Students that train at two schools...?

This topic comes up quite frequently.  

"Personally, I don't mind if a student trains at two schools.  So long as they are financially responsible, they can train where they like.  "

That's often the reasoning that's given.  But what happens when the student is competing at a tournament and both coaches are there?  Who takes the lead position?  A white belt that has two BB coaches is now intimidated of picking one over the other for that position.  Both coaches aren't going to fight over coaching the student.  So now it's an awkward position for everyone involved.  

For the guys that are fine with the situation, how do you deal with this?  

My BB retired and I got a new job that I was commuting to and couldn't mKe it back to my originals schools classes on time and had to find a new school. I was a 4th year purple at the time and moved around to a few places lookin for a new school. Trained at a couple at same time before to committed to one. When I left one it felt awkward and am still not sure how they would feel about me if asked. But the school I stayed with were the ones who made me feel comfortable about coming in as a " higher" belt from the get go, if that helps Phone Post 3.0

Never had financial issues but the school I stuck with was also far less restrictive an intense with their contracts Phone Post 3.0

Pretty common in Judo.

Not really a problem as long as one school is the school of record which does promotions.

Not an issue unless one of the schools wants it to be one.

Very common in youth/middle/high school wrestling as well.
Most good wrestlers have a club team, sometimes a couple, where they do most of their training.
They will obviously wrestle under their school name from middle school through high school at official school events even though they only train there 3 or 4 months out of the year.
USA and AAU, it gets kind of muddied. I've noticed at the middle school level, kids tend to represent their club but at high school, they usually wear their school singlet even when it's their club coach in the corner Phone Post 3.0

when this happens i usually let the other coach sit in the student's corner and then shout over him [the other coach] from the back...i feel like coaching during a match is largely a waste of time anyway, and this helps heighten the confusion for all involved

There's one "home" school and the other one you're visiting/cross training....

If you train there all the time, then pay membership...If you just come by now and then and you're paying at the other place, then thanks for coming by and working out with us.

I don't see it ending well. But I'm sure it's possible Phone Post 3.0

i train at 2 gyms. and often hit open mats on the weekends.

all of my coaches understand which gym is the one that promotes me...and both gyms have coached me in tournaments when the other couldn't be there...

i try to be as much of an asset to each gym as they are to me. i like to think it works out swell...and if they think different they haven't said so.

I actually train at a bunch of places (4 to be exact). It's really a matter of scheduling. Sometimes I'm busy as hell and I can't always train at the specific times that my main school is open, so I keep a list of all of the schools that are open in my area at specific times so I can walk in, pay the mat fee, and train.

My main instructors are extremely understanding, very non-political when it comes to BJJ. The only thing they ask is that I train safely and protect myself. Any rank I'm given, however, is done through them, and I register under them for tournaments. I'm only supplementing my training at the other places so I can maximize my training according to my schedule.

The other schools I train at are likewise very welcoming and happy to have me there. I just roll light, keep it playful, stay humble and learn as much as possible. It's also great to get different perspectives, more details to the same positions, more insight. Honestly it's all about learning BJJ as much as possible.

I've got a "home" gym, that will always be my home. But I train at at least 3-4 other places pretty often. We're in a secluded area and everyone that trains knows each other and most of us grew up training together at one point or another. When I go to Atlanta there's a slew of gyms that always welcome me with open arms. Atlanta has gotten really good about being a pretty solid bjj "community" and people cross train a lot with little to no fuss or drama. There are a ton of open mats that welcome people from all gyms. I feel really bad for the guys that have to deal with that stuff. I've been able to train with, and hang with, so many cool people because of the attitude of the gym owners around GA. It's been really cool. Phone Post 3.0

I am a brown belt under Joao Faria (Alliance San Diego) I go to San Diego for the training camps and to visit a few times a year all my promotions will be from there. But I live and train in Florida with Schlosser BJJ. At first I thought it was weird but now I don't think it's a big deal. Both professors are cool with it. Phone Post 3.0

falsecrack - when this happens i usually let the other coach sit in the student's corner and then shout over him [the other coach] from the back...i feel like coaching during a match is largely a waste of time anyway, and this helps heighten the confusion for all involved

Best conceivable answer ever!

A_Butler - I've got a "home" gym, that will always be my home. But I train at at least 3-4 other places pretty often. We're in a secluded area and everyone that trains knows each other and most of us grew up training together at one point or another. When I go to Atlanta there's a slew of gyms that always welcome me with open arms. Atlanta has gotten really good about being a pretty solid bjj "community" and people cross train a lot with little to no fuss or drama. There are a ton of open mats that welcome people from all gyms. I feel really bad for the guys that have to deal with that stuff. I've been able to train with, and hang with, so many cool people because of the attitude of the gym owners around GA. It's been really cool. Phone Post 3.0

How's Jacare doing there? He's an awesome instructor but he comes from an older era and I can't imagine him being okay with his students training at other places (non-Alliance) as a regular part of their schedule if they are a competitor.

But, WHO do you compete under at competitions? Also, are you training at different schools who are in direct vicinity of one another? Same town?

I was always tell my guys that training at 2 competing schools is OK, BUT you eventually have to pick a flag.

mideastgrappler -
A_Butler - I've got a "home" gym, that will always be my home. But I train at at least 3-4 other places pretty often. We're in a secluded area and everyone that trains knows each other and most of us grew up training together at one point or another. When I go to Atlanta there's a slew of gyms that always welcome me with open arms. Atlanta has gotten really good about being a pretty solid bjj "community" and people cross train a lot with little to no fuss or drama. There are a ton of open mats that welcome people from all gyms. I feel really bad for the guys that have to deal with that stuff. I've been able to train with, and hang with, so many cool people because of the attitude of the gym owners around GA. It's been really cool. Phone Post 3.0

How's Jacare doing there? He's an awesome instructor but he comes from an older era and I can't imagine him being okay with his students training at other places (non-Alliance) as a regular part of their schedule if they are a competitor.
I've never trained at Alliance HQ so I can't say anything about how he runs things. but I see some of their Browns and blacks train at open mats around town pretty often. Phone Post 3.0

I trained at two schools, I had one school as my "main school" patches, promotions etc from them, and my other school I would drop in once a week. My instructor actually wants us to crosstrain. Phone Post 3.0

Also, you're all very cretonie Phone Post 3.0

I have one home school (that grades me and everything) and one cross training school. I don't compete super often but when I do it is obviously always under my home school's banner and it will always be that way. I've never had any issues Phone Post 3.0