Superstar Judo

Never truer spoken.  If you think back on your competition wins/losses.  The best compliments were when I lost and gave 100% even though my opponent was muck better than me. I was fighting for my "life" out there and knew it.   No one ever complimentated me on wins.  People think it is easy even though it wasn't.  SuperStar judo has excellent training video's by ex superstars.  

MarsMan - Dammit Aaron!

I'm addicted to those videos now...

I can watch the 20 second promos all day. One of the most exciting parts is when they introduce a new Superstar or technique of the week. They usually do this every Sunday night. I can't wait to see who the newest Superstar is.  

Maybe great LOOKING videos, but... they're still teaching the incorrect (pre- Helio) leverage points.

Sort of related, but you should check out the Judo YouTube channel for tournaments. Again, fantastic production, and commentary from Neil Adams. Here's the highlights of this week's Grand Prix event in Tbilisi, and check out the armlock attacks in the first match - https://youtu.be/9LKKjnN6W7s

James

The IJF judo channel is amazing. The 25 minute highlight of the big events with commentary is awesome.

Sir Taps - 

Sort of related, but you should check out the Judo YouTube channel for tournaments. Again, fantastic production, and commentary from Neil Adams. Here's the highlights of this week's Grand Prix event in Tbilisi, and check out the armlock attacks in the first match - https://youtu.be/9LKKjnN6W7s

James

I agree. Amazing stuff. And it's free.

One area that Judo excels at is gripping and Superstar Judo offers some great videos dedicated to just that.    

Ole Bishof was a master grip fighter.  He was difficult to beat since he had the complete game, Grip fighting, throwing and mat work.  He did seminars in the US after his gold medal win in the 2008 81k Olympics.  I was told he was unbeatable on the ground from some fellow judoka.

judoblackbelt -

Ole Bishof was a master grip fighter.  He was difficult to beat since he had the complete game, Grip fighting, throwing and mat work.  He did seminars in the US after his gold medal win in the 2008 81k Olympics.  I was told he was unbeatable on the ground from some fellow judoka.

A complete grappler who was known for the Bischof roll (butterfly like sweep he does several times in this highlight).  

Sub

Great HL video. The standout thing there (IMO) is Bischof's positional awareness during the transition from standing to the floor. He was already moving to a superior position before the opponent had even considered the ground phase of the situation.

James

I dont understand how any of that can work while standing.

Badmonkey - I dont understand how any of that can work while standing.

The grip breaking and kumi kata? That's the great thing about the Superstar Judo/Fighting Films instructionals - they'll always show examples of the technique being used in elite level competition. Even the short clips above show the technique being used for real.

James

Starting this Monday on Superstar Judo Mongolia's first ever World Champion Khashbaatar starts a three week class on gripping. In the clip below Khashbaatar executes one of the most amazing kata gurumas you will ever see.  

In the Bishof clip he is doing his main throw used by 73k fighters, drop seionage. Also ouchi gari.  He always is attacking if you notice.  His best matches were against Jae Bum Kim in the 2008 and 2012 81k Olympic Finals.  Both matches are on Youtube.  Kim won 2012 and Bishof 2008.  He had no weakness in his game.  Mat work was superb.  

As far as Khashbaatar goes it is hard to emulate his judo with his Mongolian wrestling background and excellent balance/back strength.  I saw a video of one of the Japanese coaches, former 81k players (name?) visiting Mongolian judo practice and talked to them about thier judo.  He found out the Mongolians thought their back strength was the key in competition against the Japanese (was weak). The Mongolians use this and have developed traditional throws to met the international competitioin. They have some outstanding bear hug type throws forward, backward and to the side incorporated into their judo.  

judoblackbelt -

As far as Khashbaatar goes it is hard to emulate his judo with his Mongolian wrestling background and excellent balance/back strength.  I saw a video of one of the Japanese coaches, former 81k players (name?) visiting Mongolian judo practice and talked to them about thier judo.  He found out the Mongolians thought their back strength was the key in competition against the Japanese (was weak). The Mongolians use this and have developed traditional throws to met the international competitioin. They have some outstanding bear hug type throws forward, backward and to the side incorporated into their judo.  

Exactly. Need to put on closed captions for this interview.  

Here is the promo for Khasbaatar's tutorials which start tommorow. Amzing side note about Khasbaatar. Not only did he win gold at the judo world championships, but he also took silver at the sambo world championships. I wonder if any other athlete has taken first and second place in two separate grappling disciplines at the world championship level?

The top Mongolian women who compete in judo also competed in sport Sambo before the IJF banned competition outside of judo.  Dorjsürengiin Sumiyaa won gold in (Japan)2014 women's 56k Sport Sambo. She also won a silver at 2016 57k Olympics.

Awesome. Not sure how I missed this thread.