Successful dojo storm?

Seeing a couple of threads about the Rickson/Anjo fight reminded me of this question I've always pondered... does anyone have stories/videos of successful dojo storms?  Where an outsider comes into someone's school, challenges them (or someone from their school) and wins? 

I don't remember ever seeing anyone post about this situation/outcome on here, but surely this occasionally happens?  

And while I'm curious about all answers, I'm primarily curious about BJJ schools - where an outsider (non-BJJ) comes in, challenges the instructor or top student, and wins?  

I was going to say bluey’s (then Cesar Gracie blue belt Jason Manly) dojo storm of 10th Planet JJ - but missed your 2nd post so apologies!!

Damien Riccio storming Robin Gracie's seminar.

It's no fault of Robin's, other than having the last name, but the Gracie Challenge still stood and Riccio accepted it.  You kinda live by the sword, die by the sword when you have that last name.

Robin, to his credit, after a seminar and a bunch of rolling, still honored the challenge and accepted it.

1 Like
Tmaguru - 

I don't know if I would call it a dojo storm but...

1987 - Had an instructor who owned a TKD/Hapkido school and also taught lessons at the YMCA.

Another local karate school guy had been telling his students and anyone who would listen that my instructor was

not legit.  He showed up at the YMCA one night talking shit.  They arranged a 'sparring' session at the other dude's dojo.  About half our students showed up and must have been all of his.  I watched my instructor tune this guy up for about 10 minutes not going full strength at all before they called it.

It was pretty clear the other dude could not fight.  I dont know if he was legit or not, it was very difficult to find out back then, but he damn sure could not fight.

Thing is, my instructor also boxed and if there is anything that traditional martial arts lack it is boxing / hands.  

We picked up a few of his students over the next month and that was that.

They recorded it but I never saw the video and always wished I could find a copy.  I suspect the other dude destroyed it.

If you’re going to make up a story at least make it about yourself, or did you think it was more believable this way?

4 Likes
whitson - 

And while I'm curious about all answers, I'm primarily curious about BJJ schools - where an outsider (non-BJJ) comes in, challenges the instructor or top student, and wins?  

Wasnt that how most Gracie challenges started? People from other disciplines coming to a Gracie school to prove that they were better?

WaltJ - 

It's no fault of Robin's, other than having the last name, but the Gracie Challenge still stood and Riccio accepted it.  You kinda live by the sword, die by the sword when you have that last name.

Robin, to his credit, after a seminar and a bunch of rolling, still honored the challenge and accepted it.

What’s the story here? I haven’t heard it.

TeamRenzo - 
whitson - 

Wasnt that how most Gracie challenges started? People from other disciplines coming to a Gracie school to prove that they were better?

Yes, and all the stories I hear have teh Gracies coming out on top.  So I would call those unsuccessful dojo storms.  

sanguine cynic - 
WaltJ - 

In for the Pepe drawing.

Damien Riccio you sonofbitch

1 Like
sanguine cynic -
WaltJ - 

Damien Riccio, a French MMA fighter,  showed up to a Robin Gracie seminar in Spain, and challenged him to a vale tudo match on the spot.  Of course, as the Gracie Challenge had been longstanding, and since the Gracies were probably the biggest dojo stormers of them all, Robin was somewhat obligated to answer it, though I seem to remember video of him being reluctant to (note: not because he was “scared” but because it was in the middle/end of a seminar he was doing a seminar with paying students still present).

I'm not going to pretend to really know anything about Robin, as I believe he's been in Europe for a very long time, but I seem to remember thinking that he was more of a sport JJ type than a "fighter".  He fought with Riccio for awhile, Riccio on top in guard, landing headbutts. After while, Robin can be seen lightly tapping Riccio on the head, so as to concede the fight . You can still see the encounter on BJJ Eastern Europe and other sites, just Google it and draw your own conclusions.  It was kind of an odd moment for Robin to tap, as he was very much holding his own in the fight, but rumor was that he had just rolled a bunch of rounds and was far from being fresh.  In any case, after what I would call a 50/50 struggle, Robin concedes, and Damien jumps up like he just won the Olympics and it takes on a life of it's own from there. 

