Sumi Gaish and kimura trap illegal in IBJJF

nogidavid -
Josh Mancuso - 
nogidavid -

this already broke a month ago but no one believed us cause it's so dumb

As far as I know I'm the first to hear it in a rules seminar straight from the source. Phone Post 3.0

nope. new rules were covered a month ago before the euros

I apologize then.

Mods feel free to delete thread if it is obsolete. Phone Post 3.0

Hopefully those dangerous chokes are removed soon as well. Phone Post 3.0

delicious bass - It's just illegal for blue and purple right? And isn't it only positions trying to bury their head into the mat with head on outside in a dynamic way? Curious. Phone Post 3.0
Paul, blue and up will be DQ'ed. Juvenile and white will be reset in a neutral position. Phone Post 3.0

For the love of God, could someone create an alternate to the ibjjf! Phone Post 3.0

Good Mooning.

Thanks for contacting IBJJF.
We have no changes yet. We will publish all changes together in few weeks. Please, keep checking our website or facebook page.

Best Regards,
IBJJF Staff. Phone Post 3.0

I remember a few years ago Megaton talking about a few guys who broke their necks getting spiked from a head-outside sumi-gaeshi used to counter a single leg. I wonder if there were more serious injuries and they finally decided to make a rule change.

All complains aside, sport BJJ still isn't crippled by rules as much as judo. Yet. Phone Post 3.0

WARRIOR POET -
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - I stopped considering these tournaments legitimate a long time ago. They aren't even jiu jitsu anymore. What a joke. Phone Post 3.0

do you still consider mma to be mma? with all these rules and time limits and shit?

Do you enjoy strawmanning? Phone Post 3.0

nogidavid -
Josh Mancuso - 
delicious bass - It's just illegal for blue and purple right? And isn't it only positions trying to bury their head into the mat with head on outside in a dynamic way? Curious. Phone Post 3.0
Paul, blue and up will be DQ'ed. Juvenile and white will be reset in a neutral position. Phone Post 3.0

to me that seems backwards, if you follow the IBJJF's logic through it's the whitebelts who need to be dq'd as they're more likely to injure each other than coloured belts

Yea the whole thing is crazy, I think a better solution is to make a head outside single illegal, but I'm just reporting the rules that I have been told will 100% be introduced this year. Phone Post 3.0

the kimura trap off a single is my go to defense and i've done it many times. not one time have i come close to spiking someone on their head.

i don't get it Phone Post 3.0

What. The. Fuck. Looks like competition bjj is gonna be ruined for me just like judo was. Phone Post 3.0

Hang on, I knew about the sumi gaeshi thing but what's this about the kimura trap? U can't grab a kimura off an outside single? Phone Post 3.0

Well that's the stupidest shit I've heard today. Way to go fucking up sport bjj Phone Post 3.0

"Shemhazai , 10
1 day ago
What about the switch from the same position? Or just dropping back for a guillotine? All of these counters have spiking potential.

Maybe people will have to start countering head outside singles with Georgian grip uchi mata now."

What are you calling a Georgian grip uchi mata?
Do you have a link or a pic? Phone Post 3.0

Just looked it up.
That is my preferred counter to a single, though I will normally take a belt grip, rather than turning in like maki komi. Phone Post 3.0

This is a good rule Phone Post 3.0

I love standing kimura. this is really too bad Phone Post 3.0

just to add; are we allowed to grab the kimura and jump to guard ? figure there won't be takedown points til I let the kimura go Phone Post 3.0

Biggy - just to add; are we allowed to grab the kimura and jump to guard ? figure there won't be takedown points til I let the kimura go Phone Post 3.0

I'm not even sure how such a situation would occur, especially off an outside single.

Soul Gravy - Keep supporting the IBJJF, guys.

LOL

nogidavid - 

what about the sakuraba style kimura sumi geishi starting from a rear clinch ? is that ok as it's not a single leg counter

Knowing the IBJJF, they will insist that this variation is still OK. Even though it results in the exact same throw. Then they will change their mind in a couple of years.