Street Sweep

Scenario:

You are tackled in the street, your attacker ends up in your guard. There is a possibility of others jumping in. What sweep would you first prefer to use? Now remember, we are not being flashy here. We just need to get out from under him and fast.

I have gone with just the basic Elevator. This will not always work against a good wrestler though. In that case I have gone for a sub or an escape to back/standing.

What do you guys think?

Scenario:

You are tackled in the street, your attacker ends up in your guard. There is a possibility of others jumping in. What sweep would you first prefer to use? Now remember, we are not being flashy here. We just need to get out from under him and fast.

I have gone with just the basic Elevator. This will not always work against a good wrestler though. In that case I have gone for a sub or an escape to back/standing.

What do you guys think?

Sorry For the double Post

Buck sweep

If he has good forward momentum, I would try the scissor sweep.

dawgswrestler

"i dont know about you, but the last place i wanna be in the street is on the ground.... "

I agree

BigEyedFish...

Buck Sweep, Vas is dis

Buck sweep:

-You should begin this by using your left hand to pin down/secure his right wrist (if his hand is planted on the mat).

-Scoot your butt back so that you have roome to sit up.

-Sit up and reach around the front of his face, and down his arm grabbing his right wrist with your right hand. Make sure you use your entire right arm to trap his arm tightly to your chest.

- Place your left hand closely behind your butt, place the soles of your feet flat on the mat.

- Straighten your left arm and use this momentum to launch your hips off the mat into opponents chest.

-As you do this, step over opponent with your right leg to finish in mount.

Basic but solid sweep if you do it right.

Good question. I have thought about this also and trained the situation a lot in case I am knocked on my ass. My first reaction is to get some control, then try to either mount or stand up asap. If I can sweep AS I am going down with one or two hooks/elevators/scissor and use the momentum to launch them and stand up..then great.
But if I am down already on my back and they are on top of me (in guard because that is my BEST option given my choices of being on bottom). Then I would do following:

1. Tight closed guard with arm wrap and head control (to prevent strikes and headbutts). Smothering

2. I ASSUME they will invariably try to pull away to get some space to strike etc. As soon as I get some inches I slip the knee in and scissor sweep which for me is the most explosive, high percentage and since I have been doing it so long, instinctive move. I also ASSUME they dont know heel hooks (haha).

3. If they explode upward and for whatever reason I miss my scissor "window of opportunity". I will grab ankles and do the basic pull and bump sweep and follow that momentum.

4. If they explode upward and body contact is lost, I am kicking like a mule (ala renzo/taktarov) and trying to stand up in base ASAP.

5. Or..all this fails and I get booted like I am a world cup soccer ball.

I def recomend drilling this with a partner and try to get some real reactions from him. Explosive, wild etc. I also keep it real simple because of stress and adrenaline etc.

Just my .02

If anyone disagrees I would love to hear it as it may help me uncover something.

Tony

scissors is simple to use and works well against people who dont know how to grapple.

i use the scissor sweep well in class. But the buck is a good choice also.

either a de al riva, or butterfly gaurd sweep, even going back to neutral is an option.