Superheroes Decoded - History Channel

Did anyone see the documentary Superheroes Decoded - History Channel?  The second part is on tonight at 9 PM.

I'm about 45 minutes in.  So far, it's nothing special, although they have assembled a solid group of people to talk with.  It is a bit mind-bottling to watch the origin of Captain America when you know what Marvel has done to the character recently.

Yeah the people are great on there. What has been done to Captain America? Sorry I don't follow the comics too much.

Outkaster - 

Yeah the people are great on there. What has been done to Captain America? Sorry I don't follow the comics too much.

Captain America -- the one you knew and loved -- died and was recreated by a cosmic cube so that he was a Hydra agent from birth (officially, Marvel is saying that Hydra is different from being a Nazi, but even if you buy that, does it matter).  Marvel is currently running an event where Captain America and Hydra have launched a coup d'état and taken over the US.

In short, take everything you love about the character and turn it around.  That's what Marvel has allowed writer Nick Spencer to do.

Wow that is terrible...are comic sales that bad that it has to come to that?

Outkaster - 

No.

Marvel was crushing DC....then they turned Cap.  Now DC is gaining back ground, big time as Marvel's sales as falling.  It's too early to tell if the current Cap is evil, event is tanking from a sales perspective, but if there's any justice, it will tank -- hard.

Yeah I would think so.

I recorded it and haven't yet watched it. I didn't know there was a part w on tonight.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yes at 9 PM.

Marvel has been pushing a SJW agenda for awhile and there's been quite a lot written and blogged about it. 

Overall, I think DC is writing much better stories with their Rebirth line. 

It was pretty cool last night but they went over the same stuff. I never knew that much about Falcon.

paw - 
Outkaster - 

No.

Marvel was crushing DC....then they turned Cap.  Now DC is gaining back ground, big time as Marvel's sales as falling.  It's too early to tell if the current Cap is evil, event is tanking from a sales perspective, but if there's any justice, it will tank -- hard.

awful. i agree. 

LiveWire - 

Marvel has been pushing a SJW agenda for awhile and there's been quite a lot written and blogged about it. 

the reason that marvel is stupid for doing this, is that the readership is mostly likely primarily white teenage boys who want an escape for sjw in the media and school, rather than have it shoved down their throats. 

white=nazis probably doesn't appeal to them. 

yusul - 
LiveWire - 

the reason that marvel is stupid for doing this, is that the readership is mostly likely primarily white teenage boys who want an escape for sjw in the media and school, rather than have it shoved down their throats. 

I disagree.  Marvel isn't writing good stories at the moment and they are relying too heavily on events.

paw -
yusul - 
LiveWire - 

I disagree.  Marvel isn't writing good stories at the moment and they are relying too heavily on events.

this! the problem is the writing. books that are heavily considered "sjw" by people who dont actually read comics are selling well when reviewed well. comic fans have so much choice these days that if the writing sucks we move on and if its good we'll read it. thats why the initial new ms marvel stuff was selling amazingly well. i havent kept up recently so not sure how its doing now. but rhe writing was so strong that people were digging it and buying. dc never had a "sjw" agenda but was selling like shit post new 52 because almost everything bar batman and a couple others sucked hard and the events were terrible. now the tables have turned.

UGCTT_omzzy - 
paw -
yusul - 
LiveWire - 

this! the problem is the writing. books that are heavily considered "sjw" by people who dont actually read comics are selling well when reviewed well. comic fans have so much choice these days that if the writing sucks we move on and if its good we'll read it. thats why the initial new ms marvel stuff was selling amazingly well. i havent kept up recently so not sure how its doing now. but rhe writing was so strong that people were digging it and buying. dc never had a "sjw" agenda but was selling like shit post new 52 because almost everything bar batman and a couple others sucked hard and the events were terrible. now the tables have turned.

off topic....I'm still digging Ms. Marvel.  If I had to make a list of "must read" from Marvel, that might be the only book on the list.  G. Willow Wilson is killing it, imo.  Marvel's other "high profile" writers are kinda stuck at the moment because of all of Marvel's events.

Here's another problem with events - solo titles either cross-over with the event (meaning the regular writers have to figure out how Daredevil --- or whoever --- comes into the event) or you ignore it completely.  But here's the catch-22: If Daredevil was so important to the event, Daredevil would BE in the event.  But he isn't, so the reader knows that the Daredevil comics with the "Event Tie In" logo stamped on it doesn't really matter and the reader can save $3.

If Daredevil ignores the event, it tells the reader that the event doesn't matter - because it's not making any bit of difference to Daredevil.  So the reader can safely pay $3 for Daredevil and skip the event.

Readers have figured out that they don't have to buy the event and every single title that has the "Event Tie In" logo on it.  And it doesn't help that the last Marvel event that didn't suck was two years ago, maybe longer.