Strong neck=Strong Chin?

Hi guys,

Since we're in the habit of dispelling old myths, wonder if we could discuss another one: does a strong neck give one more resistance to a punch.

I've spoken to various people about this and pretty much no one that I know who boxes says it means anything.

Just fropm observation, Kevin Randleman has been knocked out several times, and certainly he has a monster neck, but then again Tyson does too, and while he's been knocked out, he takes a punch as well as any champ.

So does the size or strength of the neck matter?

thanks.

To some degree it helps, but if you're chin sucks then not even a 23" neck is going to give you an iron jaw.

I think a thick neck is usually indicative of a good chin because people who have naturally thick necks tend to have large skulls. If you take someone with a tiny frame and small head and give them roids and have them work their neck until it is HUGE, it isn't going to be the same as a guy like Tex Cobb who just has a huge head and a big neck to support it.

i think it helps, but there is only so much it can help against the heavyweights, i think it helped for holyfied, and I think Holy had a stronger neck than tyson. I've seen Hopkins do a lot of neck exercises when he's training and at the lighter weights i've seen guys with big necks like Mamadou Thiam and John Brown able to take huge beatings without going down, I think its got something to do with having a strong neck.

Good points Stockybrawler.

"it isn't going to be the same as a guy like Tex Cobb who just has a huge head and a big neck to support it."

It might not be the same, but it is working the neck a waste of time then?

but what about kevin randleman? he has a monster neck and yet he's been put out a lot.

Having a good chin is more dependent on the structure of your jaw and head. When you get punched, the impact travels through your head and *boinks* a nerve. People with good chins simply have a jaw structure that transfers less energy to mr sleepy nerve.

Another cause of ko's is your brain sloshing around. Having a strong neck, I would think, would leave one less open to having your head snap around from impacts (thus lessening the amount of brain-sloshtitude).

(disclaimer.. i dont remember where I got that from so if you disagree with me, you're probably right)

*edited* damn itchy mouse fingers

also depends on what kind of stance you fight with

i think having a strong neck and jaw are both key, but if one of the two is way stronger than the other, then all that extra strength will do nothing. for instance, picture a guy with a strong neck and a pansy masseter ( the main muscle supporting your jaw), picture this guy taking a hard shot to the chin. regardless of the strength of his neck his body will reflexively relax his neck muscles in order to protect his jaw, otherwise it would be seriously injured if the neck did not 'give'. picture this guy eating a shot that his jaw couldnt handle, yet holding his neck stiff and his jaw being virtually ripped off. sometimes our bodies are wiser than our conscious minds.

Of course it helps. What do trainers do when a guy has a weak chin...make him work on his neck.

Damn I thought anyone who boxed knew that.

Actually, most boxing trainers have guys work on not getting hit flush on the chin.

thanks for all the posts.

"also depends on what kind of stance you fight with"

dreggan, could you elaborate on this a little?

scaf, interesting observation.

"Of course it helps. What do trainers do when a guy has a weak chin...make him work on his neck.
Damn I thought anyone who boxed knew that."

Well, I guess I didn't. There are so many wives tales and misconceptions that I'm not sure what to believe sometimes.

Arturo Gatti has a pencil neck, and yet look how many shots he absorbs.

I'm not arguing with anyone, just trying to learn...

I was speaking of the references to Kevin Randleman, I have never seen him fight, but I doubt he is fighting out of a more defensive stance, strong neck or not, you still need to keep the chin tucked and the elbows in tight, and then you'll be able to absorb a monster beating.

I saw a picture of a 12 year old Tyson doing neck excercises while D'mato watched. Doing neck excercises at 12?? D'mato must've had big plans for him.

"Actually, most boxing trainers have guys work on not getting hit flush on the chin. "

What would we ever do without you? lol

yes because his traps are so big you dont really notice his neck