Sunday Sermon

Elijah's cave

Elijah is not what anyone would consider a contemplative. We do not expect to see Elijah participating in silence, and stillness. This fire breathing prophet is not the silent type.

We see him not only challenging the priests of Baal to a duel, but then see him mocking them as they cut themselves and wail. He is not content to just win the battle, but adds insult to injury by pouring water over his own altar, yet when he prays, fire falls. And again not content he then kills every single one of these false priests.

When Elijah prays the rains stays away, and when he prays it comes back. When he prays people get healed. Miracles happen. He stand before kings and does not back down. But this great man of faith winds up in the desert, alone, burnt out, and faithless. He cries for God, to please just kill him now.

God gives him some food, and some drink, and sends him off to the mountain at Horeb, where he climbs into a cave for shelter. And God asks him, "why are you hear Elijah"

Elijah tells him that he has worked hard for God, but has failed, the enemy has killed all of Gods people, he is the only one left and they are looking for him to kill him now too.

God says, to go watch out the caves mouth. Elijah sees a wind storm of frightening power, tearing rocks out of the earth. This is the kind of man ELijah is, this is the kind of ministry he has had. The wild wind of God's power! But God was not in the wind.

Then Elijah sees the earthquake, and again Elijah was this kind of prophet. Always shaking things up, disrupting the order of things, but God is not in the Earthquake either.

Then the firey prophet, sees the fire. The prophet of fire, the one who called down the fire from heaven, the one who disappears into the heavens in a chariot of fire, looks unto the fire but God is not in the fire either.

God doesn't behave like we expect all the time does He?

Then in a still small whisper, Elijah hears God. God asks him the same question, and he gives God the same answer as before. And God tells him to go and find his prophetic heir, to place the leaders over the people, to fulfill his destiny, and tells him, you are not alone, there are still those that call on my name.

I pray that you may see and hear God in ways you do not expect. I pray that in the midst of the storm, and quakes and fires of this life, you will be sensitive enought to hear the still small voice of God. I pray that when you have come to the end of your rope, when you feel alone, defeated, and ignored, that God will speak to your heart, and give you a future to walk into.

When is the last time you made space to hear from God?

the rev

wow... I needed that... realy!

I pray that you may see and hear God in ways you do not expect. I pray that in the midst of the storm, and quakes and fires of this life, you will be sensitive enought to hear the still small voice of God. I pray that when you have come to the end of your rope, when you feel alone, defeated, and ignored, that God will speak to your heart, and give you a future to walk into.

Damn....

When is the last time you made space to hear from God?

*sigh* I wanna smack myself. I honestly don't know. Although i try....

edit cuz it doesn't matter

You see why I stopped these? one person commented, I get the feeling no one cares. Thanks Yuki, glad it blessed you, maybe I'll just email you next time.

the rev

Perhaps you could change it to Monday Sermon. :-)

Then people would have time at work to comment it.

Fact is, this text fuels the reason to believe that John the Baptist, Elijah┬┤s reincarnation, deserved to have his neck cut. Action and reaction.

please don't stop, I found it really interesting too. Just felt too dumb to comment, sorry

I have read everyone you have posted since I have been here.  I enjoy them.  I will read it later.  I have to head out.  

Rev

Just curious. Do you write these texts to make people think or to make them comment them?

interesting viewpoint.

Rev, I read a lot of your sermon threads, and have been blessed by them many times.

I read a lot of stuff on here that I don't comment on...I'm just not big on debate and discussion on the net. Usually I'll take the stuff from the HG that makes me think, and use it to start conversations out in the "real world". I have actually shared thoughts and ideas from sermon threads, and from some of the stuff you've posted on your website, with people out here who probably will never be on this forum.

I'll start at least giving a TTT when I've read through a sermon...

Larry

Great stuff Rev.

Please forgive me?

Sorry Guys, sometimes I get a bit frustrated, I get the feeling if I started a thread titled "why fundies are stupid" it would be three pages long by the time I checked back in. I would love to read more of these than the arguements.

Please forgive my sensitivity.

MS, that sounded a bit condescending to me, (not that it was, just maybe a bit insecure around a real scholar of the old testement) Would love to hear your interpretion and even critique of my message.

the rev

Good stuff Rev (as always).......really hit home actually

John, I always read your messages. I don't always comment because...well I don't always comment to pastor's whose sermons I've heard. I always read them...sometimes I like to just silently reflect on the words.

Here's one;

The four phenomena that God sent before His appearance wind, earthquake, fire, and a still small voice were to instruct Elijah about the destiny of man. God told Elijah that these four represent the worlds through which man must pass: the first stands for this world, fleeting as the wind; the earthquake is the day of death, which makes the human body to tremble and quake; fire is the tribunal in Gehenna, and the still small voice is the Last Judgment, when there will be none but God alone.

MS

You say God told Elijah this, but that is not in the bible, is that in one of your other books?

the rev

Good stuff.  Reminds me that God speaks to me all the time.

I'm interested also in where MS got that from.