Submissions vs. Striking Argument.

Due to the high number of retarded threads on the UG regarding the superiority of submissions over striking techniques I thought I'd do my homework....

I decided to go through the last 10 UFCs and list how each fight was ended so we can see what works and what doesn't.

Here's the run down.....there were 81 total fights at the last 10 UFCs and this is how they ended....

19 fights were ended by submission holds....4 armbars, 3 triangle chokes, 3 guillotine chokes, 2 rear naked chokes, 1 injury, 1 arm triangle choke, 1 bulldog choke, 1 neck crank, 1 triangle body lock, 1 straight ankle lock, and 1 kimura.

39 fights were ended by KO/TKO/submission from strikes.

There were 21 decisions, 1 draw, and 1 DQ.

SO, that means that 23% of fights were ended by submission holds, and 48% of fights were ended by striking techniques.

BEING that MORE THAN TWICE as many fights were ended by strikes than submissions, which is superior again???? :-)

The facts pretty much speak for themselves IMHO.

I am sick and tired of all the ridiculous blather that is passed off as fact on the UG.

I saw some gay thread about how striking isn't effective and I had to fight ignorance with facts...

But, we all know that reality isn't a prerequisite for UG membership!

LMAO at "You (r?) statistical analysis is meaningless."!!

Kind of like your life then, huh Goku??

Shouldn't you be out teaching the art of 'civilized' fighting??

"I saw some gay thread about how striking isn't effective and I had to fight ignorance with facts.."

And? That's it? The comments of 1 possibly 2 guys was enough that you HAD to create this?

Let's see how, many rules have been massaged to help strikers? How about the philosophy behing UFC matchmaking these days? There's several reasons why this is so...

Ko's have always exceeded subs in MMA. Just the ay it is.

Yeah, and all ADCC matches have ended by submissions, so I guess submissions are superior then???

MMA allows for striking AND grappling techniques equally, so I don't think my statistics are off one bit....

Oh, I forgot how MMA has rules to prevent submission artists from using their techniques....NOT.

Being that TWICE as many fights were ended by striking, is it wrong to say that STRIKING IS TWICE AS EFFECTIVE AS SUBMISSIONS???

I don't know, you be the judge.... :-)

A lot of ref stoppages and tap outs due to strikes are due to getting in a bad position (mount) as the result of grappling....not necessarily striking. So that should be taken into consideration.

Pulsar, most rules in MMA are to limit the striker, not the grappler.

The reason that Rorion made biting, eye gouging, and groin shots illegal were to protect the grappler from grappling's best defenses.

The reason that kicking a downed opponent is illegal is to protect the downed man, not the guy standing and striking.

There are way more rules to protect grapplers than to protect strikers IMHO, but I haven't done a thorough analysis yet..... :-)

BTW, sorry Pulsar, wrong dude.

JWiz, that is a good point BUT that isn't the point.

Someone put up a thread stating that striking techniques don't work and I'm PROVING that they do.

Someone else put up a thread stating how submissions were superior to striking techniques.

I also read a million threads from BJJ jock riders who claim that striking isn't an attempt to end the fight.

I am using facts to state that THESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!

Anyone who thinks that submissions are the only fight enders are living in a DREAM WORLD.

When will people see that their style is only part of the overall puzzle??

How can anyone be so close minded as to believe that only submissions are useful??

It never ceases to amaze me.....

Start naming and quoting bro'... Honestly.

There's been a number of knee-jerk - 'ALL bjj guys think they can td like wrestlers and are the most badass dudes'... Where in reality, this is not being said. A thread with lots of posts on these subjects doesn't somehow mean all bjj people have a higher regard of their abilities than reality.

Are you talking about the submission vs KO - which do you prefer thread???? Hoenstly I do prefer watching a sub end a fight, I've watched boxing and kickboxing for so long, I love a different style of finish.

"When will people see that their style is only part of the overall puzzle??"

Absolutely. However people are saying on these threads stuff like "BJJ is worthless" (one of Kai's choice comments).

Why is it so hard to understand that a sport (BJJ) with so many links/ties to MMA will be discussed and most likely supported on here?

People are drawing incorrect conclusions from basic support offered to their MA.

Subs are part of the big three in MMA - striking, wrestling, submissions. Nothing more, nothing less.

If MMA rules hold grapplers back and are the main issue, then think of all the street fights you have seen....

How many of them ended by clean technical submission holds??

I know that I have NEVER seen nor used a submission hold in a streetfight before, EVER. NOT ONCE in at least 40 fights.

I have used alot of grappling in streetfights, but never once used a submission hold.

But that's because of my striking skills, not lack of submissions skills.... :-)

What about you people in UG land??

How many submissions have you seen in streetfights?

How many times have strikes ended the streetfights you have seen??

Enquiring minds want to know....

The reason so many fight have been Tko was cause of the terrible stoppages they were having a few UFC ago. Also, add to the fact that people just pin their opponent up against the cage it makes it kinda hard to get a submission off.

I would like to see the ending percentages for the last 10 Prides though. What do I bet that there will be more submission victories than KOs.

Pulsar has caught a case of the correctness!

That is exactly what I'm saying!

I'm not saying that striking is the be all end all of fighting, I'm not saying that grappling is the be all end all, I'm not saying BJJ is worthless and useless.

I am simply stating that you have to have it ALL to compete in MMA, period.

You have to be able to punch, kick, knee, use takedowns, use positions, and use submissions to be a complete fighter nowadays...

Goku, you have no argument because you're retarded.

I suppose it is all just a UFC conspiracy to make people think that striking is more effective then??

Yep, it's definitely just Dana White pushing his anti-BJJ agenda by choosing more strikers than grapplers.....

Yup Goku, it's all a CONSPIRACY.... :-)

NEXT!! :-P

LOL at Untappable!!

That is so correct.

Who is really JUST a striker or JUST a grappler anymore??

If anyone is, I'd like to welcome them to the 21st century..... ;-)

Goku, why do you continue to make an ass out of yourself?

Why even pretend like you have an argument??

Yep, it's definitely just a CONSPIRACY AGAINST YOU!!!

Yep, it's all Dana White and his STRIKER PROPAGANDISTS!!! :-)

BTW I haven't heard one story about how submissions ended a streetfight.

I'm sure it's happened before....just not to anyone here I guess....

You need to change your categories.

Not all of those striking victories were ended on the feet. I bet the majority of them were done on the ground or up against the fence.

To pound someone to victory you need to grapple them to the ground and maintain that position. Then once you control the opponent you can either pound them or sub them.

Your study should have 3 categories

1. Finishes due to strikes when both men standing

2. Finishes due to strikes when men are on the ground

3. Finishes from a submission hold