Student to Teacher

As a jiu jitsu practicioner, one of the things that gives me the most pleasure in our sport other than competing is spreading the art to my friends or people that previously had absolutely zero experience. However, being a blue belt, I understand that I still have an absurd amount of learning to do and obviously (like everyone else) find myself making mistakes every day. My question to you guys/gals (mostly for those of you who have taught) is this. What kind of tips do you have for teaching new practicioners? Im not looking to get paid doing this for now, I just want to have lessons for some of my friends a couple times a week. Any mistakes you have made teaching that you'd like to share? Thanks in advance! Phone Post

I think the "mistake" happens with lower belts when they shift their mindset from being mostly a student to that of being mostly a teacher...

I know a good blue belt doing this; he started teaching, then teaching a second place, then expanded his nights. Now he hardly ever actually trains and just teaches "his guys". I've visited his class a couple times, and it pains me to watch some of the things they are doing in there. He's drawing from Catch and other arts to "fill in the gaps" but the problem is, he's just not that far from a beginner himself, so he doesn't have the perspective & knowledge to truly be a "head instructor", but that's the role he's been cast in.

One of the big differences between training with a more experienced teacher vs. a less experienced teacher is the QUALITY of information the students get. Everyone's got an "answer", but more experienced people tend to have BETTER answers.

So if you insist on teaching, just be honest that you aren't an "expert" that you are learning right along with them and make sure your mindset stays first and foremost that of a STUDENT, rather than an instructor.

^^^ appreciate the tips shen. Yea I made it clear that im learning just like they are. I certainly wont start teaching more than training (since I pay to train at a great school, I love going, and i need to train to compete). I just want to help out some of my friends that cant afford the hefty monthly fees. Phone Post

^ My pleasure.

Oh, and as far as "specific" teaching mistakes I've made... early on, very early on, I raped a couple students from the kid's class.

--But that was a LONG time ago, I'm a much better dude now who keeps it positive and I've had a number of my students from the Shendokan win gold at tournaments.

OK, have fun & good luck!!!

shen - ^ My pleasure.

Oh, and as far as "specific" teaching mistakes I've made... early on, very early on, I raped a couple students from the kid's class.

--But that was a LONG time ago, I'm a much better dude now who keeps it positive and I've had a number of my students win gold at tournaments.

OK, have fun & good luck!!!

Lmaoo....too soon... Phone Post

You can market your first hand raping experience into a rape prevention system.

Hey, look at that glass. It looks half full.

This is not where I pictured this thread going....

thisescalatedquickly.gif Phone Post