Stripping Penn's title...thoughts?

"I have to disagree.. At worst, It would set up a good grunge match between whoever beat the champ and the champ. The UFC could set this up and make money off other promotions."

Only if a) the other fighter is both contractually free to fight in UFC and b) willing to do so -- given the fact that the UFC can't match the payouts K-1, Inoki, and Pride can, that's fairly unlikely or at least not a good risk. Not to mention scheduling conflicts that could leave UFC (again) without a "real" champ for long stretches.

If the UFC strips BJ, then two ppl fight for the vacant title. If he wants to kick some ass in Japan, who cares. If he loses at least he took a risk. The title has a controversial history anyways considering the "Whoever regains consciousness first wins the title" ruling.

I agree Orcus, but then that would be Zuffa's ball to drop. They could do a co-promotion, or whatever.

I'll leave that up to Dana. =)

In boxing there are laws against restricting a fighter from fighting for other organizations. If the UFC wishes to gain greater acceptance with boxing commissions (who control the majority of any fight-sporta liscensure in the country) across the USA then they need to drop their Draconian managment style.

The WWE signs talent to "exclusive" contracts, the UFC shoudn't.

BJ will go where the money is, and I wish him the best of luck. I swear, the UFC is like the USFL and the Japanese orgs are like the NFL. They just cherry pick most of the best guys.

If Penn stays in the UFC, he's going to have to fight Hughes and we know how that one will goHe'd win, most likely.

Get rid of the belts-fuck it.

IMO The UFC titles belts as a whole have pretty much lost all credibility. Hughes was the last great Champ.

I don't get why Zuffa doesn't try something like taking a royalty fee for K-1 or Pride using one of their guys. Also, Ludwig and Penn are both known for fighting in the UFC, just spin it like UFC guys are being used by somebody else. Wank wank. Why not even make it for the UFC title and charge K-1 for the privelige?

If it's an exxclusive deal then he should be stripped otherwise it just creates another "champ who's not the champ" situation.

Hughes was the last great Champ. That's unfortunate that Zuffa actively chose not to take advantage of Penn's potential.Word out is that Penn has officialy been stripped of the title as of yesterday.

Hughes was the last great Champ. That's unfortunate that Zuffa actively chose not to take advantage of Penn's potential.Word out is that Penn has officialy been stripped of the title as of yesterday.

Nothing at all is wrong with it. Fighters have to do what's best for themselves. But so do the organizations.

- correctamundo. But judging from everyone bitching round here, only BJ gets to do whats best for him.

Just my opinion, but he shouldn't have signed an exclusive contract if he wasn't prepared to live up to the obligation. I'm not saying he shouldn't go for the $, but if it was in the contract that he was the exclusive property of the UFC, then he knows the cost of breaking his comittment... bigger $ and hot Japanese chicks... okay on second thought, SCREW the UFC!

excusive contract?
what exclusive contract?

hmmmm...

If the contract wasn't exclusive, then how can they strip him of his title?

Nobody knows anything about Penn's contract, do they?