Strikeforce/EliteXC show = FAILURE

"Well I may have been wrong once so far in my entire life, but I dont remember you making me look stupid."

I'll admit that you deserve most of the credit, and hardly needed my help.

"IrishLew, surely even you aren't so dense as to mistake this thinly veiled attack on a Zuffa rival as a genuine attempt to create discussion?"

i just think it's funny when people watch a C level card at best and praise it for the sole purpose of flaming the UFC.

lets get the facts straight...

1) i watch every MMA ppv available (gotta love FTA satellite)

2) not one top 10 or top 20 fighter on that card. ( i still enjoyed it)

3) i agree with some of the stuff that people with no agenda say about the UFC (poor matchmaking)

4) people are still so butt hurt that Zuffa bought Pride that they will bash everything the UFC does.

5) the same people telling others to stop nuthugging an organization and be a fan of MMA, are the same people who bash everything that is UFC.

6) Grow the Fuck up

7) No UFC=NO MMA.

"No UFC=NO MMA"

KOTC, baby!

Randy Lahey is a big fan of KOTC.

Otherwise, excellent post.

I may get shit for this because he honors us with his presence on this board, but what did Paul Buentello did to receive that kind of pay check?

Paul B deserves every penny, 1 loss in 4 years (Arlovski), 3-1 in the UFC, one of the most exciting HW in the World.

They lost huge money. PPV requires advertising and production costs
which can easily go to $250,000 or more. PPV is fool's gold.

"I hope this show makes money and has more shows in the future. I hate to see any MMA organization fail."

What if there were several major organizations, and they divided up the best fighters between them, so that the top guys never fought each other?

it won't happen, the UFC has the American market on lock.

I liked the Meltzer/MMANews.com/Subfighter.com numbers better. But these aren't bad either.

If things keep going down the same path, Elite XC should overtake UFC by late 2008.

IrishLew, I agree. My point, to White347LX, is that there are some scenarios under which it would be rational for fight fans to root for an MMA organization to fail.

I posted this on another thread, but it's relevant here:

The problem for EliteXC is that the UFC has so many shows now that there's no pent-up demand for MMA.
The UFC's strategy is to expand quickly to create demand, not to build slowly in response to already-existing demand.

The result is that there's no leftover market for EliteXC, even though MMA as a sport is still growing.

The more I think about the economics of the situation, the more it seems to me that other orgs are bound to fail*. Not because they're bad, but because the Dana is using a smart business strategy to keep them down.

[* Edit: "fail" might be too strong of a word. But if they survive, they're still going to be second-tier.]

EvilMaster i like your work, but you may be off your meds...name 1 fighter who could headline an Elite XC and have people actually care besides the hardcore fans?

I like Paul B., but it's clear that the smaller MMA organizations have to overpay fighters* in order to lure them away from the UFC.

[Edit: * I'm speaking about fighters generally, not necessarily Paul.]

"I like Paul B., but it's clear that the smaller MMA organizations have to overpay fighters in order to lure them away from the UFC."

True, and that causes them to lose even more money.

ThonolansGhost send me an mma.tv email i need to talk to you.

"The more I think about the economics of the situation, the more it
seems to me that other orgs are bound to fail*. Not because they're
bad, but because the Dana is using a smart business strategy to keep
them down."

Somebody needs to come on the scene with a big network TV deal to
start with. That is the only way to compete with the UFC. I don't know
the possibility of that happening, but if some network executive
decides he wants to get in on the MMA boom, he might opt to go the
non-UFC route. Look at how the XFL did it. They failed because the
product sucked, but they made a huge initial splash.

I still think K1 might have a chance. They need to get their bearings in
the American market. They made some mistakes the first time but
they have tons of money behind them and some good ideas.

But you can't just put a few names on a card that hardcore fans know
and expect the casual fan to care. Casual fans care about what the
media tells them to care about. If Pride only got 50,000 PPV buys with
all that talent, then what can anyone else expect?

All is not lost yet.

LOL

"EvilMaster i like your work, but you may be off your meds...name 1 fighter who could headline an Elite XC and have people actually care besides the hardcore fans?"

Smarten up man, they've had two friggin shows, heck they are just getting started. They are hiring talent as we speak. Wait until you see the shit they have planned. Very impressive stuff is coming.

Showtime Networks/Gary Shaw Prod/FEG/Rumble World/Bodog/Stikeforce etc...This will be the dominant force in MMA within a year or two. Zuffa by comparison is already small potatoes when it comes to bank role.

Once Elite XC ramps up to speed, and gets the bugs worked out. They will take things over rapidly.

I know Zuffa has launched a smear campaign on ALL the forums, it's funny to watch. Cause one day Dana might be begging for a job there.

Oh yes...It's true.

yeah..thanks for answering my question, that's what i thought.