Sunday sermon

The Fellowship of the Believers

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

I just wonder how much the first verse contributes to the rest. I mean, this is a pretty ideal church wouldn't you agree? Wouldn't you want to go there?

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

devoted themselves, this word does not mean they tried to set some time aside. Devotion.

Let me ask you a question, and myself as well. Does the word devotion describe your life?

Simple stuff really:

the apostles teachings, we have them written down.

fellowship, spending time with the believers

breaking of bread, communion and or eating together

prayer, now I lay me down to sleep

I am sure you all do these things, I know I do. But are you "continually devoted"? Isn't it possible that the problem with our churches, with our spiritual walks, with our witness, with our care for one another, is a result of our lack of devotion? Now I am not a big fan of guilt motivation, but I am a big fan of truth.

It would seem to me if we want to see the rest of the passage, we must live out the first.

me first!!!

the rev

nice

you speak the truth....

sometimes people confuse guilt with the truth just like you said....very good point