Street Fighter 2 Guile

I know this game doesn't interest many of you, but it's something that kept me off drugs and out of gangs during my High School years and I spent endless hours playing it in arcades and got the opportunity to meet a lot of very interesting, wonderful people doing it. So if you have no interest, please move along.

Anyway, I was just thinking about the Character of Guile. Some of you may have seen the 8 inch figures that were made by the now out of business toy company, Resaurus. They made 2 series' of these, and were planning a 3rd and 4th when they went under. I recently spoke to a collector who claims to have the series 3 prototypes, and one showed me a picture of the Guile figure.

So what I noticed is that he has an American flag tattooed on his upper arm. As you probably realize, when Capcom used 2D graphics they had to use a mirror image when the character was facing the opposite side. This would reverse any detail, which usually didn't make any difference (when the Character of DeeJey was in production his pants said "MAGNUS" and later had to be changed to say "MAXIMUM" so the letters would look right). However, with Guile it made a difference because he had a tattoo on one arm.

So, firstly, no real person has an american flag tattooed on both arms. I am willing to bet on this. Secondly, to stay true to the game, Resaurus had to reverse one of the flags! So now the one on the right arm is backward.

These toys never saw the light of day, but I think it's humorous that they went to such an effort to include a detail that was more or less just a graphical error.

I have to post on this again now, so the thread will die with 2 posts instead of one.

Also, I have heard from an old gun dealer that I knew who was really Gung Ho that when in war, any American flag you wear should have the stars facing toward the battle. That's a good possibility as to why the flags are that way.

I thought DeeJay's pants originally said "Mantis" (???)

Yeah, the flag thing is funny but what is even funnier is Sagat with patches over both eyes

"Also, I have heard from an old gun dealer that I knew who was really Gung Ho that when in war, any American flag you wear should have the stars facing toward the battle. That's a good possibility as to why the flags are that way."

He wasn't trying to sell you something with a backwards flag on it was he? LOL

yeah maybe MANTIS is right. I'm very impressed that another OGer knew that!

I'm thinking now that the guy who sent me that pic is trying to pull some kind of scam and will eventually offer to sell them to me for some outlandish price. I very much doubt that the picture he showed me was taken by him. It just has his name stamped all over it, with a shitty program like paintbrush too. He did know a lot about them, but so do a lot of people. He claims now to have almost all of the resaurus prototypes and that he bought them from someone.

Oh well, you can't be scammed if you're broke!