Submission Only CHICAGO! 5/3/2014

shortyjj -
bonez05 - And give up 20 lbs to people that live in the burbs and make it out there on Friday night ? No thanks.

Would live to do the tournament though, but Oaklawn may as well be Indiana.

If it moves closer to the city in the future I'm in for sure Phone Post 3.0

You may want to use your white belt to soak up your soggy vagina.
U going then ? Phone Post 3.0

Logan, let me check my work schedule. Text me tomorrow bro, I got some plans Phone Post 3.0

baby-silverback - Logan, let me check my work schedule. Text me tomorrow bro, I got some plans Phone Post 3.0
Will do! Phone Post 3.0

bonez05 - And give up 20 lbs to people that live in the burbs and make it out there on Friday night ? No thanks.

a sub only tournament run by one of the best grappling tournament organizers is coming to oak lawn. they're giving you 3 months notice

if oak lawn is too far, what tournament can you actually do? i can't even think of a tournament that's closer than oak lawn, aside for when ibjjf comes to chicago state (which is actually closer to indiana than oak lawn)

for my first tournament i had to drive to satan's bunghole gary indiana because everybody in chicago had no other options. can't believe people complaining about oak lawn

bonez05 - 
shortyjj -

wait so does this mean youre a white belt

Day before weigh in also help the tournament run smooth. If half the people weigh in,register and sign waiver day before that really helps the even start on time and get the day started right. If it's that long of a drive buy a hotel room with a few other people. That's what I always did and I was broke but made for some good memories.

Rick

bonez05 - 
shortyjj -

No. Chicago is about 7 hours from me. But I'm definitely going when US Grappling Sub only is just two hours from me in Rochester, NY.

bonez05 - 
shortyjj -

ha, alright, you sort of redeemed yourself there.  Honestly man, I think some of the crazy alpha shit that goes on at certain other tournaments gives all local to regional tournaments the same reputation.  This isn't the case in USG.  Those uber douches will tend to stay away from these tournaments as well, because they're terrified of submission only.  

You're newer (not brand new likely) to the sport.  We've all been there.  Honestly, I just think it would be a shame for you to miss out on a really well run tournament because of an image painted by other tournaments.  That's all.  Do the tournament.  Try it out and see the difference betweeen them and say NAGA or GQ.  I would say do the NAGA there as well, but they were kind enough to announce their tournament several weeks after USG announced their Chicago date.  You wouldn't ever see USG make such a douche move.  More importantly, it's an injustice to the competitors in the Chicago area, who now have to make a decision, instead of having different tournaments spread out.  

Introduce yourself to goatfury/Andrew, and say hi.  He'll take a bit and tell you about things and introduce you to some of the other people that are at the core of running the tournament.  When I go to a USG, I always feel that I am going to not only a tournament, but a place where a lot of good friends will be at for the day.  They have a tournament to run, so they can't carry on an 8 hour conversation, but they've got time to get to know the competitors.  If there was something that didn't sit well with you about a rule or a ref, or another competitor, tell the crew or at least message them after the tournament.  They legitatemely want to hear about it. I'm just telling you my experience.  I don't make a dime from USG and never had.  The last NAGA I was at, Kip was screaming over the loudspeaker (for the first time) that if every advanced heavyweight didn't get over to table 10, that they were fuckin dq'd.  I've gotten some good experience at some NAGA's and it has it's place, but a better product is in town in May.  

bonez, gather up a crew and come out.  A month or so before, register online so you get a t-shirt.  I'll pay for your entry fee.  If you sign up, don't pay, just register.  Message me on the UG and tell me what that you've registered.  I'll send USG a paypal payment in your name.  No catches to it. I keep your name private and I'll delete the UG message after I verify that I paid for you.  You keep your anonymity.  

Appreciate the kind offer. Not a money issue though my time is much more limited. I may compete we'll see. I would rather do this one than the chicago open. I generally like to cut 12 - 16 lbs. So I'll see where my weight is at.

Sounds like this a good tournament. I agree naga is awful. That was the only game in town back in the day and admittedly ruined my appetite for the smaller tournament organizations Phone Post 3.0

bonez05 - Appreciate the kind offer. Not a money issue though my time is much more limited. I may compete we'll see. I would rather do this one than the chicago open. I generally like to cut 12 - 16 lbs. So I'll see where my weight is at.

Sounds like this a good tournament. I agree naga is awful. That was the only game in town back in the day and admittedly ruined my appetite for the smaller tournament organizations Phone Post 3.0
You're welcome and it stands regardless.

I think why you'll see so many competitors, forum members, brown/black belts, ADCC participants, come to a USG thread so quickly is that we've been through those crappy experiences at other tournaments. One of USG's main purpose is to squash that image and we want them to thrive.

