Striking is the new bjj in mma

We've been through different eras in mma where certain styles seemed to dominate. First we saw bjj change the game, then the wrestlers and their gnp dominated the game for a bit.

I feel now that everyone knows enough wrestling and enough bjj to essentially stay out of trouble the striking is what makes the difference. The strikers that truly have an understanding of distance, timing, accuracy and footwork ala Connor, Wonderboy or Joanna - and can also hold themselves in a scramble - good lord these folks will be trouble for a lot of guys.

Ellenberger is a perfect example. Awesome wrestler, explosive and strong but his striking is very limited and today we saw what happens when you run into a good striker.

But then Pettis gets outwrestled by RDA. And dangerous striker Machida gets finished brutally twice in a row, setup by grappling. And wrestler Cain gets finished by a basic arm in guillotine off a takedown.

I don't think there's a new era of anything much, its just a matter of individual match-ups.

Kinda agree with both posts-- Good discussion! Phone Post 3.0

Dynamic striking era.

Next is the complete grappler. Immediate submission after takedown: kind of like Weidman. Phone Post 3.0

insomnia - But then Pettis gets outwrestled by RDA. And dangerous striker Machida gets finished brutally twice in a row, setup by grappling. And wrestler Cain gets finished by a basic arm in guillotine off a takedown.

I don't think there's a new era of anything much, its just a matter of individual match-ups.

Excellent examples. Werdum though is one of these guys that got really dangerous ever since he improved his striking. We always knew that his jj was world class but against really good strikers he always found it hard to get close enough to use his grappling. The fedor fight is an exception but against overseen he couldn't get close without getting hurt. If those two fought tomorrow things would look different.