Stripping Penn's title...thoughts?

Penn goes to K-1 and earns more then Tito for fighting in Japan, and Zuffa is threatining to strip Penn's belt. It may or may not be in Penn's contract that he can only fight for UFC, but I think it's actually BAD FOR THE SPORT if Zuffa does this.

They have an oppurtunity to have a star K-1 Fighter as one of their champions, yet they're so pissed that Penn doesn't fight exclusively for the UFC that they want to take his hard-earned title away for doing so.

I don't like using "bad for the sport", but in this case I think what Zuffa is trying to do fits that phrase.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how I feel about Zuffa stripping him of the belt, but if I was Penn, i'd have my bags packed and never look back w/ the money K1 is offering.

Bottom line Penn beat Hughes. He is champ at that weight, with or without a belt.

If they strip BJ of the belt, then they might as well just get rid of the belts altogether. With all the weird shit that has gone on with UFC championships, the welterweight title was the only one that had any real credibility left. Hell, at the moment it's the only one where A) There is a champion and B) That guy got to be champion by actually fighting and defeating the previous champion. Not counting the Vitor/Couture accident as a full fight, of course.

I personally think it's stupid not to let him fight in K-1, unless he refuses to compromise enough to defend his UFC title once in a while.

"They have an oppurtunity to have a star K-1 Fighter as one of their champions, yet they're so pissed that Penn doesn't fight exclusively for the UFC that they want to take his hard-earned title away for doing so."

I just had to explain this point to some shithead in my other topic, but this is exactly what I'm gettin at. Rather than Dana using his charms and tactical standpoint to further promote and represent his organization and it's athletes, he gives every athlete that fights in his organization two choices:

1) penalize those who wish to make money & compete on worldwide levels, which eventually deposits residuals of any such MENTION of leaving into their future contract negotiations.

2) Accept fighting amongst Dana's get-along gang of whatever clearance rack fighters he can find that month, and take a fraction of what you'd get paid worldwide.

That's fair????????

when will the UFC realize that the more exposure their fighters get, the better overall for the UFC. Now, if Penn wont come back and fight after K1 or gives the UFC all kinds of headaches, that is another story...

Unless there is an exclusivity clause in the contract then BJ can do what he wants. Even if he gets stripped of the belt people know what he did. It's kinda hard to hide that kinda thing you know?

Recently Couture told me that they are only offering 1 fight contracts anymore anyway. So if they are only offering 1 fight contracts even if he was the champ then they don't have any hold on him.

If you want fighters to fight for you alone then sign them to contracts.

Bottom line- is the UFC hurting for money so that they actually CAN'T pay these guys?

They have to realize that current champs leaving or not fighting affects their credibility, and takes away from the belt's prestige.

Fuck that! I'm for the fighters gettin as much money as they can. I love the UFC an all but no one should be bound by exclusive contracts. BJ is a UFC champ fighting in another organization, this could bring lots of publicity to the UFC especially if he's successful! To the fans its a good thing some fighters leave the UFC cuz if not we may have never seen Busta/Rampage, Busta/Hendo, Pulver/Bang and now we have a chance to see Penn/Bang! If Japan is where the money is then I say get paid!

If these guys fight amoung the organizations I can only see it being good for them all in the way of exposure.

The fight is official, BJ's belt being stripped isn't as of yet, but it has been discussed.

If BJ wants to make more cash, all power to him but dont expect to keep a UFC title when you're banking it overseas.

Whats so unusual about a fighter getting stripped because he wants to fight elsewhere?

I thought this is industry standard.

Riddick Bowe got stripped because he wouldnt defend his.

Couture got stripped because he choose to fight in Japan.

I dont understand the fuss about this.

Its the norm.

I would say do this:

If Penn is under contract to UFC, wait for the result of his fight. If he wins, bring him back. If he loses, announce it on the next PPV, strip him of the title, and never bring him back. That makes it clear that there is a cost to violating a UFC contract.

If Penn is NOT under contract to UFC, then UFC has nothing to complain about.

"I just had to explain this point to some shithead in my other topic, but this is exactly what I'm gettin at."

So what exactly should they do? What incentive is there for BJ to EVER defend his belt if he's getting that kind of money in K-1? He already said he only planned on fighting once a year; do you think that one fight would be in K-1, or in the half-at-best-as-lucrative UFC?

What if he loses? Will Zuffa promote the next PPV that BJ deigns to appear in as "Watch the UFC World Champion who just got his ass kicked by a guy who hasn't trained MMA in over a year defend his now-empty title!"

It's one thing to penalize a fighter like Rich Franklin, whom they didn't have a fight for, for taking an offer and getting a big paycheck elsewhere. It's another for your title-holder to make his first fight after winning the belt a fight in another (competing) organization, when I have very little doubt that UFC would kill to have him on one of their next two cards this summer.

"If BJ wants to make more cash, all power to him but dont expect to keep a UFC title when you're banking it overseas."

BJ himself doesn't seem to have a problem with giving up the belt for the chance to fight abroad... has said so himself in interviews... and seems to understand the reasoning behind it...
If anything, I think he was more upset about potentially not being invited to participate in future UFC's at all since he made it abundantly clear that he was VERY interested in continuing to fight for their organization...

"So what exactly should they do? What incentive is there for BJ to EVER defend his belt if he's getting that kind of money in K-1? He already said he only planned on fighting once a year; do you think that one fight would be in K-1, or in the half-at-best-as-lucrative UFC?"

In regards to defending the title, you can just see my comments above about him being willing to give up the title...
He never said he's only planning on fighting once a year, he mentioned something to the effect of maybe defending the title once a year, but those comments stem from previous discussions with Zuffa that didn't have him scheduled to defend the title for the better part of this year... part of the reason why he wanted to fight abroad so he could stay busy... and if you look at how active he's been in the last year, his upcoming fight with Duane Ludwig will be his 3rd fight since October '03 which is a pretty good pace imo...
Fighting internationally is a chance to build his name internationally as well as get a lucrative payday... Doing so allows him to potentially continue to fight for the UFC and not necessarily worry about getting a big enough payday there since he'd already be getting it elsewhere... He's said himself in interviews that he was satisfied with financial negotiations with the UFC and that he was willing to fight for them for what they were offering (this was before his announcement to fight for K1 and before Zuffa said they wouldn't have him back as a result)... So obviously fighting for the UFC wouldn't strictly be about money, but for continuing to build himself here in the USA, wanting to continue to be a part of the UFC, etc...

just my $0.02...

As long as a fighter defends his title or is not under contract what is wrong with fighting elsewhere?

Nothing at all is wrong with it. Fighters have to do what's best for themselves. But so do the organizations. If a UFC champion were to be beaten outside the UFC, it would make the title meaningless. You'd have people crying that the "linear champion" is now in that other organization.

The UFC needs to make certain that if one of their champions is beaten, it is by another UFC fighter so that the title can remain within the promotion.

There's nothing personal involved; both the fighters and the organizations have to look out for their own interests.

the UFC should be trying to win Penn back, or at least be looking to share him.

"You'd have people crying that the "linear champion" is now in that other organization."

I have to disagree.. At worst, It would set up a good grunge match between whoever beat the champ and the champ. The UFC could set this up and make money off other promotions.

Zuffa is making a mistake if they really are going to strip BJ. IMO..

lol @ calling bang and sudo "tomato cans"...
good one...