I'll be at the Chicago Open for both days. I'll start a check in thread a few days before and maybe some fellow UG'ers can connect and at least say what's up in person. Phone Post

BrCutter -
bonez05 - 
shortyjj -

ha, alright, you sort of redeemed yourself there.  Honestly man, I think some of the crazy alpha shit that goes on at certain other tournaments gives all local to regional tournaments the same reputation.  This isn't the case in USG.  Those uber douches will tend to stay away from these tournaments as well, because they're terrified of submission only.  

You're newer (not brand new likely) to the sport.  We've all been there.  Honestly, I just think it would be a shame for you to miss out on a really well run tournament because of an image painted by other tournaments.  That's all.  Do the tournament.  Try it out and see the difference betweeen them and say NAGA or GQ.  I would say do the NAGA there as well, but they were kind enough to announce their tournament several weeks after USG announced their Chicago date.  You wouldn't ever see USG make such a douche move.  More importantly, it's an injustice to the competitors in the Chicago area, who now have to make a decision, instead of having different tournaments spread out.  

Introduce yourself to goatfury/Andrew, and say hi.  He'll take a bit and tell you about things and introduce you to some of the other people that are at the core of running the tournament.  When I go to a USG, I always feel that I am going to not only a tournament, but a place where a lot of good friends will be at for the day.  They have a tournament to run, so they can't carry on an 8 hour conversation, but they've got time to get to know the competitors.  If there was something that didn't sit well with you about a rule or a ref, or another competitor, tell the crew or at least message them after the tournament.  They legitatemely want to hear about it. I'm just telling you my experience.  I don't make a dime from USG and never had.  The last NAGA I was at, Kip was screaming over the loudspeaker (for the first time) that if every advanced heavyweight didn't get over to table 10, that they were fuckin dq'd.  I've gotten some good experience at some NAGA's and it has it's place, but a better product is in town in May.  

bonez, gather up a crew and come out.  A month or so before, register online so you get a t-shirt.  I'll pay for your entry fee.  If you sign up, don't pay, just register.  Message me on the UG and tell me what that you've registered.  I'll send USG a paypal payment in your name.  No catches to it. I keep your name private and I'll delete the UG message after I verify that I paid for you.  You keep your anonymity.  

VTFU Phone Post 3.0

bonez05 - Appreciate the kind offer. Not a money issue though my time is much more limited. I may compete we'll see. I would rather do this one than the chicago open. I generally like to cut 12 - 16 lbs. So I'll see where my weight is at.

You could probably save yourself a lot of time by not cutting 12-16 pounds for a local grappling tournament.

True enough. All or nothing for me though. If I'm competing it's to win. For me it's more about getting mentally prepared that physically. I like to compete 2x a year but I won't unless I feel 100% prepared Phone Post 3.0

US Grappling is legit and Andrew Smith is legit, I'd love to see US Grappling continue to grow and one day be the premier organization, Fuck ibjjf Phone Post 3.0

PootieTang - US Grappling is legit and Andrew Smith is legit, I'd love to see US Grappling continue to grow and one day be the premier organization, Fuck ibjjf Phone Post 3.0

Wa Da Tah

Will be there with a big team for sure.

ttttt tt 

Andrew, do you draw inspiration daily from our phenomenal leadership at USA Jiu Jitsu? 

Known as Papa John by his students, John Gorman is the Commissioner of USA Jiu Jitsu and Executive Director of Jiu Jitsu International. He's a pan-american gold medalist and twice world champion, and has the greatest passion for Jiu Jitsu.

Students who roll with Papa John know he is no ordinary Army retiree.  Lt. Col. Kevin McKenna, Belvoir’s Headquarters Battalion commander, met Gorman in March when he came here to conduct jiu-jitsu seminars and a tournament for local students.

“It’s a phenomenal ability to be able to grasp these concepts and then take them to the next level like Papa John has,“ McKenna said in a phone interview on a day that had started the same way the previous had ended; on the mat with Gorman. “Age, weight, strength, size are not necessary characteristics if you have good technique, and he’s got it.“

McKenna was humbled by Gorman’s prowess on the mat. “I feel so inexperienced in comparison,“ he said.
A quick Web search for Papa John Gorman reveals that many younger grapplers openly admire his ability. One 37-year-old wrote on a jiu-jitsu discussion board, “[he] visits our gym occasionally and schools everyone in the gym.“ Students and training partners marvel at the fact that a man twice or three times their own age can apply these precise techniques against them, even as they try to escape.

Gorman’s skill and technical aptitude are even more impressive when students learn how recently he took up jiu-jitsu. Papa John started when he was 54. Less than four years later, he earned his black belt.
“For many, it takes six, 10 or more years to earn their black belt,“ said Gorman between classes.

ttt for tr** ******