Success with anti depressants?

Anybody have their life changed by meds, tried what you could before going on them, put it off, didn't want to but have them a try? No side effects, but just a changed outlook on life, got their life back.

Also, who had therapy help them? Had no obvious "events" to require it but went and had them find something or just help you feel "normal" again?

What were your symptoms? Depression, anxiety, anger, suicidal???

I tried some meds a kind time ago and stopped before they probably even started helping. Had the sexual side effects. Tried therapy twice, very little didn't like Dr's. Wasn't enough to help anything. Feel I've been waiting for it to get better, maybe it's "situational" general practitioner thinks otherwise. Its been 10 years since I started to realize I needed to try something. Keep doing the "man" thing and saying suck it up sissy, but I'm tired. I want to feel good......or just, not bad.

Wow FRAT huh?

in

had a few really tough years about 15 years ago.  was on them for a year or 18 months.  they definitely helped get me through those years but the side effects weren't worth staying on them.  things could be different today, but as time healed the wounds, the side effects outweighed the benefits.

I went on Zoloft about 4 months ago.

Little seasonal like depression, and stress and anxiety with high pressure job.

Took a few months for full impact and return to normalcy. Does not make me feel euphoric, but brings me 'level' back up. At work I'm handling stress 10x better (I had a 'are you fing kidding me!' like blow up, which is why I sought help). Therapist said I didn't require visits. 40ish with 2 young kids, taking care of dad, high pressure job, so made since situation I was in.

^first few months I can tell a minor loss of sensitivity, and decrease in sex drive, but it's not too bad.

209ese - Diet, exercise and meditation. Maybe find a therapist that works for you. You can't cheat your way to happiness with drugs, Ive tried.
That's the thing, gone through all that. Always "slip" and it takes my motivation to keep doing those things that should make me better. I understand your point but it's been a long time brother, just looking for any "success" stories.

If you can nut on them, that's a success!

U have to find a therapist that you click with. That's honestly more important then any qualifications they may have. Lots of research on this. The quality of the relationship the therapist establishes with you is the biggest single factor that will impact treatment. If you don't click with a therapist you aren't going to go to therapy.

Secondly, You will get out of therapy what you put into it. Therapy isn't magic(neither is medication for that matter.) It will take work on your part to get results. Have an open mind with the stuff the therapist says but ultimately it's up to you to decide what works and doesn't work, and to communicate that to your therapist.

All medication has side effects. It's unrealistic to expect otherwise. Even tylenol and cough syrup can be bad for you. The trick with psychotropic meds(if u chose to go that route) is to find the right combo that gives you positives that outweighs the negatives. Not everyone's experiences will be the same. Work hand in hand with a psychiatrist if you are going to go that route. I'd encourage you to do therapy first though. So much stuff out there can be resolved without medication.

^if it matters my feedback is based on the fact I'm a therapist and I've worked alongside psychiatrists for years

TheBearStare - U have to find a therapist that you click with. That's honestly more important then any qualifications they may have. Lots of research on this. The quality of the relationship the therapist establishes with you is the biggest single factor that will impact treatment. If you don't click with a therapist you aren't going to go to therapy.

Secondly, You will get out of therapy what you put into it. Therapy isn't magic(neither is medication for that matter.) It will take work on your part to get results. Have an open mind with the stuff the therapist says but ultimately it's up to you to decide what works and doesn't work, and to communicate that to your therapist.

All medication has side effects. It's unrealistic to expect otherwise. Even tylenol and cough syrup can be bad for you. The trick with psychotropic meds(if u chose to go that route) is to find the right combo that gives you positives that outweighs the negatives. Not everyone's experiences will be the same. Work hand in hand with a psychiatrist if you are going to go that route. I'd encourage you to do therapy first though. So much stuff out there can be resolved without medication.
The two I had felt like they were just there for the check. They weren't engaging me at all really, I don't know, like you said, didn't click at all. Just keep going to them til I find one??? Anything I should look for or ask?

Depression runs in my family.  It hit me when I was 25, six months after my mother passed away.  Tried to suck it up and "be a man".  It didn't work.  Went to a therapist, she had me take a test.  It said I was clinically depressed.  She suggested that I talk to a psychiatrist about meds.  I was 100% against that.  Over time I realized that she might be right.  The psychiatrist agreed that meds were right for me and he put me on Prozac.  

No regrets whatsoever.  As someone else stated, the meds don't make you euphoric or the life of the party.  The meds simply move your average mood to the level where they should be,

I do have the sexual side effects - it is more difficult to come.

It is a trade off I will make every day of the week.

Talk to a doctor.

Best of luck.

Have you tried psilocybin?
I know it sounds stupid but I genuinely think that I had a life changing experience using that drug. It's almost like it completely rewired my brain and whole outlook on life.

Seems that I have sen a thread months ago about an anti depression med that didn't have sexual side affects,someone might recall the name. Hope you feel better.

DaddyO4 - Seems that I have sen a thread months ago about an anti depression med that didn't have sexual side affects,someone might recall the name. Hope you feel better.

Wellbutrin. It isn't an SSRI.

NutJobJim - Have you tried psilocybin?
I know it sounds stupid but I genuinely think that I had a life changing experience using that drug. It's almost like it completely rewired my brain and whole outlook on life.

That is something I am actually interested in trying.  No idea how to get them.

209ese - Diet, exercise and meditation. Maybe find a therapist that works for you. You can't cheat your way to happiness with drugs, Ive tried.
This. The research shows that many things do just as well or better than the anti depressants without the nasty side effects.

DaveFu -
DaddyO4 - Seems that I have sen a thread months ago about an anti depression med that didn't have sexual side affects,someone might recall the name. Hope you feel better.

Wellbutrin. It isn't an SSRI.
I remember that thread

I dont have time for a detailed reply so ill just say that meds and therapy in combination have helped me greatly. If i had a bad doctot or shrink then things could have just gotten worse. That said, ive been medicated and without therapy for a few years now and im in a happy place.

All meds will have side effects that will be different for everyone. The thing is trying to find a balance that works. Some side effects will be more tolerable than others.

Valdoxan is pretty good for milder cases, no sexual disfunction. Cbt is the way to go though