This immediately starts a wildfire on this site, and soon enough,  Royce gets involved, wanting to challenge Riccio, and there is speculation that at some point, Royce kicked Riccio's dear brother, Pepe.  Riccio and Pepe, as well as Royce, both posted on this forum sharing insights, threats, and their sides of the story.

My memory is a bit hazy, so my recounting may not be 100% correct.  I believe the damage control story was that Robin said for Riccio to come back at a later time, and they'd run it back, which of course, was never a luxury the Gracies offered to anyone they stormed, so this is basically a case of them getting beat at their own game.  It was maybe somewhat of an unfair targeting, as I dont know if Robin ever participated in dojo storming, himself, but again, that's the business you sign up for as a Gracie.

I might be butchering the backstory, so maybe another UG'er who was here at that time could set it straight

1 Like

Well they did kind of run it back.  Royce sent Damien threatening emails. Then one night Royce and Robin and a bunch of other Gracie students went to France and attacked Damien at a bar where he was working.   Riccio posted on this forum seconds after it happened.  If you were on the forum that night you were part of history :)  I'm sure someone has archived the thread.

There were allegations of gunshots etc. but I don't know where the truth lies.

I believe Damien Riccio died a few years ago.

1 Like
Hairy Kerry -

Well they did kind of run it back.  Royce sent Damien threatening emails. Then one night Royce and Robin and a bunch of other Gracie students went to France and attacked Damien at a bar where he was working.   Riccio posted on this forum seconds after it happened.  If you were on the forum that night you were part of history :)  I'm sure someone has archived the thread.

I believe Pepe died rock climbing,  if the internet is to be believed. 

Tmaguru - 

I don't know if I would call it a dojo storm but...

1987 - Had an instructor who owned a TKD/Hapkido school and also taught lessons at the YMCA.

Another local karate school guy had been telling his students and anyone who would listen that my instructor was

not legit.  He showed up at the YMCA one night talking shit.  They arranged a 'sparring' session at the other dude's dojo.  About half our students showed up and must have been all of his.  I watched my instructor tune this guy up for about 10 minutes not going full strength at all before they called it.

It was pretty clear the other dude could not fight.  I dont know if he was legit or not, it was very difficult to find out back then, but he damn sure could not fight.

Thing is, my instructor also boxed and if there is anything that traditional martial arts lack it is boxing / hands.  

We picked up a few of his students over the next month and that was that.

They recorded it but I never saw the video and always wished I could find a copy.  I suspect the other dude destroyed it.

Of all the things that never happened, this never happened the most.

10 minute fight between TMA instructors?

Sure

Emin Boztepe beat up an old man who was a rival wing chin practictioner at a seminar.

WaltJ - 
Hairy Kerry -

I forget, was his name actually Pepe, or did we make that up?

I believe Pepe was Damien Riccio teenage brother who he claimed was beat on by the Gracies at the bar. (My recollection)

wiggum - 
WaltJ - 
Hairy Kerry -

I forget, was his name actually Pepe, or did we make that up?

RIP Lil Pepe.

Found a great article and video on the Damien Riccio incident.  Technically it was a seminar storm, not a dojo storm.  

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/the-gracie-challenge-that-went-horribly-wrong-robin-gracie-damien-riccio/

Seems nitpicky, but part of what seems crazy about the idea of a dojo storm is the idea of going into someone else's "house" and fighting them there.  Seems like there's such a high likelihood for a bad outcome.  

Royce came off weak in that. I guess the Gracie Challenge only applies when a Gracie wins.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - Royce came off weak in that. I guess the Gracie Challenge only applies when a Gracie wins.

In all fairness, the Gracie’s claim was that traditional martial arts were ineffective, so they would prove that by showing a glaring flaw in traditional marital arts (no grappling ability).

I frankly think its pussy to be a roided out pro-MMA fighter, then wait for some no-name (ok lesser known) Gracie to finish his 2 hour seminar, before calling him out for a fight.

The Gracies didn’t claim every member of the family could beat any person alive.

1 Like