Strikeforce GP Format: Only Finals is Five Rounds

Scott Coker said on the call today that the quarterfinals and semifinals will be three rounds and the finals will be five rounds.  Overeem's title will NOT be on the line in the tournament.

Source: Scott Coker on Tournament Format

It's because he couldn't get all the commissions to sign off on it in time. Bummer

That's a real shame. Werdum's chance of catching Overeem in a sub just got a lot slimmer.

The commissions are ridiculous.

If some small time promotion had Warpath fighting Tank Abbott for their HW title, then it would be a 5 round fight, but they can't let Fedor vs Bigfoot be a 5 rounder?  Totally ridiculous.

Also they should have just stripped Overeem and ahve the final for the title.

TheGARV -  It's because he couldn't get all the commissions to sign off on it in time. Bummer

To sign off on what - ALL fights being 5 rds? That wasn't important.

The brackets made sense if the belt was on the line - now, not so much.

Thanks UG News.....er.....Garv.com

To me, the sooner Overeem and Fedor fight the better.  Don't want to take any chances.

TheGARV -  To me, the sooner Overeem and Fedor fight the better.  Don't want to take any chances.

Of course, but the possibility of them fighting 5 rds for the belt was even better.

TheGARV -  To me, the sooner Overeem and Fedor fight the better.  Don't want to take any chances.

forrestfan - The brackets made sense if the belt was on the line - now, not so much.
exactly

so now if Fedor and Overeem make it to the Semis we are only seeing a 3 round fight, that sucks

they should switch the brackets up now while they still can

do Overeem/Barnett on the right side and Werdum/Rogers on the left

at least this way Fedor/Reem will be 5 rounds if they meet in the final

I am picking Arvloski and Overeem in the finals.

That's how I think it'll go down. Something tells me arvloski is ready to make a comeback.

Who cares?? When was the last 5 rd heavyweight title fight? Every fight is going to end by rd 2 anyways

EckY -  Also they should have just stripped Overeem and ahve the final for the title.

THIS!

Jessethebandit - I am picking Arvloski and Overeem in the finals.

That's how I think it'll go down. Something tells me arvloski is ready to make a comeback.

Hi Freddie!

EckY -  The commissions are ridiculous.

If some small time promotion had Warpath fighting Tank Abbott for their HW title, then it would be a 5 round fight, but they can't let Fedor vs Bigfoot be a 5 rounder?  Totally ridiculous.

This is Cokers doing...
From Josh Gross...

Josh Gross
JoshGrossESPN Josh Gross
California, N.J., Missouri, Tennessee told me 5R fights were fine by them. All said they had not been approached by Strikeforce re: it.
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Josh Gross
JoshGrossESPN Josh Gross
Coker's position that SF couldn't make 5R fights for the tournament because it was too difficult with different regulators is ridiculous.
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply