stripes on your belt ?? (bjj)

I think most legit BJJ schools do the stripe thing. I haven't heard of many BJJ schools that don't do it.

so where do you train?

ATT, MAchado's....straight from brazil B!

lol

I'm a one stripe yellow belt and proud of it!

SO IS ATT AND MACHADOS MC DOJO?

Or can legit BJJ BB need your permission?

Still, what gym Zip?

I train under Comprido in Chicago, IL (Palatine).  He stripes belts.  He just moved here from Brazil.  I have to assume that they stripe in Brazil also.

Drew

Considering there are only 5 belt colors in BJJ (white, blue, purple, brown, black), I don't see a problem with it....people NEED to to know what their progression is.

We didn't do it at Tai Kai (Team Balance).

But I agree with adding colors. We had yellow and green before blue. You have to realize you are trying to have a school and keep it open and/or make money.

You will keep more people training if you give them more "achievements". A lot of people need this to stay interested. The relatively few, hard-core students don't keep a school afloat, the newbies do.

the stripes on my belt keep me motivated, especially when i don't feel like training.

BUY SOME TAPE AND ADD YOUR OWN

most places do it

Good thinking Max Power

"Business is business, and anything that gets more student sin a dojo, is going to help others improve."

Yes. Like Jhoon Rhee's TKD pitch "Nobody bothers me" !

lol

Mine does it...it's kind of a good reminder of where you're at, and helps out the new guys. There's a LOT of difference in technique between a bare blue belt and a 4 stripe, obviously you'd seek the council of the 4 stripe.

Stripes are good as are belts. You should not have to pay for either from an instructor who teaches you on a regular basis IMHO. Out of the $$$ you pay every month, I would imagine a dollar's worth of athletic tape and a 15 dollar belt every once in a while would be reasonable without having to cough up more jack for a half assed test that you have already passed 10 times over.

Does ATT charge for Green Belt?

^Yup.

If you've trained long and hard enough to be recognized as possessing higher skill than someone who just recently acquired the same rank, where's the harm in adding a stripe to a belt? It's not the end of the world. You know you've earned it and your instructors know you have, as well.

If they are charging for stripes and you get like 3+ per rank then yeah I can see it being a problem, but otherwise, lighten up.

Stripes did not exist in BJJ belts in Brazil, but were added after the Gracies came to the USA. Now, almost all scholls have stripes on belts. Yellow, green and orange are kids belt colors in BJJ. IN ouyr school, normal time fram between belts is 2 years or so, and stripes are 6 months or so between them.

"Stripes are good as are belts. You should not have to pay for either from an instructor who teaches you on a regular basis IMHO. Out of the $$$ you pay every month, I would imagine a dollar's worth of athletic tape and a 15 dollar belt every once in a while would be reasonable without having to cough up more jack for a half assed test that you have already passed 10 times over."

i couldn't agree w/ you more...at my old school they would hold a "belt promotion" once per year,and belts and stripes were awarded...funny thing was,everyone paid the same fee for the promotion,regardless of whether you received a belt or a .02 sliver of tape on your belt...

lmao at adding belts...

I usually make my ayso G8 team use 2 soccer balls to make for a faster game lol