Supplements - Joe Rogan Kale Shake - Onnit???

I have a question. First off, that smoothie thing looked pretty disgusting, but I might try it. My question is about all those supplements.........is that really good for you? Holy fuck, that is a lot of stuff to be ingested everyday. I am admittedly ignorant on this topic, so my question is genuine. Is the body meant to take all of that manufactured goodness, or is it possible that there may be some long term negative effects that we can't see coming, as this is still a relatively new market, I think.

What is the deal with Onnit and their products, which I see Joe Rogan endorsing regularly? I'm back on the workout program, and at my age now it is not getting any easier, so I am genuinely curious about this stuff.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I figured this is the place with the most knowledge. Move thread if necessary.

Will try!

You dont need that stuff. With that being said, onnit's melatonin knocks me the hell out and keeps me sleeping Phone Post 3.0

I drink a similar shake 1-2 times a day and have been for 3 months ... I love it :) Phone Post 3.0

fuck that kale shake shit. Pan fry the kale in grapeseed oil until it shrinks and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. TREMENDOUS.

Joe's a good dude, but personally I'd steer clear of a lot of this stuff. The amount of pills he's taking is absurd.

He's a great front man for a company like Onnit because he seems like he's so full of life and on the ball mentally. The thing is though, he's always been that way as far as I can tell and I suspect that he wouldn't be that much different if he was just exercising and eating a healthy diet without all the others BS.

Chareth Cutestory - http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/

Nice read. I have worked for a large biotech company and one thing I have found is it costs 100's of millions of dollars to prove something works and is safe.

Coming from a previous background of the health club industry I can tell you know company will spend that kind of money to prove it works and is safe. The only money they will spend is to ensure it is safe and some minor testing (if any) on it's results. They won't take the years that drug companies are required by the FDA to show it will indeed do what it claims.

So there will never be the kind of references and testing that drug companies do. This is also why a bottle of supplements do not cost hundreds of dollars. Phone Post

Kale in the blender with spinach and 2 apples with a carrot and some hemp protein. It tastes a bit almost nutty the apples and carrot sweeten it up a bit. The key with kale in drinks is using something to cover the taste. My 2 cents. Phone Post

Neil McCauley - fuck that kale shake shit. Pan fry the kale in grapeseed oil until it shrinks and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. TREMENDOUS.

Little olive oil, salt, pep and bake that shit. Mangia bene, bro

Isn't Onit joes company? I'm sure he's a major investor, hence why he sells it so hard on his podcast and shit.

You can get everything in supplements from a healthy balanced diet so why not just eat properly instead of ingesting so many pills every day?

But like someone else said, I don't know enough about it to criticise it. Phone Post 3.0

malryan - Isn't Onit joes company? I'm sure he's a major investor, hence why he sells it so hard on his podcast and shit.

You can get everything in supplements from a healthy balanced diet so why not just eat properly instead of ingesting so many pills every day?

But like someone else said, I don't know enough about it to criticise it. Phone Post 3.0

Just to play devils advocate, it is nearly impossible to get everything your body needs from diet alone. We just don't eat the variety we need in order to get it all.

A multi vitamin is a must and if your body is responding well to whatever other supplements you take, why not take them. Of course you have to get passed any potential placebo effect to know of it is truly helping.

Joe has always been big on supplements. Long before his podcast and significantly longer than he has ever been involved with onnit. Busy people do well with supps. Phone Post

Standup29 -
malryan - Isn't Onit joes company? I'm sure he's a major investor, hence why he sells it so hard on his podcast and shit.

Just to play devils advocate, it is nearly impossible to get everything your body needs from diet alone. We just don't eat the variety we need in order to get it all.

A multi vitamin is a must and if your body is responding well to whatever other supplements you take, why not take them. Of course you have to get passed any potential placebo effect to know of it is truly helping.

Joe has always been big on supplements. Long before his podcast and significantly longer than he has ever been involved with onnit. Busy people do well with supps. Phone Post

Yeah I understand, even I take a krill oil supplement for omega 3 and I try and top up my b12, but I mostly try to eat really well and with variety, the only thing I disregard from my diet is junk food and sugar. I feel pretty good most of the time. I think someone like joe who leads a busy life and is quite physical probably gets great benefit out of his supplement program, but for most regular people I can see it as being an easy way out without eating properly and exercising. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post

try this.

kael, spring salad mix, cilantro, cucumbers, advocado, strawberries, red mango, almonds, aged cheddar with some mango vinegerette ..

and grill a tri tip, slice em up and add it on there. it's delicious Phone Post

"Just to play devils advocate, it is nearly impossible to get everything your body needs from diet alone".

Define "need", because most people don't have a special diet and most people are healthy. Doctors don't recommend supplementation unless you're addressing a specific deficiency. Multivitamins as standard is not something any reputable medical doctor would encourage.

Be very wary or buying into nutritional hype. Taking artificial supplements may actually end up harming your health. Quite a few articles like this appearing: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=205797

FRAT article. Conclusions- Treatment with beta carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E may increase mortality... We found that antioxidant supplements, with the potential exception of selenium, were without significant effects on gastrointestinal cancers and increased all-cause mortality.14- 15

You are much better off just eating a varied diet. It's not hard.

By the way that Kale Shake is absolutely rancid! I just make soup if I feel the need to supercharge my veg intake, it's approximately ten thousand times better tasting than that fucking swamp slime shake.

Can't see this video, but I'm guessing it's the one where Joe opens up his cupboard and shows 100 different supplements. Seems very excessive to me, but what do I know? Joe is 20 years older than me and probably still in better shape.

We got a Blendtec recently and we do make some smoothies almost daily. It's a great way to get a lot of nutrients that you're not getting from your daily diet. We throw in some kale, chard, spinach, banana, frozen blueberries, flax seed, almong milk, and coconut oil. Declious, and it makes your shit beautiful!

I put kale coconut oil blueberries strawberries two tb spoons of hemp hearts two tb spoons of magenesuim and water Phone Post 3.0

A lot of great feedback. Much appreciated. Everyone just got voted up.