knees to the body, I don't really get it. If Stipe was gassed himself then it seems like choking Ngannou out would have been the best way to get out of there rather than drag it to another round and risk getting KO'd.

My suspicion: Fighting off a choke isn’t the most exhausting thing is the world. Stipe likely didn’t want to give Francis that recovery time on the chance that he didn’t get the choke.

Soul Gravy - 
Steven McTowelie - 

He had multiple opportunities to finish it. To pretend like he didn’t is ridiculous.

No, no you wouldn’t. They’re world class, dangerous heavyweights, and you’re an assclown on the internet.

1. You will never be in that position, because you’re a nobody who has never worked as hard at anything as they have worked at getting where they are.

2. If somehow, magically, you were in that exact same situation, Ngannou would stand up and put your nose through the back of your head.

3. For you to shit talk a guy for merely kicking the shit out of one of the baddest dudes on the planet, and not kicking the shit out of him to the degree that you think you would have the height of keyboard warriorism.

This place sometimes fucking sucks sometimes, and you, Soul Gravy, are the reason why. You’re a fucking jackass loser, and I’m willing to bet you don’t even realize it.

Slowshot - 
Soul Gravy - 
Steven McTowelie - 

No, no you wouldn’t. They’re world class, dangerous heavyweights, and you’re an assclown on the internet.

1. You will never be in that position, because you’re a nobody who has never worked as hard at anything as they have worked at getting where they are.

2. If somehow, magically, you were in that exact same situation, Ngannou would stand up and put your nose through the back of your head.

3. For you to shit talk a guy for merely kicking the shit out of one of the baddest dudes on the planet, and not kicking the shit out of him to the degree that you think you would have the height of keyboard warriorism.

This place sometimes fucking sucks sometimes, and you, Soul Gravy, are the reason why. You’re a fucking jackass loser, and I’m willing to bet you don’t even realize it.

Hi, Stipe’s mom. Thanks for joining us here on the forum.

Would you happen to know why the HW champion chose not to finish his opponent? I’m sure your son was resting a bit, but eventually he had to have gotten his wind back, and yet he still did nothing.

You’re right, I will never be in that position because I am not a heavyweight and therefore would not be eligible to compete in the UFC in that division. But yes, I could force a ref stoppage against Ngannou, at that point, from that ride position. I do appreciate the interest you’re taking in my MMA skills, though. Forgive me if this is presumptuous, but I’d be more than happy to give Stipe a few pointers if he’d like.

I understand you’re upset and that you feel like people are criticizing your son. That makes you a good mother. But we’re not attacking him. Really, we’re just wondering why he deliberately chose not to finish an opponent who was ready to go at any point from the third round on.

Thanks against for dropping by. :slight_smile:

Frenchie dominated. Screwed by the decision because he’s black and/or French.

Soul Gravy - 
Slowshot - 
Soul Gravy - 
Steven McTowelie - 

Would you happen to know why the HW champion chose not to finish his opponent? I’m sure your son was resting a bit, but eventually he had to have gotten his wind back, and yet he still did nothing.

You’re right, I will never be in that position because I am not a heavyweight and therefore would not be eligible to compete in the UFC in that division. But yes, I could force a ref stoppage against Ngannou, at that point, from that ride position. I do appreciate the interest you’re taking in my MMA skills, though. Forgive me if this is presumptuous, but I’d be more than happy to give Stipe a few pointers if he’d like.

I understand you’re upset and that you feel like people are criticizing your son. That makes you a good mother. But we’re not attacking him. Really, we’re just wondering why he deliberately chose not to finish an opponent who was ready to go at any point from the third round on.

LOL, I know it sucks to be confronted with your own inadequacy, but the fact that it’s obvious to everybody other than you doesn’t mean the rest of us are wrong.

The only pointers that Miocic might possibly be able to take from you regard diction (and I say that having never heard your voice).

I have no idea why Miocic didn’t finish ngannou.

Do you know why I don’t know? Because I’m not a world class heavyweight, in there with another world class heavyweight, and so I’m ENTIRELY unqualified to act like I know what he should have done.

The thing is, I realize this.

Anybody with an ounce of perspective would.

I should probably caveat all the above.

If you, Soul Gravy, are either Stefan Stuve, or Junior Dos Santos, then I take back what I have said.

If that’s the case then you are, in fact, qualified to say what you’d have done better, and I apologize.

Slowshot - I should probably caveat all the above.

If you, Soul Gravy, are either Stefan Stuve, or Junior Dos Santos, then I take back what I have said.

If that’s the case then you are, in fact, qualified to say what you’d have done better, and I apologize.

