Street takedowns

Do you have any advise or tapes that address taking someone down without busting my kneecap and elbows on pavement? When you guys do your drills in the armor that I see on the site, how do you know if you would have bumped your head, elbow, or knees in a way that would put you at risk for injury?

Thanks

I'm not a student of Tony's (although I'd like to be)but I can share my street grappling experience with you.

I've taken people down while fighting in parking lots and always came through it without serious injury. My knees and/or elbows got a little grazed, but I didn't even realise it until a while later, when the adreneline subsided.

I know there are a lot of people who claim that ground fighting in a street fight is unpractical because of the rough surface, but its never bothered me, even when I had to fully commit to a take down to prevent being brained by a steel bar.

I'd like to pretend that it was good technique that saved my knees, but my takedowns are pretty ugly, so technique doesn't seem to matter.

Ultimately the hardness or texture of the surface doesn't seem to be an issue. If you have to do a take down, just do commit to it. In my experience, even if you injure yourself, you'll never even feel it until a couple of hours later. (By which time you should be relaxing at home, boring your freinds and family with multiple re-tellings of your street fighting adventure).

Of course there are other disadvantages to ground fighting (multiple oponents etc) but that's another story.

Does Tony or anyone else have views on this matter?

I'll have to keep to myself on this one! I fear for the Babies!

Check out Coach Blauer's tape "Inside the Groundfight; Cement Friendly Fundamentals" - That's what the entire tape is pretty much about. A lot of great eye-openers, tactics, & training methods.

You might also hop over to the "Training Enhancement Q&A" or check out the R.O.S.S. system's Grappler's Toolbox (Ground Engagement & Dis-engagement).

Hope this helps.

Happy Training,

David Lepp

Good questions and as David points out the INSIDE THE GROUNDFIGHT: Cement Friendly Fundamentals, was designed around that very premise: concrete is hard!

As for the gear,the gear is ideally suited to explore your tactical choices under stress. If you worked your fundamentals intelligently, then your tactics during a simulation should reflect your training.

Remember the fist several UFC's? DId the fights resemble the fighter's styles shown in clips? Not even close, right.

Well, that means that how they trained had little relationship to how they fought, only they found out moments too late.

"Experience is something you get shortly after you need it!" - TCMS Maxim

If you look at our Panic Attack archive type [FORGING A FIGHTING SYSTEM] that shows us doing mixed martial art fighting as far back as 1980, you realize that how we trained is how we fought and how we fought determed the drills we trained.

SO aside from all this philosophy, the HIGH GEAR suits are tools that allow us to turn it up an notch and add another layer of safety, but the gear does not save us from lousy tactics :-)

Tony

ttt