Strength training for young teenagers?

I got my GF's son into BJJ when he was 7. He is now in his 6th year and he is pretty good. He took a good portion of the summer off due to vacations etc. and the last time he was in a tournament he went against a kid that he typically either beats or the matches are real competetive. Well the kid caught him in a flying armbar and he was pretty embarassed. The other kid has obviously put on some muscle and My GF's son now wants to do some training to get stronger, build muscle etc.

I don't know anything about working with kids his age and was just wondering if anyone has recommendations as to what type of exercises he should do and what he should avoid. I have always heard about lifting weights at an early age stunting growth, but I don't know if that is a wives tale or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

yeah, body weight exercises are enough.

if hes 13 id say he can start gettin into some weights, instead of bench use dumbell press, instead of barbell squat use dumbell squat etc...the key is to use weight thats only slightly challenging and not hard as fuck like an adult would wanna do

also if ya have him do somethin like the team quest grappling circuit that would prolly be good...i know when i do it its never the weight thats a problem its more the muscle fatigue, which is what you should be aiming to work imo

From the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"Don't start before kids are 7-8 years old. Kids' balance and posture don't mature until then.

Before starting strength training, kids and teens should get a medical checkup.

Follow proper techniques, with strict supervision by a qualified instructor.

Warm up for 10-15 minutes.

Strength-train for at least 20-30 minutes, then cool down for 10-15 minutes.

Address all major muscle groups, including the core muscles

Start with light weights and focus on technique.

Use control; don't slam the weights up and down.

Many strength-training machines are designed for adults; free weights may be a better option for kids.

Don't strength-train the same muscles every day. Two to three times per week is enough; more sessions may lead to injury.

When the child or teen can do 8-15 repetitions easily, add weight in 10% increments"

It's really easy for kids to overtrain. Make sure he is supervised at all times. -ken

Rosstraining.com

I have come to believe that Ross' methods are the most effective training methods for combat athletes, and his routines are more than varied enough to be used by anyone.

His books "Infinite Intensity" and "Never Gymless" contain loads of awesome bodyweight exercises as well as stuff that uses equipment.

I train an compete regularly and his stuff has made me better than I ever was before.  Unfortunately for your GF's son, he learned a simple reality about the evolution of sport BJJ.....even though technique is still, and always will be, 90% of the game, size, strength, and athleticism MATTER

Like I said, there's going to be people who will disagree with me, and that's fine- they're not wrong at all for doing so, but for me personally, Ross' Infinite Intensity program has revolutionized my training, and I see tangible, real results when I'm on the mat.  And unfortunately for my opponents, they FEEL those results.

Great info. Thanks to everyone for this.

He is an orange belt and is very athletic and very talented. He is moving into the adult beginners class because the kids in his class don't challenge him anymore. We are going to start going to some other gyms just so he can get some practice in with kids his skill level and size and he is going to start Muay Thai again. I have him doing situpos and pushups right now. I am going to get a chin up bar and a heavy bag as well.

This is a youtube clip of him a few years ago just goofing off. I really hope he keeps up with the fighting. He has good genetics. His dad is 6'3" 230 and his mom is 5'10".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkVRfaiLz_8

All of the flips and stuff he does now are way cleaner and he lands them perfectly. He does alot of other gymnastic stuff too. Sorry if it seems like I am showing him off. Just proud.

push ups, sit ups, dips, pullups, handstand pushups

Cool stuff.

WaltJ - Rosstraining.com

I have come to believe that Ross' methods are the most effective training methods for combat athletes, and his routines are more than varied enough to be used by anyone.

His books "Infinite Intensity" and "Never Gymless" contain loads of awesome bodyweight exercises as well as stuff that uses equipment.

I train an compete regularly and his stuff has made me better than I ever was before.  Unfortunately for your GF's son, he learned a simple reality about the evolution of sport BJJ.....even though technique is still, and always will be, 90% of the game, size, strength, and athleticism MATTER. 
Like I said, there's going to be people who will disagree with me, and that's fine- they're not wrong at all for doing so, but for me personally, Ross' Infinite Intensity program has revolutionized my training, and I see tangible, real results when I'm on the mat.  And unfortunately for my opponents, they FEEL those results.

THanks for that. I will check it out....

KenTheWalrus - From the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"Don't start before kids are 7-8 years old. Kids' balance and posture don't mature until then.

Before starting strength training, kids and teens should get a medical checkup.

Follow proper techniques, with strict supervision by a qualified instructor.

Warm up for 10-15 minutes.

Strength-train for at least 20-30 minutes, then cool down for 10-15 minutes.

Address all major muscle groups, including the core muscles

Start with light weights and focus on technique.

Use control; don't slam the weights up and down.

Many strength-training machines are designed for adults; free weights may be a better option for kids.

Don't strength-train the same muscles every day. Two to three times per week is enough; more sessions may lead to injury.

When the child or teen can do 8-15 repetitions easily, add weight in 10% increments"

It's really easy for kids to overtrain. Make sure he is supervised at all times. -ken

Great info. I will keep all of this in mind.

Keep in mind that if he hasn't started puberty he won't add muscle, he'll just get stronger. Kids tend to get discouraged by this. Make him keep a journal that records his advancements, each added new weight or that extra set he might do, so he can refer back to it and see progress.

Also, let him know that weight training is a privelege right now, so if he starts to do things like training alone, overtraining, or continuing while injured, you have the power to take it from him. Make sure he knows that if it hurts or feels like something is messed up to stop immediately and tell someone. Then it's your job to take him to the doctor. -ken

He has started puberty and he listens pretty well for a kid his age.

I am going to try some of the recommended stuff here. I appreciate all of the input.

IrishFighter110 - Stay away from weights as kids that age are still growing.

Stick to push ups and sits up.