If I were Stefan Struve, I would not be able to reach the keyboard with my T-Rex arms and thus could not be typing these replies. If were Junior Dos Santos, I would be very old and not understand how internet forums work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Slowshot - 
Soul Gravy - 
Slowshot - 
Soul Gravy - 
Steven McTowelie - 

LOL, I know it sucks to be confronted with your own inadequacy, but the fact that it’s obvious to everybody other than you doesn’t mean the rest of us are wrong.

The only pointers that Miocic might possibly be able to take from you regard diction (and I say that having never heard your voice).

I have no idea why Miocic didn’t finish ngannou.

Do you know why I don’t know? Because I’m not a world class heavyweight, in there with another world class heavyweight, and so I’m ENTIRELY unqualified to act like I know what he should have done.

The thing is, I realize this.

Anybody with an ounce of perspective would.

One does not have to be a world champion to realize that Ngannou was ready to go, and that Stipe has ample opportunity to finish him. Simply holding him in ride and throwing weak arm punches to Ngannou’s head (which he did, just not in the abundance necessary to make the ref notice) could have gotten a stoppage.

You know, as well as I, that refs will jump in and stop a fight when someone is getting tagged up from an inferior position and not defending, even if those punches aren’t hard and even if they aren’t landing flush. Certainly, it’s gaming the system, but it was an avenue available to Stipe that he did not advantage of.

How many times have you been hit by Francis Ngannou? How many times have you been riding Francis Ngannou, and felt how much he had left?

How many times have you had heavyweight proportions and balance and done the mental math to know about unbalancing yourself a little bit to throw harder shots?

How many times have you known whether Ngannou had hurt you earlier in the fight, and what the risk/reward equation was for going harder for an immediate finish vs doing what he did?

Again, I don’t know you, but my GUESS the answer to these are zero, which makes your idea if what you would have done DEFINITELY uninformed, and LIKELY ridiculous.

Slowshot - How many times have you been hit by Francis Ngannou? How many times have you been riding Francis Ngannou, and felt how much he had left?

How many times have you had heavyweight proportions and balance and done the mental math to know about unbalancing yourself a little bit to throw harder shots?

How many times have you known whether Ngannou had hurt you earlier in the fight, and what the risk/reward equation was for going harder for an immediate finish vs doing what he did?

Again, I don’t know you, but my GUESS the answer to these are zero, which makes your idea if what you would have done DEFINITELY uninformed, and LIKELY ridiculous.

1. He did not need to throw harder punches. Pitter patter would have been fine.

2. He was already throwing these punches with no responses from Ngannou. You could physically see Ngannou not responding. He simply didn’t throw more than one or two at a time.

3. He did not need to unbalance himself to throw punches. There was no reason to load up on them.

4. Again, you don’t have to be in the fight to be able to analytically discuss it.

Soul Gravy - 
Slowshot - How many times have you been hit by Francis Ngannou? How many times have you been riding Francis Ngannou, and felt how much he had left?

2. He was already throwing these punches with no responses from Ngannou. You could physically see Ngannou not responding. He simply didn’t throw more than one or two at a time.

3. He did not need to unbalance himself to throw punches. There was no reason to load up on them.

4. Again, you don’t have to be in the fight to be able to analytically discuss it.

• Analytically discuss is one thing. Saying “I’d have done better” is another.

• Because, no, no you would not have done better. You’d have been unconscious inside 8 seconds.

MAYBE if you were Stipe Miocic you’d have done better, but you’re not. You’re you.

Slowshot - 
    Soul Gravy - 

• Analytically discuss is one thing. Saying “I’d have done better” is another.

• Because, no, no you would not have done better. You’d have been unconscious inside 8 seconds.

MAYBE if you were Stipe Miocic you’d have done better, but you’re not. You’re you.

If you recall, I did not first put myself in Stipe’s position, nor did I speculate on what my performance might have been in his place. I was responding to another poster.

That said, yes, I believe in that ride position, I could have spammed enough arm punches–nothing really damaging–that the ref would have stopped it (unless I got the ref from Brock/Carwin). I believe most people could have at that point. That’s not to say, however, any of us could have gotten Ngannou into that position to begin with.

The fact remains, Stipe had numerous opportunities to finish the fight and did not. That is the true matter at hand. I don’t think our potential performance against Ngannou negates this observation.

I know what you said, and I’m saying that EVEN IF YOU FOUND YOURSELF MAGICALLY TRANSPORTED into a position wherein you were standing over a kneeling Francis Ngannou, you would not finish him.

The thing is Stipe Miocic throwing little arm punches is not Soul Gravy throwing little arm punches.

If the impact of the punches magically transformed from Stipe Miocic punches to Soul Gravy punches, Francis Ngannou would go “oh, a mouse in the house, this actually doesn’t bother me in the least”, stand up, pull you pants down, and violently rape you the way you like it.