Strikeforce draws more than 500,000 views

Mad Xyientist -  600K is still pretty damn respectable.

story97 - It's damn tough to compare when Spike has 80% more available viewes simply because they're free, and Showtime is a premiim pay network (that frankly has the shitties movies of all the bigs)

wow your math sucks

palerider101 - 
PatrickFreitas - apples to organges comparing Spike to Showtime. anyone who knows a little about the TV world understands this. the important number is the viewership divided by available viewers.

Strikeforce drew 3% of its available viewers.
UFC drew 2% of its availabe viewers.

BOTH did well.

This. Good math...

Actually I don't think the most important comparison is percentages of available viewers. The most important comparison is live vs rerun.

Also, I don't think that the UFC rerun really stole any viewers from SF. I would think that almost 100% of the people that watched SF had already seen UFC 100. Those people were probably going to watch SF regardless of what UFC did on Spike unless it was a live event.

keghead - 
palerider101 - 
PatrickFreitas - apples to organges comparing Spike to Showtime. anyone who knows a little about the TV world understands this. the important number is the viewership divided by available viewers.

Strikeforce drew 3% of its available viewers.
UFC drew 2% of its availabe viewers.

BOTH did well.

This. Good math...

Actually I don't think the most important comparison is percentages of available viewers. The most important comparison is live vs rerun.

i know what you're trying to say, but UFC100 on SpikeTV was technically NOT a rerun.

bottom line is Carano is a HUGE draw. What did Gina get paid?

P Ness - Damn, UFC OWNED SF

Hah, I'm guessing this was the type of response MMAJunkie was aiming for when they decided to put these two divergent news items together. The story here obviously isn't total viewership, and I'm sure MMAJunkie is smart enough to realize this. By ignoring/avoiding ratings points and instead comparing overall viewers between two completely different platforms in Showtime and Strikeforce, they've really filtered the information through the fanboy prism. I guess that is what makes for the most page views.

UFC 100 did a good rating for top-tier MMA programming on Spike. It holds up well against most of their live telecasts on the channel.

Strikeforce didn't just do "decent" or "respectable" ratings, they had by far the most successful show in the history of Showtime MMA. For Carano and Cyborg to out-draw a very marketable male fight like Kimbo vs. Tank really says something about how well Showtime and Strikeforce built this as a marquee matchup. This is validation for all the effort they put into Women's MMA. On top of that, Gegard Mousasi, Gilbert Melendez and Fabricio Werdum all put on star-making performances in front of a big audience.

UFC 100 doing well is business as usual. Breaking the Showtime record with Carano and Cyborg is the real story here, and it is a great sign for the future of Strikeforce on the platform.

The reason why they can't show on CBS is that they already have shows in the 10pm slot that can do 6-8 million. They need a very intriguing fight to do 7+ on Strikeforce, although the MMA demo is more appealing to advertisers so it could make up for the lower numbers. Ubisoft would probably spam Assassin's Creed 2 commercials

The Showtime ratings were fine.

The question is, will they be able to sell PPVs?

smoogy - By ignoring/avoiding ratings points and instead comparing overall viewers between two completely different platforms in Showtime and Strikeforce, they've really filtered the information through the fanboy prism.

But seriously folks, those are great numbers for both the UFC and Strikeforce.  Both Spike & Showtime should be very happy.

story97 - It's damn tough to compare when Spike has 80% more available viewes simply because they're free, and Showtime is a premiim pay network (that frankly has the shitties movies of all the bigs)

you compare with percentages...what percentage of viewers watched spike's show, what percentage watched showtime

Archangel - www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/18/993662/strikeforce-draws-average-of-576k  

MMAJunkie has the scoop on the Showtime ratings for the Strikeforce: Gina vs Cyborg event in San Jose.
"Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" drew an average audience of 576,000 viewers. The UFC replay drew nearly four times that with two million total viewers, Spike TV officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Strikeforce's Aug. 15 event was one of the biggest shows in the promotion's history and featured the long-awaited Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Gina Carano title fight. As with other competitors, the UFC and Spike TV ultimately decided to counter-program the broadcast.

Strikeforce's event averaged 576,000 viewers (and peaked with 856,000 for the night's main event at midnight). UFC 100 averaged two million viewers, and it's 1.8 rating (513,000 viewers) was the highest-rated program in the male-18-34 demographic during its timeslot.
Anything over 400K-500K would be considered a success for showtime, and it certainly did not dissapoint.  It would be the ideal situation for both Strikeforce and Showtime to build Gina back up and schedule a re-match on CBS. Showtime, CBS, and Strikeforce will be discussing their CBS appearance within the next few weeks, and the odds of a CBS show just got a lot better based on the success of this event.  More after the jump... For comparisons, here are the top rated MMA shows on Showtime before Saturday's big event:
1) Kimbo Slice vs. Tank Abbott: 511,000 viewers2) Frank Shamrock vs. Phil Baroni: 365,000 viewers3) Shamrock vs Diaz: 364,000 viewers4) EliteXC Return of the King: 350,000 viewers5) Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le: less than 300,000.

856,000 for the night's main event ! Very nice

Funny thing about all of this, is I think Shamrock vs Le was by far the best main event out of the Strikeforce events listed.