Strikers being KOed by grapplers?

I apologize if this has already been discussed. Recently dominant strikers in the UFC: Sylvia, CroCop, GSP have been beaten at their own game by opponents who are predominately grapplers. Kos defeats Diego with boxing while Diego is the better striker on paper. Rashad an excellent wrestler wins with a CroCop like head kick. Did the losing fighters focusing too much on grappling based attacks leaving themselves vulnerable to strikes? Is it due to strong grapplers developing their striking skills to a level close to that of their striking counterparts?

^^^ good point

I forgot about Soko vs lil Nog and Arona. Good examples of the reverse situation.

I agree with the unexpected part, but would add that "strikers" are sometimes defending the take-down first, and strikes second.

Yeah, like Lutter over Eastman.

threat of a takedown makes a grappler a better striker and a striker less of a striker.

2 of jeremy Willimas former WBC heavy weight boxing champs MMA wins have been from subs.

I think what happens is a - these guys get well rounded.

b-their opponents start thinking one thing and are un prepared for the other.

Mostly because People are adjusting their Games to MMA or making their Training resemble MMA instead of the bogus 30 Minutes of BJJ, 30 Minutes of Kickboxing, and 30 Minutes of Wrestling=MMA.

It's dangerous to be a counter puncher in mma because of the chance of being taken down. Both GSP and Cro Cop let there opponents dictate the pace and that was there mistake. Cro Cop never should have let Gonzaga circle away from his power like that and GSP should have kept Serra on the outside with his reach.

"2 of jeremy Willimas former WBC heavy weight boxing champs MMA wins have been from subs."

Williams was never the WBC heavyweight champ, but I get your point. Butterbean also has a bunch of subs on his record, lol.

Even Crocop reversed Randleman's KO and subbed him in the rematch. Vitor Belfort, a BJJ black belt got subbed by Overeem, primarily a striker. It works both ways.

haha.. butterbean subbing zulu was really fun :D

Jeremy Williams became the WBC Continental Americas Champion by beating Garing Lane, defended it once then lost it before regaining it.

Overeem is not primarily a striker. He started training grappling and thaiboxing around the same time. He is pretty decent on the ground. He tapped everyone in his weightclass in ADCC Europe

I think a big part of it is how much more difficult it is to get a submission; you have to know exactly what you're doing, and it is very hard to pull off a submission against a superior ground fighter who knows what you're trying to do. However, anyone can land a "lucky punch"(or kick), and it only takes a moment of inattention or a split second bad decision (as Mirko has done twice, dropping his hands when he shouldn't) to knock out even the best fighters (except maybe Hunt; I'm not sure his brain is subject to concussion)

"WBC Continental Americas Champion"

that is very different than saying he was the "WBC heavyweight champion".

Partly, it may be that strikers preparing to fight grapplers neglect thier striking a bit and don't go into the fight as sharp as they could be.

"Mostly because People are adjusting their Games to MMA or making their Training resemble MMA instead of the bogus 30 Minutes of BJJ, 30 Minutes of Kickboxing, and 30 Minutes of Wrestling=MMA."

I thought many of the top guys still trained in a similar manner to the BJJ then wrestling then... etc. etc... manner. I guess I have the wrong idea.

I think the punchers chance happens much more frequently then a striker landing a sub on a BJJ guy.

When strong guys are throwing with those little gloves, knees and shins, anything can happen.

Subbing a sub grappler is a snow balls chance in hell. If he's rocked, you can sub him, other then that, it's probably never happening.

"that is very different than saying he was the "WBC heavyweight champion". "

I was hoping that Subtlety would have been pointed out with my Post.

A punch is a punch. It may not be as pretty, but if it lands w/ power....Goodnight.