Story on the UFC's banning of Affliction

"Last week Dana White offered his explanation of the ban. "I never had a problem with Affliction clothing until they took a picture of Couture and Fedor with no Affliction shirts on, but it looks like a fight poster," White told The Canadian Press."

Do my eyes deceive me, is my reading comprehension poor, or does that say, Affliction was banned because of a photo-shoot?

bodybag76 -
Hot Tomato - It's already common knowledge the Golden Boy walked away from Affliction.

I heard the same thing. I thought it would be a very weird combination to begin with

I hadn't heard that yet, but I know they still have a pretty good relationship so you never know what may fall out.

karo? heated? never.

erikcharles - Fighters/Sponsors get too caught up in what they wear in the ring. If that's the only way you can make your sponsorship work then you're screwed anyway.

You don't see Lebron James wearing Hubba Bubba or Cannondale on his shorts when he plays in a game. Sponsorship is more about what you do outside of the cage/ring than wearing a logo during a fight.

You don't see Lebron James wearing sponsors on his shorts because the NBA won't let him. You can only wear NBA logo gear (with the exception of shoes) during an NBA game. Check out the socks, arm bands, headbands, etc. etc. You'll NEVER see an adidas, Nike, Reebok, And 1 logo on any of it (outside of shoes). The NBA won't allow it. The NBA has a sponsorship deal with one company to do all of its clothing (jerseys, shorts, socks, warmups, tshirts, etc. etc) that the players wear during games.

This is the same for the MLB, NFL, NHL. NBA is the most strict in only allowing shoes to be different company. NFL I believe allows armbands and some equipment (neck rolls) to be different companies, but I'd bet they have to allow it first. Hell, the NFL wouldn't even allow Del Rio to wear a suit on the sideline unless it was a Reebok made suit!

What BMA fails to see which another poster already noted is that all those other sports provide a venue outside of the game for people to display their wares.

Fighters currently don't have that venue. The only time their seen or heard is when they are walking out or in the ring hence the need to wear apparel.

It is what it is. The minute Affliction decided to do their own promotion, they sunk their own boat.

The fighters are the one that have the pay the bill that Affliction wrote :*(

DarthMolen - What BMA fails to see which another poster already noted is that all those other sports provide a venue outside of the game for people to display their wares.

Fighters currently don't have that venue. The only time their seen or heard is when they are walking out or in the ring hence the need to wear apparel.

It is what it is. The minute Affliction decided to do their own promotion, they sunk their own boat.

The fighters are the one that have the pay the bill that Affliction wrote :*(

That makes no sense. GSP, Randy, Sherk and all these guys are still sponsored by Affliction. They still appear in Affliction commercials and promotional materials. They can go to Affliction events. They still have their "signature" line of clothing. They just can't wear the crap on UFC broadcasts or UFC events. They can do whatever they hell they want the other 360 days of the year. Just like guys in other sports.

The NBA doesn't provide Lebron with the Nike sponsorship. Nor did they provide Jordan with Gatorade or Hanes. They went out and got those themselves.

Just like Sherk and GSP are still sponsored by Affliction. They just can't wear it to the ring or at weigh-ins, etc. Just like Lebron can wear a Nike shirt any time he wants, he just can't wear the swoosh to the games (except on his shoes).

Exactly. Did Randy not realize he would create conflict with Zuffa by making false accusations publicly about Zuffa and then quit the organization so he could fight elsewhere???

And what in the history of Zuffa led Affliction to believe it would be OK to shop their fighters for a new promotion they were creating?

The commercial and photoshoot featuring Fedor and Randy mean-muggin' it in a shirtless face off stance, complete with dim lighting and sweat, was incredibly well done. I can't imagine why Zuffa took issue with it, though. Perhaps Affliction throwing their hat into the mix as a new competitor in the fight game might have had SOMETHING to do with it.

I suppose DW and the brothers could have taken the high road and continued to support Randy and Affliction in their new endeavors. The UFC is, after all, the biggest and most successful MMA promotion on the planet, hence the ability to provide the greatest exposure for the Couture and Affliction brands.

How dare The Baldfather and the brothers refuse to allow them to ride the coattails of Zuffa any longer. Any other competitor would have been flattered by the gesture;)

Cindy

good read

Well, at least Condom Depot is still safe.   As long as I can still see their logo smack dab in the center of my favorite fighter's ass, I'm happy!

^^^ LOL!

Cindy

CindyO,

Ask "DW" for me, would you, how much he'd charge Condom Depot to put a tattoo of their logo on his chrome dome for the UFC 84 broadcast.

donttazemebro - CindyO,

Ask "DW" for me, would you, how much he'd charge Condom Depot to put a tattoo of their logo on his chrome dome for the UFC 84 broadcast.

ha ha

Gossip. I love gossip.

The owner of Affliction is a total douche by the way...just gonna sit that one out there for the vultures :-x

I can kinda see the point about the NBA, NFL, and MLB not allowing anything on their fields but I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Those sports are high profile enough to support the off-field advertising and coverage and the budgets from a large spectrum of companies.

How many Affliction commercials have you seen on mainstream TV? Is Affliction in the common vernacular? Does the news talk about Randy Couture being sponsored by Affliction?

All these things are true for ppl like Tiger Woods and his Buick sponsorship, Michael Jordan and his Nike sponsoship, etc. which are known even outside sporting circles.

The reason fight clothing companies put so much emphasis on the walk-out and what they wear in the ring is that is the only truly national coverage that they will probably get for that fighter.

Affliction is a little bit different in that they carry their big boys with localized adverts, magazine adverts, and some national advertising.

But what about the low to mid fighters that could have been sponsored in their fights by wearing Affliction gear yet aren't big enough to fit into Affliction's National Advertising campaign?

It's those ppl that bear the brunt of Affliction's decision to turn into a promotion company and UFC's decision to eliminate any Affliction sponsorships in the big dance.

I remember when the Barncat was pissed he had to wear his Blue shorts against Spratt.

Affliction is played out and passe.

If Zuffa paid their fighters WELL instead of forcing them to RELY on sponsorships then this wouldn't even be an issue.................

[quote]Haulport -

If Zuffa paid their fighters WELL instead of forcing them to RELY on sponsorships then this wouldn't even be an issue.................

[/quote]

what he said...

Haole - 
Haulport - 

Zuffa pays their fighters exactly what they agree to.

By signing a contract a contracted employee places a value on their services by accepting X compensation for X service.

/community college

Word, I don't understand why people don't grasp this point. The fighters don't HAVE to fight for that much, they agree to it. If they aren't happy with the dollar figure, don't sign the contract, plain and simple.