Supplements for Weight Loss?

I've lost about 30 pounds over the past months on nothing but a change in diet.  I went from 280 down to my present 250 at 6'5".  I'm still a lump but now at least I'm a lump who can and needs to start moving.  I did my first workout of Phase 1 of Taku's plan yesterday. 

I've been eating pretty well, very well compared to my previous ways.  I would now like to supplement my diet with something that will assist me in my goal of continued weight loss and overall general fitness.  Since I'm sure it will get asked, for diet reference here's what I had today.  I'm sure it's not terrific but if I listed what I would have eaten in October you'd get diarrhea just reading it.

Breakfast:  2 boiled eggs and 2 slices toast with jam

working Lunch:  about 5oz deli sliced turkey 2oz habanero jack cheese and an avocado

dinner:  2 grilled pork chops and kale sauteed with garlic and about 2t olive oil

Plus about 3 quarts of water and enough pumpkin seeds to get me through the day.

If you need any more information from me ask away. 

Do you eat fruit?

I would now like to supplement my diet with something that will assist me in my goal of continued weight loss and overall general fitness. More Excercise. You do not need a supplement. You need to burn more calories.There is no miracle, there is no shortcut, no secret.. Being fit is hard work. Accept it. Make yourself mentally tough and get the discipline that it takes and just do it.

I'd like to add that it isn't hard forever. My diet is solid right now, and it doesn't really take any work. The cases of pop sitting on the floor at work are just scenery now, like having a few extra chairs in the lunchroom.

Your diet though: kill the jam and toast (I have a jam bias though). I'd eat oatmeal instead, or fruit in the morning. I'd eat more protein too, 4 eggs instead of 2, add some protein based snacks throughout the day.

Pretty good though, it's just your breakfast that could use work imo. If I ate like that I would have less energy in the morning.

There is no miracle, there is no shortcut, no secret.. Being fit is hard work. Accept it. Make yourself mentally tough and get the discipline that it takes and just do it.No doubt that is all true... but IF you accept that idea that some supplements do have a beneficial effect... why not do the hard work, display the mental toughness, be disciplined... AND take the supplements?Just something to think about....

Okay.  So you're telling me that when your goal is to lift a house or run around the world then supplementation is okay to get those gains.  But if your goal is to simply improve your fitness to a point where you're able to play a pickup game of basketball without wheezing then you should forget about it and just work harder?  Hmm...

I do have fruit, but the wife usually eats that.  Not a big fruit fan.  I guess I could chop it up in the oatmeal.And toast usually isn't in the menu, hell, it's usually whatever is leftover from dinner.  Yesterday was unusual in that there were no leftovers.  As for the jam, it's mine.  I am doing a little personal experiment where I'm making all reasonable efforts to make everything from scratch.  So the bread and jam was homeade.  You would love my jam, bias or no :).  Usually I don't make bread because it's a pain in the ass so that's rarely an issue.  Protein I can definately up.

Right, homemade w/ tons of sugar right? I can live with strawberry, once in a while. Putting sugar on bread in every morning though, give me a break.

If supplements worked great, I would recommend them to you. Most of the weight loss supplements don't work well, if at all. If they did, why wouldn't everyone use them? People are looking for easy answers.

You want an easy way to lose weight? Eat less sugars and starches. Control the amount of calories in your diet to a reasonable level.

Right, homemade w/ tons of sugar right? I can live with strawberry, once in a while. Putting sugar on bread in every morning though, give me a break.

Not really.  And it's so stout that I probably used about 2t total.  If it was even pure sugar that's a maximum possibility of 32 calories.  It's kind of moot anyway.  This morning's breakfast was taco salad.

I'm not sure I am clear in what advice I'm looking for.  I'm not wanting a Dexatrim or Citrical type supplement that is supposed to magically burn off fat.  I have changed my diet to way fewer calories than before.  I did a quick internet calculation of what I had yesterday and it came out to around 1,300 calories.  Can't attest to its margin of error though.  I'm looking for stuff that can help in a way that creatine helps with gains in strength.  Noone thinks that sitting around eating a jar of creatine will make them stronger, but many take it to aid in their workouts.  I don't want a replacement for change in lifestyle, I'm wondering if there is anything that helps enhance the benefits of proper diet and exercise in terms of losing weight rather than getting bulkier or lifting more. 

Some studies suggest that green tea extract may aid in weight loss. Also, calcium from dairy sources. Hey, they're cheap and easy, worth a shot maybe?

I personnally found that green tea was good when I was eating oo little to be sustainable in that it halped my mood etc and made me feel less hungry (really good to chew when you have eaten your food for the day and you are hungry juyst before bedtime for example) but found that it didn't do much, if anything to actually cut weight, just made the diet more bareable. It also seemed to help if I'd really messed up and let myslef get properly hungry to not go and grab the nearest sugars I could find and wait for the protein to digest. Otherwise try a high protein low fat diet such as Dr Mario DiPasqual's Metabolic diet, worked for me (I went from 105kg to 75kg, though thats peak to peak, realistically its 105 to 82). It is all about hard work I was running every day before breakfast and doing classes in the evening. Also whilst eating too much is bad so is eating too little especially when you are close to your target.
Have fun and keep at it
Paul

ephedra worked great until our mighty Gov't decided to ban it. try Hot-rox.......

ephedra worked great until our mighty Gov't decided to ban it. Yeah... how nice of them. Just what we need, more government regulations and interference in the affairs of private individuals. Hope you all have read 1984 recently, cause it's coming...

One hour of cardio in the morning.

Weights/grappling/boxing at night.

No sugar, salty foods, or refined carbs. Get most of you r carbs from vegetables. Eat a piece of fruit in the morning. Get the majority of your carbs before noon. Oatmeal at breakfast is good. No eating, execpt a can of tuna or protein shake, after 7pm.

hey jackasses, he's asking for some supplement info? why not give him some? guilty. sorry bro, just got on my soapbox about supplements...

DNP

Its tough 7-10 days, but worth it.

Any other supplement is a waste of money. Save your money and buy some cans of tuna or chicken breasts.

f dnp unless your getting on stage that is retarded..

get your diet and training down pat then if your looking to add supps try out ALCAR / ALA / CLA and fish oil

definately up your protein and activity level and you will keep losing the weight..

http://www.qfac.com/articles/intake.html

extract: I see two major issues with DNP. One, DNP was found to have a low LD50. That means the dose that was found to make people lose weight is not much lower than the dose that can kill you! Secondly, the use of DNP probably causes a huge increase in free-radical production, so people should never ever use more than is specifically recommended and they should really load up on the antioxidants like vitamin C, E, selenium, NAC and lipoic acid. I would not touch the stuff with a ten-foot pole and think anyone who does is nuts.

dinitrophenylene

Ive, along with many many others, have used DNP with no problems.

Again, like I said in my first post, diet and training are the best way to go. But, to argue that DNP is not a good fat burner, or is too dangerous, is not correct.

Could you post a study or something showing it's safe? I've only heard bad things about it, but of course maybe everything I've read has been biased.