SUGAR RAY LEONARD vs MARVELOUS MARVIN HAGLER 20 YR

sgotwalks -
Wayne Shamrock -

sgotty, you did a cabbagetown thread. was it ever a cabbagetown boxing thread? can't recall

I can't recall if I did a thread or a post, or anything at all regarding the Cabbagetown Gym. However, I see that you just bumped one of my old threads on the Leonard Hagler fight from a couple years ago that I didn't recall making, lol! Man, I'm watching my mother-in-law's alzheimers advancing by the day and I swear, I'm not far off myself!

no. you turned me onto cabbage town once. and you hit some great boxing threads. you're just gonna have to accept me bumping them till I find what I set out to find

p.s. sorry to hear about you mother in law... I know you have support. you know you can hit me PM anytime

I thought Hagler won but it was close. It wasn't a robbery in any way. Both were past it but Hagler was more so. His reflexes weren't there anymore. That Hearns and Mugabi fight took a toll. Hagler/Mugabi round-I want to say 6-was out of this world brutal. They were bombing on each other.

The lifestyle outside of the ring took a toll on both of them as well with all the drinking and Coke. Leonard would get fucked up and use his wife as a punching bag.

Jack Carter - 

30 years, bro.

We old as fuck

This is the 2nd time tonight that I thought I might be a time traveler.

aryaseyeballz -
Jack Carter - 

30 years, bro.

We old as fuck

This is the 2nd time tonight that I thought I might be a time traveler.

don't question our generation's domination

sgotwalks -
Tim Duncan - Ive asked my old school boxing friends if Money could have hung with Haggler, Sugar Ray, Duran, and the Hitman. They all say he could have, I hated hearing that.

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him out, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd's guard, and the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I'd take hearns, hands down.

Leonard has equal or more ring intelligence than Floyd, and the heart of a lion! Floyd can't match Ray's heart, and I think that would be the difference because Leonard would find him, and maybe even outsmart him.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night the way Ray did.

Signed

Old School Bias!

Yes.

In a 15 round title fight at 135 pounds theirs never been a man that could beat Roberto Duran. He was simply unbeatable at that weight.

Remember getting up early the next day to watch a tape delay of the fight, with my Gran.

Still think Hagler won, but it wasn't a robbery, could have gone either way.

If ever I get a time machine, not going to invest in Apple, watch JFK get shot or see dinosaurs. I'm grabbing fighters in their prime and getting them to fight these matchups.

Awesome story OP. VU

Wayne Shamrock -
sgotwalks -
Tim Duncan - Ive asked my old school boxing friends if Money could have hung with Haggler, Sugar Ray, Duran, and the Hitman. They all say he could have, I hated hearing that.

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him on, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd guard, the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I take hearns, hands down.

Leonard has equal or more ring intelligence than Floyd, and the heart of a lion! Floyd can't match Ray's heart, and I think that would be the difference because Leonard would find him, and maybe even outsmart him.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night.

Signed

Old School Bias!

duran eats him up? hmmm... was leonard as fast and elusive as PBF?

hearns do better vs PBF than vs SRL?

I guess once we see PBF vs SRL it answers a lot of other questions

Leonard punched significantly harder than PBF. That would be the difference against Hearns.

Say this as a kid and thought what a fucking robbery

Style wise I think FMJ could give Hearns some problems like Benetiz. Although it would benefit Mayweather to have the fight held at 147 not at 154 like TH/WB was.

But it's hard to say in a way because of same day weigh ins and 15 round fights. Just a completely different era when Hearns was at his best.

BadDog -
Wayne Shamrock -
sgotwalks -

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him on, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd guard, the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I take hearns, hands down.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night.

Signed

Old School Bias!

duran eats him up? hmmm... was leonard as fast and elusive as PBF?

hearns do better vs PBF than vs SRL?

I guess once we see PBF vs SRL it answers a lot of other questions

Leonard punched significantly harder than PBF. That would be the difference against Hearns.

good point

Hagler won, IMO

I had Hagler winning this, but I loved Hagler and didn't like Leonard. My bias is a factor.

What a great era in boxing. Everyone fought everyone. 

sgotwalks -

Not in my opinion.

Duran eats him up and spits him out, then spits on what he spits out and sneers at all the spit!

Hearns finds a way to slip that long blistering jab through Floyd's guard, and the left hook body, head........not sure how effective the right hand would be against the shoulder roll, but I'd take hearns, hands down.

Hagler is too big for Floyd, he would bully the fuck out of him in the corners. Mayweather doesn't have the movement on his feet to stay away from Marvin all night the way Ray did.

Signed

Old School Bias!

Got any proof Ray had more heart than Floyd?

I dunno if it's even possible for a boxer to have a higher ring IQ than Floyd has.

PBF...

TFK_Mas Tisu - 

I had Hagler winning this, but I loved Hagler and didn't like Leonard. My bias is a factor.

What a great era in boxing. Everyone fought everyone. 

good call, after reading that, I feel the same way