Submissions In Wrestling

I am a fighter. I have been doing BJJ and have done Catch. I am about to go to a very good frestyle wrestling school. I was wondering how I could use submission in my wrestling.

I'm a freestyle wrestler and you are allowed to choke as long as your using your opponents arm. The three quarter nelson is kinda like a submission...

The most widely available book on wrestling "Winning Wrestling Moves" shows 3 "submissions": the banana split, katagatame, and the shin lock.

don't forget the guillotine.. which Eddie Bravo calls the Twister.. the banana split has a similar starting position as the guillotine

I am curious but what is a shin lock?

I am guessing the katagatame is a front head and arm?

A shin lock is a move you use to escape being back mounted. You basically grab a foot that is being used as a hook and dig your elbow onto the middle of the shin.

Katagatame is also known as an "arm triangle," a carotid artery choke using your head and arm. Your head is pressing your opponent's arm into his neck and your arm is working on the other side of the neck.

moves that are used to intentionally inflict pain or strangle the opponent are, by rule, illegal

sometimes you get away with it

but as Nick Simmons will tell you, when you become known for using such techniques you will be ostricized from the wrestling community and the refs will watch you very closely

Give credit to Simmons though, as he's moved away from the illegal techniques and become a much better wrestler.

I love Nick "the strangler" Simmons.

But to choke out your opponent is a legal way of winning. I know this because I got second in regionals losing to a guy who choked me out...

BS.  its not a legal way of winning.  strangulation is illegal.  Ive seen guys get choked out then pinned.  its not legal, but most refs arent looking for chokes therefore guys often get away with technically legal holds that choke you out.

I'm not bsing dude. How do you finish a head and arm? With a choke using the other dudes arm. That was the first wrestling takedown I learned and I was taught to end it in a choke/pin.

I always though the difference between amateur catch and pro catch were the use of submissions.That's not saying a good crossface,nelson,and other holds can't hurt you .

That was the first wrestling takedown I learned and I was taught to end it in a choke/pin.

WRONG.

Youre taught to end it with a pin, that is the goal of wrestling.

If youre taught to choke someone with it then youre being taught an illegal technique.

can some one please show us what Nick The strangler simmons did? either describe it or show a picture or something please.

You can easily choke someone out with a front headlock.

How do you defend chokes from a headlock?

"past high school? then its too late for you bud! better concentrate on striking from now on!!"

Ah, come on! You can always go to BJJ, or Judo to grapple, or, get into Catch Wrestling, which is getting off the gound again. Heck, you could even do a study of what's illegal in free-style/folk-style yourself and, add those holds to your game. Start a wrestling club to explore wrestling submissions. There are all kinds of things to do and, you don't have to settle for striking only.

can some one please show us what Nick The strangler simmons did? either describe it or show a picture or something please.

this is from one of his matches in the NCAAs when he was penalized and ended up losing the match because of his repeated choking attempts:

Clendenin attempts to escape:

he would often choke with the "merkle" hold, but also from front headlocks

thanx everyone. I actually do wrestle. I wrestled in high school and Will be wrestling in College. I also train in BJJ. I have alot to learn and so I have many questions about various moves and techniques.

take care

FC