SUGAR RAY LEONARD vs MARVELOUS MARVIN HAGLER 20 YR

20 YEARS AGO TONIGHT!!!

I simply cannot stop myself from shamelessly sharing my story and photo one more time. It's a very special day, and as soon as the Leafs win this game agains Tampa I'm going to watch this fight again in lieu of 20 years!

FRAT bypass warning...

April 6th 1987 still goes down as one of the best nights of my life. I met Sugar Ray Leonard about 16 months prior at the Cabbagetown Boxing Club in Toronto when my coach asked me the day before, "Do you wanna meet Sugar Ray kid?", to which I obviously said "Uhhh, YEAHHH!". He told me to be in the gym an hour early the following day, and not to tell the other kids. When I arrived the gym was full of Toronto media and Ray was sparring with Shawn O'Sullivan (Canadian silver medalist at the 84 Olympics). I got to stand about 10 feet away and watch Sugar Ray sparring and it was fucking awesome.

Even though I was only 16 years old, I was a big fan as my Dad went to see the Sugar Ray Leonard/Roberto Duran fight in Montreal in 1980 and brought me back the program from the fights. At that time I had been watching Ray and his young son in those 7UP commercials when I was like 10 or 11 years old, so was becoming a fan as a result his commercials, and owning the program from his fight (in which my Dad was pulling for Duran).

Anyways, when he announced he was coming back to fight Hagler after his retina surgery nobody gave him a chance. In fact, the fight had the same underlying tone as the Ali/Foreman fight from the previous decade in which the experts genuinely feared for Ali's wellbeing. I went to watch the ppv on the large screen at Maple Leaf Gardens with thousands of people, and at first it seemed like every round Leonard survived was a feat in itself. In round nine when he threw that flurry off the ropes when Hagler looked like he was going to pummel him in the corner……I left a part of my voice in the Reds (seating section) that remains there today. By the 12th I was happy to see him on his bicycle, playing it safe and stealing the round.

Then came the decision. I was insanely happy, went out and got so drunk and high with the 9 buddies I dragged to the fights and had an absolute blast. It all culminated into the perfect night for me, and still one of my most memorable because it truly was the first fight that I was purely invested in entirely on my own accord, not on television at home with my mom, lol! You may call me biased like others have over the years, as my picture with Sugar Ray still hangs proudly in my gym right above my picture with Dan Henderson, but I will always remain steadfast in my very strong opinion Leonard did all that was necessary under the circumstances to win that fight. Even if the decision had gone to Hagler, Leonard would have walked away the winner simply by surviving the fight when people genuinely feared for both his short term and long term well being. Even with the decision, Hagler would not have walked away feeling like a winner.

Sugar Ray Leonard won that fight!

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!!!

Hagler was robbed. Wish there was a rematch.

30 years, bro.

We old as fuck

Ive asked my old school boxing friends if Money could have hung with Haggler, Sugar Ray, Duran, and the Hitman. They all say he could have, I hated hearing that.

Jack Carter -

30 years, bro.

We old as fuck

Holy fuck........30 years! That was no typo, I genuinely lost a decade in my mind tonight. Damn, age is no joke, it happens fast.

i was hoping it was 20 years cause it seemed like a real long time.I thought Leonard clearly won but great fight

Tim Duncan - Ive asked my old school boxing friends if Money could have hung with Haggler, Sugar Ray, Duran, and the Hitman. They all say he could have, I hated hearing that.

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him out, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd's guard, and the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I'd take hearns, hands down.

Leonard has equal or more ring intelligence than Floyd, and the heart of a lion! Floyd can't match Ray's heart, and I think that would be the difference because Leonard would find him, and maybe even outsmart him.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night the way Ray did.

Signed

Old School Bias!

you met leonard? wow

hagler was such a stud

sgotwalks -
Tim Duncan - Ive asked my old school boxing friends if Money could have hung with Haggler, Sugar Ray, Duran, and the Hitman. They all say he could have, I hated hearing that.

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him on, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd guard, the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I take hearns, hands down.

Leonard has equal or more ring intelligence than Floyd, and the heart of a lion! Floyd can't match Ray's heart, and I think that would be the difference because Leonard would find him, and maybe even outsmart him.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night.

Signed

Old School Bias!

I like it!

I seen srl in Hawaii, didnt look like much bit Id never disrespect him

sgotwalks -

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him on, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd guard, the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I take hearns, hands down.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night.

Signed

Old School Bias!

duran eats him up? hmmm... was leonard as fast and elusive as PBF?

hearns do better vs PBF than vs SRL?

I guess once we see PBF vs SRL it answers a lot of other questions

Wayne Shamrock -
sgotwalks -

Not in my opinion.

Signed

Old School Bias!

duran eats him up? hmmm... was leonard as fast and elusive as PBF?

hearns do better vs PBF than vs SRL?

I guess once we see PBF vs SRL it answers a lot of other questions

Of all the statements I made, I think the one I'm most confident in is Duran eating up Floyd and spitting him out. I'm saying if you take Floyd at his best, and Duran at his best and meanest, Floyd has his heart removed from his chest early.

The Hearns assessment is in relation to the 'heart of a lion' reference to Leonard. What hearns was doing to Ray in that first fight would have defeated most fighters by round 8, but Ray turned that shit around on sheer will. Floyd's never been put in that position, but I believe a prime Hearns could easily put him there, and I don't think Floyd would have the jam to turn it around the way Ray did.

As for Leonard out speeding Floyd, I say yes.....

^ I'm not saying you're wrong... or right... its a long way back to consider.

I still say PBR vs SRL is the fight that sets the stage

Wayne Shamrock -

Of course, it's all subjective, but this is what we do.........debate these fights that can never be proven one way or another, and for that reason I am absolutely not wrong!

Also, I was editing my last post to include a reference to why i think Hearns would win while you we posting this already.

... reminds me of why I love Passive Jay... showing those Kronk photos. such an historic gym

sgotwalks -
Wayne Shamrock -

Of course, it's all subjective, but this is what we do.........debate these fights that can never be proven one way or another, and for that reason I am absolutely not wrong!

Also, I was editing my last post to include a reference to why i think Hearns would win while you we posting this already.

that's why I'm here bro... wondering, considering

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/Detroits-Kronk-Gym:2310294-1

If there were one decision in all of combat sports I could see the wrong decision righted, it would be this one. Hagler won! Fucking Jo Jo Guerra

sgotty, you did a cabbagetown thread. was it ever a cabbagetown boxing thread? can't recall

Wayne Shamrock -

sgotty, you did a cabbagetown thread. was it ever a cabbagetown boxing thread? can't recall

I can't recall if I did a thread or a post, or anything at all regarding the Cabbagetown Gym. However, I see that you just bumped one of my old threads on the Leonard Hagler fight from a couple years ago that I didn't recall making, lol! Man, I'm watching my mother-in-law's alzheimers advancing by the day and I swear, I'm not far off myself!