Strange thing i noticed re: UFC dvd release

so i was watching my ufc 83 dvd (gsp vs serra II in montreal), and i noticed that for some inexplicable reason, they changed the entrance music on the dvd release.

instead of putting the dvd together using the actual audio, they used some sh*tty generic heavy-metal guitar riff for both fighters.

i was at that card and one of the most amazing things about that night was the level of noise when each fighter was walking to the octagon.

i am assuming they did this for licensing/royalty purposes, but it completely fucks up the dvd, in my opinion.

Baldfather strikes again.

If you think thats bad wait until you purchase UFC 95/96 double pack. You'll be in for a treat once you see what they did there.

ManhoefKOAnderson - Baldfather strikes again.

If you think thats bad wait until you purchase UFC 95/96 double pack. You'll be in for a treat once you see what they did there.

so what did they do?

It has to do with licensing, all combat sporting events have this problem.

i figured as much...

it just blows. luckily i downloaded it so i have both versions.

too bad someone couldn't rip the gsp/serra fight using the original audio with the dvd quality video.

The entrance music can only be played live or when it is first played in that country like HDNet sometimes does.

After that they would be required to pay another music royatly to play the entrance music on a subsequent show or on the DVD.

Ya I bought UFC 93 after attending, was waiting for some AC/DC for Rich's entrance and then there is just this horrible generic rock being played...I wonder does it cost a huge amount extra to have them on the DVDs?

So if I buy UFC 100 dvd, I wont see Tom Lawlor's and Sexyama's entrance with the real music?

Damn that sucks. Outside of the Hendo KO of Bisping, I was looking forward to those 2 entrances!

It's not the UFC's fault that copyright law is a complete mess. Video synchronization rights for music can cost tens of thousands of dollars or more, depending on the song. Each sync right has to be individually negotiated, the idea being that Steven Spielberg using the emotional hook of some Motown classic to get to you to buy a ticket to his blockbuster movie should be worth something to the composer, artist & label. It's a HUGE pain in the ass for sporting events & little productions that aren't dependent on the music for any sort of primary purpose, so they lose it.

As a video producer, your options are:

A. Pay out the ass for something unnecessary to your content. UFC doing this for 12 pop songs means the cost of the DVD balloons beyond the price point of the market.

B. Hire someone to knock off some original music in house; they're doing this & you're bitching.

C. Risk having your product stuck in litigation in perpetuity; there's a somewhat famous case of that happening with Better Off Dead - because the producers failed to license everything properly, they had to delay the video release about a decade until Van Halen got broke enough to renegotiate.

Lesser of three evils, & personally I think they picked the right one. If the lack of spectacle in the sport is a dealbreaker for you, maybe consider pro wrestling or tractor pulls.

They should buy the rights to keep the DVD in tact and then release the walk out music on itunes. You can download the songs of each walk out. Instead of the Now 21 music it will be UFC 101 etc.

The Rat - Forget about buying the DVDs. Just download that shit until the UFC figures out that people dont like to pay for substandard product when they can get a better version for free.

Ah, the theft solution.

" They should buy the rights to keep the DVD in tact and then release the walk out music on itunes. You can download the songs of each walk out. Instead of the Now 21 music it will be UFC 101 etc."

Synchronization rights (for marrying audio to video) & mechanical rights (for distributing individual works on fixed mediums like CD, LP, MP3, etc.) are entirely unrelated; buying one doesn't entitle you to the other. So that doesn't solve anything.

This is nothing new with DVD releases of anything - especially TV shows. Sometimes the music is changed on certain episodes and some shows like The Wonder Years don't get released at all because so many songs were used to relate to scenes that it would cost a fortune to compensate everyone.

The would have to give every musician/band a substanial cut of the profits if they included their music in a DVD or even rebroadcasts (since the network makes a lot of loot off of advertisements).

nate787 - Sometimes the music is changed on certain episodes and some shows like The Wonder Years don't get released at all because so many songs were used to relate to scenes that it would cost a fortune to compensate everyone.
Is that really why it was never released?

UFC 95/96 is mislabeled.  The 96 disc has 95 and vice versa. 

PJ Benn Fan - 
nate787 - Sometimes the music is changed on certain episodes and some shows like The Wonder Years don't get released at all because so many songs were used to relate to scenes that it would cost a fortune to compensate everyone.
Is that really why it was never released?

Yes, and it probably never will. Think about how many classic rock songs were used on that show, every episode through 6 seasons. There's no way they could pay for the rights to use all that and no one would buy them if they didn't because they were such a crucial part of the show and theme.

i believe this is the same reason that third watch has taken so long to come out on dvd.

they were regularly using green day and u2 and other huge names on the tv show... i heard the network decided that the royalties they'd have to pay for the music weren't worth the potential revenue from the dvd sales.

Eh_J - i believe this is the same reason that third watch has taken so long to come out on dvd.

they were regularly using green day and u2 and other huge names on the tv show... i heard the network decided that the royalties they'd have to pay for the music weren't worth the potential revenue from the dvd sales.

Theres a couple of seasons of third watch on DVD.

nate787 - This is nothing new with DVD releases of anything - especially TV shows. Sometimes the music is changed on certain episodes and some shows like The Wonder Years don't get released at all because so many songs were used to relate to scenes that it would cost a fortune to compensate everyone.

Ya The Wonder Years thing pisses me off