stripes on your belt ?? (bjj)

What do you guys think of the instructor adding stripes in bjj. It seems kind of McDojo to me. Like, your not ready for the next belt, but here is a little something to keep you coming to class.

No. Lots of schools seem to do it.

Depending on the school, there sometimes is an obvious difference between a no-stripe belt and a four-stripe belt of same color.

BJJ is so technical that I can see the use for this system.

I must add that I don't like that many schools are making money off of awarding belts, i.e. belt tests and fees.

THAT, to me, is McDojo.

ATT does that. I train in an ATT affiliate under Roan Carneiro and he gives them out. It allows people to know how close they are to the next belt ubt it doesnt mean all that much. Its a nice system and keeps people motivated.

ATT also added a green belt between white and blue because it can take 2 years to get a legit blue and that is a long time to not know where u stand.

I think it's fine since I believe there are measurable degrees of competence between the belts.

I believe BJJ has fewer belt colors than most, if not all, TMAs. Adding stripes is a good way to show progression and increase motivation during those loooong (for people like me) lapses in promotions.

"ATT also added a green belt between white and blue"

Am I the only one that thinks that is retarded?

I don't think you should be adding belt colors. The system is what it is. White blue purple brown black. McDojo's have thousands of belts. And belt testing fees.

On a black belt, doesn't a stripe a sign for 3 years of being a black belt? I remember reading something like that on graciemag.com

"Am I the only one that thinks that is retarded?"

A lot of people are achievement oriented. Giving them a way to see progression is good for them, and good for business. As long as the school isn't handing them out for nothing, it's all good.

Honestly I think adding a belt is silly. Hell, you could even remove one without much issue. Stripes are fine as an indicator of progress, since a guy who just get his blue belt and a guy who's had his for a couple of years might be at very different levels.

it's a good idea, imo, lets you know how you are progressing. it's not like you have to buy them, but this is america, and we are reults driven.

Also fine not to have them.

mrzipplokk - 

I don't think you should be adding belt colors. The system is what it is. White blue purple brown black. McDojo's have thousands of belts. And belt testing fees.

all respect but, if that were the case, we never would have gotten bjj in the first place.  the system was judo, or was japanese jj, till the gracies said.. hmm.. i think i'll change the system, and bjj was born.

somebody set up a poll. Does your bjj school give out stripes.

where do you train at?

I trained under a Machado and we did that.

Nothing wrong with it,let's you know you're getting better.

kluemaster - 
mrzipplokk - 

all respect but, if that were the case, we never would have gotten bjj in the first place.  the system was judo, or was japanese jj, till the gracies said.. hmm.. i think i'll change the system, and bjj was born.

That was changing techniques and evolving into a more effective style. What does adding belts do to progress the sport?

We have stripes at my BJJ school...It's a way of tracking your progress and giving you a reward for your hard work.

It would be more McDojo style to give belts prematurely.

Nobody suggested giving un earned belts.

green belt is a kids rank in BJJ (under 16)

if you give it to adults its flat out wrong if your following BJJ critera.