Strong Neck= Better Chin?

I've heard this a lot. Basically I've been told that if your neck is strong, your head won't be jolted as much when you get hit which results in not getting knocked out easily or any. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Phone Post

TTT Phone Post

It helps, yes. It's not only factor, but a "pencil neck" is at a physiological disadvantage as compared to someone with a large/strong neck in any whiplash type of event--including a crack across the jaw. Phone Post

I believe Pat Miletich has been quoted as saying this quite often, which is also why he believes wrestlers generally have good chins, since they're getting their shit yanked on their whole lives (that's what she said.)

But yeah, he knows a thing or two about MMA and it makes anatomical sense, so I'd say there's a pretty strong case for it.

Yeah, it's true. My coach has even mentioned it to me, I've got a wide Hendo-esque neck, that it makes it easier to take a shot. Teddy Atlas mentions it often, saying that it makes it easier to take a shot. 

What excerises should you do to get a stronger neck? I'm only 150 pounds so my neck isn't that big.lol. Phone Post

I don't buy it.  Japanese fighters per capita seem to be the hardest to ko.  Sure they get ko'd ,but not as much other nationalities.  Those guys can take a beating.

I saw some training videos of Thiago Alves at ATT. He used a really weird looking machine where he had headgear connected to a bunch of weights and would nod. There's also Muay Thai fighters that hold a stick in their mouth with a string tied to some weights and do the same thing. Could be something to it.

Get a head harness - at 150lbs you'll look just like this:

http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/Head_Harness_Neck_Harness_Weight_Lifting_j.jpg

Willin - Get a head harness - at 150lbs you'll look just like this:

Worst Rampage costume ever

gaycuckold - 

lol

Cerrone's Cowgirl -
gaycuckold - 

lol

Lol I'm on my iphone. Can some embed it for me? Phone Post

KevinMcAllister - 
Freeman Dyson -  I don't buy it.  Japanese fighters per capita seem to be the hardest to ko.  Sure they get ko'd ,but not as much other nationalities.  Those guys can take a beating.

LOL  what? and secondly,  Japanese people can't have thick necks?

Japanese guys typically have the smallest, leanest build.  Like all Asians.  Look at some of their A list  fighters.  Gomi never finished by strikes.  Okami has twice, once recently by Anderson.

Their smaller guys are harder to ko or tap at the lower weight classes too.  Hioki never finished in 30 fights.   I bet if you took all nationalities and added up how often they were finished, Japanese would be last.  They are scrappy.

Freeman Dyson -
KevinMcAllister - 
Freeman Dyson -  I don't buy it.  Japanese fighters per capita seem to be the hardest to ko.  Sure they get ko'd ,but not as much other nationalities.  Those guys can take a beating.

Japanese guys typically have the smallest, leanest build.  Like all Asians.  Look at some of their A list  fighters.  Gomi never finished by strikes.  Okami has twice, once recently by Anderson.

Their smaller guys are harder to ko or tap at the lower weight classes too.  Hioki never finished in 30 fights.   I bet if you took all nationalities and added up how often they were finished, Japanese would be last.  They are scrappy.

And so, therefore, having a strong/large neck cannot possibly contribute to resisting being KO'd?? Phone Post

MTH -
Freeman Dyson -
KevinMcAllister - 

And so, therefore, having a strong/large neck cannot possibly contribute to resisting being KO'd?? Phone Post

And didn't Gomi just get KTFO? Phone Post

saw a video of Tyson doing neck bridges back in the day that would put alot of wrestlers to shame Phone Post

SwaggerJacker - What excerises should you do to get a stronger neck? I'm only 150 pounds so my neck isn't that big.lol.

Try giving blowjobs. My gf gives me mad blow jobs. HUGE neck.

LOL, just playing, I'd say one of those head-harness things and also, lots of shrugs to build your trapezius muscles up.

And to chime in on the Japanese argument, are you sure they don't get KO'ed a lot because most of them are primarily grapplers? Or who knows, maybe there's something in their genetics that enables them to take hits more?

SwaggerJacker - What excerises should you do to get a stronger neck? I'm only 150 pounds so my neck isn't that big.lol. Phone Post

Push ups with head up. Phone Post

Also people with bigger heads have traditionally been harder to KO and they have bigger necks to hold the big noggin Phone Post

Lay on your back and have shoulders relaxed keeping on the mat, then do reps of up/down chin to chest, then left to right moving head and looking side to side, then ear to shoulder, all while keeping your head off the mat. There's one way of building some strength if you don't use weights.